Pride and Prejudice help please!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Flutey, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

For school I am writing a mini-essay type thing to be used as part of a group presentation on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I need to write about "Women's Role" focusing specifically on marriage and inability to inherit property, but I don't know where to start! I'm the same with all my essays- I can write the main body but I need help with an introduction! Does anyone have any idea of what sort of things to put into my intro?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I was always taught that a good essay starts by telling the reader what you are going to talk about, then you talk about it, and finally you remind the reader what you told them :tongue:

How about you find a pertinent quote from the text and use that as your first sentence? Along the lines that the BBC news seem to have been adopting recently (e.g. "'Eating carrots help you see in the dark'. That's the message from the....." etc).

Sorry, probably not much help....
  3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

If I knew what my essays normally talk about I would do that :tongue: It would be 'In this essay I am going to talk about something, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what because I go off topic so often. No doubt by the fourth paragraph I will be rambling about what I did at the weekend.'

'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.'
    There we go. Opening of the novel, opening of the essay! Then I can go on about people getting married :biggrin: thanks Dave!!!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Introductions are silly things. So are conclusions. Only because I can't write them.
    Have fun doing your essay, I have to write one about how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle portrays criminals in Sherlock Holmes.
    I usually kind of define the title thing.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Why did I never get to write essays on good subjects like that? :( I only got Shakespeare and stuff which wasn't anything like as interesting. :(
  6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm an English teacher and have no idea!! No seriously, start with defining women's role in society at that time - remember it was very different from today and then say that this is portrayed in P+P. Give some quotes from the text and discuss the use of language so portray this. Any more help just pm me.
  7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Don't worry we get Shakespeare shoved down our throats too. We've done an essay on the Capulet's as parents. Except it wasn't an essay we did it as an aural, much quicker. I wouldn't say the Holmes one is great the criminals are portrayed as evil people. He associates them with serpents and they have cheetahs and baboons running around their gardens. Holmes is funny though.
  8. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Having never read Pride and Prejudice, I can't comment on your essay shenanigans Laura. However, I am going to read this as the attitude to women seems sadly lacking today's sociey....:biggrin:

Seriously though, start off the esaay with intention, expand / discuss / analyse / argue and then present your argument in a conclusive manner.

Job done.
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The introduction should present your main ideas in condensed form. In other words, someone should be able to read the introduction and know the basics of your essay without having to read the whole thing. The body of the essay would then extend and explain the points mentioned in the introduction. I always found it easiest to write the introduction last, after I had completed the rest of the essay.