Prices to replate a tuba?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matthew, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost to replate an EEb or BBb Tuba in silver plate?

Also, is it possible to change silver plate to lacquered?

Any recommendations for repairers in the UK much welcomed.

Thanks! :)
  2. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Have a look at the McQueens web site

but you might want to make sure you're sitting down before you open the link. However, although I've not used them personally, they have a good reputation. I have had instruments re lacquered in the past and, when done properly, is money well spent provided the instrument is in good operating order.
  3. jonny1note

jonny1note Member

I've had a cornet silver re-plated at McQueens and it was an excellent job. Suspect that stripping silver and re-polishing brass before lacquering will take some of the thickness from the brass. Probably worth enquiring if that may produce any negative effect to the quality of the instrument.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Thanks both - I've asked for a quote - their work looks superb. :)
  5. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Don't think that there's an issue with the thickness of the brass, I think that the original finish is removed in an acid bath. It does have to be polished afterwards of course but I doubt if it's that aggressive.
    i did have a problem with a trom I had redone. About 3 weeks after I got it back, it developed unsightly dark patches where the bell wire attaches to the bell. They (must emphasise that this was NOT McQueens) said it was acid bleed from the bell wire solder and made 3 suggestions;
    1. Leave it as it is and put up with the unsightly patches
    2. Re do the job (not recommended as "it will just happen again")
    3. Replace the bell wire and re lacquer (recommended although likely to alter the sound)

i went went with option 2 and 4 years later still no unsightly mark and the instrument still looks like new.

it was a bit of a nightmare job as in their first attempt, their oven broke down half way through so had to be re stripped, their second attempt left the unsightly marks (I suspect the didn't get all the acid off from the bath but could be wrong) and then the final successful job. No issues that I've picked up from the brass thickness. :)
  6. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Gazabone - are you able to say who did the work for you so I can avoid them? :)
  7. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Sorry, not quite sure who it was. I had it done through a local shop who sent it off for me. I think they have changed who does their repairs since this.
  8. simonium

simonium Member

I can tell you who it was as I worked in the shop when Gazabone brought it in.... The company are / have been involved in aeronautics and used to do Besson's plating in the lottery era. In the balance of fairness they also did Gaza's Selmer Piccolo trumpet and that was superbly done. McQueen's work is very good as is Sterling - I believe that JennyT has some of her instruments refinished there.
  9. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Thanks Simon, wasn't sure if the 2B and the picc were done by the same people, and yes, the work on the picc was superb. In fairness, the 2B is still looking very good indeed and I appreciate the negotiations you did on my behalf. By the way, when are you coming out of retirement? It's been too long already.
  10. simonium

simonium Member

Always a pleasure to help sir. My retirement lasted two hours - until after we'd played at the Finals and my deputy euphonium and MD made some very persuasive arguments whilst at the pub!
  11. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

I think a certain company mentioned above have drastically improved things now since no longer working under contract to Besson. I know who i'd use after seeing the work of a few over the past couple of years! :)
  12. simonium

simonium Member

Tease! Do tell ;)