Price of used instruments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jan H, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Of course the price of used instruments depends on the actual state of the instrument, how well it was maintained and so on, but does someone have an idea if the following offering is a realistic one?

I am looking for a 2nd had Bach Stradivarius flugel. Someone is offering a 9 year old instrument, silver plated, for 1250 euros. New price was 2500 euro (for the price in pounds: multiply by 0.7 or so). Does this sound like a good deal or not? I'm going to have a look at the instrument this evening and try it out.

I've never bought a 2nd hand isntrument before, so if there are any other hints for things that I should look out for (hidden damage?)...

2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

You might want to check the serial number...and cross reference it with the tMP stolen instrument database which conveniently includes a Bach Strad Flugel stolen in Belgium.....

3. Jan H

I know, i submitted that entry myself ;)

I have the instrument at home now to try out. It's in absolute top condition, the previous owner took it to the music store every year for a check up, it has an additional trigger fitted on the 1st valve and all the mechanics are running perfectly. Only a couple of very small dents, almost negligible.

And it plays wonderfully, much better than the old Besson thing I have now :tup

So I think i'm going to take it :biggrin:

4. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

The price of a used instrument always depends on how much you want it - if you can afford the price and like it then get it!

Two triggers is useful as well. Go for it!

5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Well I would be looking for around £500 for my Strad flugel purchased in 1988....I believe you have a good offer there...take it

6. Jan H

thanks for the replies.
    I am now the proud owner of a "new" second hand strad flugel...
    complete with impractical, extremely big and heavy case ;)

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Only just picked this thread up...so belatedly "well done" Jan for securing what would seem to be a good buy.

The only thing with strad flugels (now you've bought it) is the quality of the soldering (usually on the stays, not the joints for some reason) and the lacquer. My bands strad had the dodgy joint securing the leadpipe to the bell redone about 4 times in 10 years - the first time when it was only 6 months old. Also the trigger anchor in the third valve slide falls apart (literally in my case - and just before a contest...). Bach lacquer is also legendary for being pretty flaky (in every sense of the word!!) but this might not have been helped by me accedentally dunking it in very hot water when washing it once. If you've got one without those problems you should be just fine. :tup

Otherwise they're a pretty good flugel. Have fun lugging that gargantian case around!! :)

8. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

True that some Bach instruments do have some quality control problems, however, if you had the stay re-soldered 4 times in ten years, then I would suggest that quality of your repair guys soldering wasn't up to much either as it was his work that came loose 3 of the 4 times!

9. Jan H

Like I said, the instrument is in very good shape. I can't see any problems with the soldering or lacquer. The woman who played on it previously took incredibly good care of it. If she's also selling her car, I may consider buying that one too ;). There are only a couple of very small, shallow dents. She told me they were caused by a customs agent at an airport, who almost "threw" the instrument through the Xray machine :eek::mad:

Bach flugels are very popular here in the Low Countries. They are used in most fanfare bands (along with Van Laar flugels perhaps). I've been told that they are supposed to be easier to play in the higher register, compared to Courtois flugels at least. Our bands front row flugels all play Bach, the second row is a mixture of Bach and Courtois as far as I know.

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ha!! Yes you may be right there. It might also have something to do with the pressure the player uses to get high notes....:eek: ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    year old instrument
    instruments
    New price
    following offering
    Does