preston contest 2004 (part II)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bruceg, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I guess I'll have to retract my original rant which was based on the naive assumption that these were national rules that I was quoting :oops:

You live and learn...

2. horn1

horn1 Member

Having always played in the North West I didn't think there was any variation in this rule. I've never heard of anywhere before that let you borrow players from sections above. It is a shame if this rule stops you from coming down to compete though!

3. twm_trombone

twm_trombone Member

Well i used to play in the North Wales region, and they've only started to introduce the borrowing of 3rd section players to a 4th section band. Apart from this you are only allowed to borrow from the same section or the ones below. (in that perticular region)

4. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

In Scotland it's all a bit different (Just the kind of people we are). I think that the reason we're allowed to bring higher section players in is because down in the lower sections, the bands are so spread out that playing guests from your own section or below is nigh on impossible. For example, the band I take is the only competing 4th section band around, meaning that if we used the North West rules, we'd be stuck at most contests. I don't think it's a problem really, and I'm pretty sure no scottish bands abuse the rules too much. Just one of those things I guess.

How is BT getting on....bound to be a new band from when Neil and me left. Good memories though :wink:

5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Well, as VC isn't driving it looks like I will be - well, as far as the bandroom anyhow! Looking forward to it tho!

Rach x

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, after all that excitement, it looks as though me and the other flixtonites will not be attending the preston contest after all. So anyone who is owed a pint will have to wait just a little bit longer!

7. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

anyone got a list ov competing bands?

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

from what i heard i think they've only just finished getting entries in so i'm sure a list will be coming soon...

9. :-D

i dont care who goes as long as my band win! :D

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

BigMamaBadger will be at Preston

Depending on how well/badly the band does, I may well remain in disguise. Or I might wear my fairy godbadger wings....

cya soon
    BMB
    xx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    preston
    North West
    Borfeo
    Scotland
    SBBA
  12. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

YAY! Preston + BMB = fun!

Wear your wings BMB...please!!!

Rach x

13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Alright, purple spangly wings it is. They'll go lovely with our lairy blue jackets....

Sadly I'm not as good as my brother at keeping bars open, being a bit of a wuss... :oops:

However I am playing timps instead of horn; I hit them for the first time in my life last night. Are timps good for anger management or what!?!!? :twisted: :twisted:

BMB
    Rebecca
    xx

14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Fine and dandy! Plodding along. Still with MF wagging away! Pete Shaw's just come back on top man as well. You should get your behind down here for a weekend of mayhem. Think the last time I saw you was in the bar at the Carnegie in May last year. I'd had a few as well! :guiness

Get it sorted lad!!!!

15. so who's going then?
    i aint playin, but probably taking part in the pint-glass lifting competition in the bar :guiness

16. NAS

NAS Member

Im there with Rainford in 2nd section :) .

17. skweeky

skweeky Member

im playin sop for blackpool 2nd section :D who else is in the 2nd section playing at preston??????

18. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

im there with Hebden bridge in the 2nd section (1st contest in the 2nd section for hebden bridge for over 20 years!!!!) should be fun :) :guiness

19. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

any champ section band gonna attempt to play harrison's dream by peter graham or concerto no. 1 for brass band by derek bourgeois at preston??? there my 2 fave test pieces by miles!!!!!! :)

20. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

It is tMP's policy not to reveal what pieces bands are playing at own-choice contests. Remember you never know who is reading it!

SQ

21. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

BT are going, I think Wire Brass are going too. Only 8 days to go peeps!!!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    preston
    North West
    Borfeo
    Scotland
    SBBA