Prestige - Tenor Horn

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brasswithclass, Sep 19, 2009.

1. I'd like to hear from prestige instrument users how they set up their instruments and use the tuning slide trigger. I apologize if I've asked something that is already covered elsewhere.

Cheers

Don Callaghan
    Australia

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prestige
    CheersDon CallaghanAustralia
    instruments
    prestige instrument users
    Prestige - Tenor Horn
  3. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Well I don't own one but the rumour is that the main tuning slide is very short, so if you need the tuning slide out a fair way the trigger mechanism is useless!

4. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

5. Yes thanks for this ... I've read (now) through the 20 or so pages.

Because of a secondary tuning slide (between the lead pipe and entry to the valve cluster which adds another cm and a bit I have my main tuning slide set to under a centimetre so I don't get these mechanism problems. Mind you I use my trigger a lot. So the trigger is not useless.

I guess it depends what you consider to be "the level" of your playing for your band. If only you could get a brass instrument that played true though its entire range. It hasn't been invented yet. But we can work towards it with the help of trigger mechanisms.

6. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

To be honest I've never even seen a Prestige up close yet never mind played on one. It does seem to be taking time for them to assimilate in to common use.
    As i've said elsewhere the trigger has to be considered as an integral part of the instrument, not just an after though to correct bad tuning and bad intonation. But the Prestige is a top level instrument aimed at top level players who know how to use it.....

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Owen Farr, who can play a bit, has taken the trigger off of his tenor horn (it's a York).

8. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Again proving that it's all down to personal preference. Owen Farr is one of the best horn players in the world right now BUT just because he has taken it off doesn't mean that we should dismiss the idea altogether.

9. I discovered that using too big a mouthpiece can affect tuning big time. I'm using a slightly smaller mouthpiece brigs a lot of intonation problems under control. I still have my prestige set up the way i described above but only use the trigger for a few notes. I play in an A Grade band so playing in tune is expected. The journey continues.

10. Martin

Martin Member

I tried a Prestige when I was looking to change my instrument. It was nice to hold and blow etc, but oh, so sharp.

My own band didn't rehearse that week and so I took it to another band. Played a piece where I was in unison with the flugel, with me being in the upper register and it was so sharp, it was painful and that was after we had tuned and using the trigger to it's fullest extent. I tried it at home with an electronic tuning meter and with the tuning slide set as far out as it would go and the trigger to it's fullest extent, I still couldn't centre the needle (I understand that electronic tuning meters aren't the be all and end all of tuning, but they do help).

I took it back to the shop where I was told that it had been returned 10 days after they had sold it as it was so sharp. That negated any thoughts that it was me and not the instrument (it also gave the shop the confirmation they were obviously looking for).

Needless to say, I bought a York (with the trigger) and have been really pleased with it. My tuning slide is never more than an inch out and, invariably, I am being told to push in when tuning. The trigger does come in handy at times but I don't have to rely on it too much.

The Prestige is a nice instrument and appears to be well made. You can get a nice sound out of it. It's just a shame that the tuning lets it down (or did) Admittedly, it was easily 18 months ago when I tried it and the tuning problems were known about then. It may be that Bessons have done something about it in the mean time.

Hope you find the right instrument. :)

11. Agreed about the sharpness .... please read the above posts on how to counter that problem. Im happy as with mine. Love the engineering so evident in the valves block.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prestige
    CheersDon CallaghanAustralia
    instruments
    prestige instrument users
    Prestige - Tenor Horn
  13. As well as swapping the ist valve slide and the 2nd tuning slide (near to the lyre block) i have had an amando water key fitted to it to clear out condensation (a nicer word than spit). I have a longer slide ordered B&H to complete the job properly as I now have to slightly extend the 1st valve slide about 4mm.

The main triggered slide is set to completely in and can be uses easily to flatten any note without getting jammed

14. HornPlayerMK

HornPlayerMK Member

In theory if a Tenor Horn is designed and engineered correctly and time is taken to ensure that everything possible is done to make tuning precise throughout the range of the instrument then it shouldn't need a trigger.

The new Yamaha Neo Horn does not have a trigger and every player who has tried it so far has commented on how accurate the tuning is and how easy and comfortable the range sits, particularly when testing the octaves.

Triggers on Tenor Horns and also Euphoniums are in some cases gimmicks and in other cases means to resolve tuning issues due to flaws in the design of instruments.

After all, why is there a trigger on a Prestige and not one on a Sovereign?

15. In theory .... hmmm agreed. No brass instrument is in tune right through the register. It's not a gimmick (to me) but a useful tool which i appreciate B&H developing. Why none in the past ... well the tenor horn has been a largely undeveloped instrument as far as research and development goes.

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

And we have learnt to tolerate some fairly shocking tuning issues in bands...