Prestige Cornet Hell !!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Teenibeen, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Teenibeen

Teenibeen Member

We have two teenage players who`s parents bought them both prestige cornets without asking advice first. The first has very slow valves and has been back to workshop and been told all ok ! the second is really flat at first I thought it was just the player but we have tried the cornet with other players and it is still very flat. A C is ok but the rest of the scale is def flat. Can anyone help us ? They will both be around 9 months old now so dont know if they come with a years warranty or not.

2. robbie

robbie Member

I think its just Besson in general!
    I just bought a brand new 928 cornet from a well know music shop! We've had to send it back to Besson because the 3rd valve trigger doesn't close properly and the valves arn't as good as they should be! I thought besson had put all these kinda problems behind them now..... obviously I was wrong!
    As for Prestige's I know two people with them and they both complain about rubbish valves.
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

just a quick post here.....
    My brother has just picked up a prestige , and says it's the best instrument he has played so far.
    Mike ( welshmike on tmp ) is a former principal cornet of the National Youth Brass band of Wales , Point of Ayr , BT , Salford Uni Band..
    he was also a member of YBS , So he knows a thing or two about playing a cornet.
    One of the points he raised were valves were very good and responsive , yes they needed a bit of working in but what instrument is perfect " just out of the box". tuning was very good ( We were taught playing an instrument is about listening and blending , not just pulling slides in and out ) and is of very good quality.
    send him a message am sure he will be able to help.
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

(With the usual "I'm not a lawyer" type disclaimer here)

Sale of Goods act applies here. If the goods aren't of merchantable quality, reject them in writing giving the reason and stating that you want a refund. State that time is of the essence, and give a specific date for their response to be received by.

This assumes that you have had a competent brass player inspect and play the instruments and they are having the same problems as the owners.
  5. Teenibeen

Teenibeen Member

Thanks for everyones help. Our principle cornet player at the moment bought a prestige over a year ago and since new has been the best instrument she has ever bought quick response valves and great tuning hense the reason the other parents decided to buy prestige so we are measuring the other two against this good one and they just dont compare at all.
    We think they were a Friday night Lot !!!
  6. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Did they try the instuments before they bought them, or just buy them 'off the shelf'

You have to remember the instuments are hand made and differences will always occur (have a good chat with my friend Rob Simmonds from Besson at your next contest). If you play 5, then you will get 5 different instruments in tuning and valve movement etc.

Why Prestige I would ask (but then you say they didnt seek advice) - not because I'm anti-Besson (far from it) but I wouldnt consider it an instrument for a less accomplished player (no disrespect intended - I dont know their standard). For example, speaking to a vendor recently, they stated that some lower section bands are disappointed with the instruments, but they are using the tuning slide trigger as a vavle trigger, when it is not intended for that.
  7. davidsait

davidsait Member

The valves on my sovereign certainly needed bedding in.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Get them sent back to Manufacture to get them sorted.

You do not spend all that money to have RUBBISH INSTRUMENTS to play!!!
  9. Teenibeen

Teenibeen Member

Yeh if they had just spoken to any of the more senior members of the band we would have advised them just 2 buy their own soverign as that was what they were playing already in band and were sounding really good on. Its just that the other player who has the prestige has got a really good one which has been perfect and when she plays the other two she says they are not as good and that one is def flat as a pancake. We also had a player from Black dyke try them and she agreed that they werent as good as they should be for the money paid.
  10. em_d

em_d Member

i've sent my prestige back to the supplier twice within the last few weeks to have the valves sorted out and they're still really slow and heavy. i have to oil them virtually everytime i play because they stick. i've been advised to send it back to besson but who knows how long that will take to be returned!?!
  11. impycornet

impycornet Member

Is it New ??? Have you washed it thoroughly to get rid of the thick Protecting Oil/grease stuff they are coated with from the factory ??