Press Release - The Salvation Army buys British Bandsman

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Active Member

The Salvation Army, with the approval of the senior leadership of the UK Territory with the Republic of Ireland, has acquired British Bandsman magazine through Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd. British Bandsman has been published for 117 years and serves the national and world-wide brass band movement in the UK. The announcement comes in the year that the Christian organisation celebrates 125 years of Salvation Army music.

Managing Director of Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd, Trevor Caffull, set out the motivation behind the decision. "The Salvation Army is constantly looking for new ways of reaching a wider community and music is one of our methods for achieving that on world-wide scale."

Salvation Army music has been part of the fabric of British society since its inception in the 1870s, notably for playing Christmas music on the streets and through the memories of The Salvation Army's own pop group, The Joy Strings, who entered the charts in the 1960s. Hundreds of children learn to sing and play instruments at The Salvation Army every week, and it has nurtured numerous professional musicians.

On the sale of British Bandsman, Nicola Bland and Philip Morris, who have jointly owned the magazine for the past four years, said: “We have viewed ourselves as the custodians of British Bandsman which, over the years, has been edited and managed by such luminaries of the brass band movement as John Henry Iles, Herbert Whiteley, Eric Ball and latterly, Peter Wilson.
    “Therefore, our decision to pass it on has not been taken lightly. In reaching it, we were acutely conscious of the need to hand it over to a stable and yet dynamic company with evangelism for the pursuit of brass band performance and music, thereby safeguarding the strong brand that is British Bandsman. We believe that Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd fits all of those criteria."

Nicola Bland continued, "We would like to thank the readers and the marvellous support network of friends and contributors. British Bandsman has represented the greater part of my daily life for over 15 years, in which time it has modernised to reflect the times, whilst keeping a strong ethic of integrity. I'm looking forward to continuing my personal contact with readers and contributors in the coming months as production of the magazine transfers to Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd."

Trevor Caffull concluded, "We have ambitious plans not just for the development of the magazine, but also for the further development of the British Bandsman brand in other guises. It's important, whilst respecting and affirming a quality of tradition, that we look forward and develop a vision that enables us not just to keep pace, but also to continue to lead in the area of brass band journalism."

- ENDS -

Notes to Editors

Interviews and press enquiries: Sarah Miller, Salvation Army Press Office, Tel: 020 7367 4702 Fax: 020 7367 4728 Mobile: 07801 198439 or Cathy Le Feuvre. Tel: 020 7367 4516 Mobile: 07717 448232

 The Salvation Army is an international Christian church working in 109 countries worldwide. As a registered charity, The Salvation Army demonstrates its Christian principles through social welfare provision and is one of the largest, most diverse providers of social welfare in the world. The Salvation Army has over 1.5 million members and 88,000 employees. Programmes include homeless centres, drug rehabilitation centres, schools, hospitals, medical centres, as well as nearly 16,000 churches worldwide.
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

First Doyen, now the BB. Am I the only person who is troubled by the ever-increasing influence in brass banding, primarily a secular activity, of an organisation which exists to promote a religious cause?
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

As long as they don't tell me to avoid a pint after a rehearsal or concert, I don't care. :guiness

In fact, knowing how constant the SA is, I think it helps reassure the strength of the BB movement to know there will always be at least one solid BB magazine and at least one solid publisher.

(I'd also rather see them spend Mrs. McDonalds money this way than any other :wink: )
  4. DublinBass

P.S. Maybe I like the SA a bit because they are the ones really responsible for the BB movement being where it is today in America (where in the UK it may have been the mining industry)
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

hmmmm, certainly makes for interesting reading - the press announcement that is. Sounds like another little piece of Brass Banding heritage has just disappeared.

Interesting to see it on tMP first though as opposed to reading it in the British Bandsman.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's certainly an interesting development, particularly coming at a time when the BB has received much criticism both here and elsewhere. Hopefully it will have its editorial independence and will not just become another marketing tool, but will have a staff team ready to ask the difficult questions, and not afraid of offending anybody.

I certainly wish them well, although I'm sure there will be opposition to the move both within the SA and from the banding world in general.
  7. DublinBass

Based on the press release it seems that the tradition WILL NOT die out.

Also, wasn't it it you RT who was a bit critical of the current periodical being a bit behind. (SEE

Hopefully, when they speak of further development, they will address that issue.
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

It certainly was me, but I'll give them a fair trial to see if the magazine improves, although somehow I can't quite see the main focus being on secular bands, which is the little bit of 'heritage' I was referring to.

I certainly wish Trevor and his team all the best in this venture and I will look forward to seeing the Salvation journalists at all our Sunday Contests.

9. Active Member

Subscribers to the BB start to receive their copies from today so it was right to make this posting this morning.
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

HeHe :lol:
    Good point though !
  11. Active Member

You don't have to be a Salvationist to work for The Salvation Army or for SP&S.
    There are quite a few non-Salvationists working at Territorial Headquarters, they must be the ones I see taking fag breaks!
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Great news , might see some unbiased reporting now...maybe look after the needs of all bands instead of just a few elite sections of bands..
  13. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

You mean the BB actually had reporters at all the other Sunday contests? :shock: :shock:
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they use the same one who did the write-up of the closing concert at the Europeans, taking details from the programme instead of what was actually played :oops: :oops: :oops:
  15. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Well, quite. I draw the readers' attention to this quotation from the press release above:

"Trevor Caffull, set out the motivation behind the decision. "The Salvation Army is constantly looking for new ways of reaching a wider community.."

The SA is a global organisation, and like all global organisations it has a product or service to 'sell'. And what it has to 'sell' is its preferred religion. And religion, unlike the products and services of so many other global organisations, can be a distinctly contentious issue.

This is 21st century, multicultural Britain - like it or not. Despite the wealth of diverse religions in this country, most of them are distinctly under-represented in the average brass band, as far as I can see. One might think, with the the decline in the number of brass bands and kids learning brass instruments, we might want to encourage kids from other cultures to become involved, and I am wondering how a closer tie with an overtly Christian organisation is going to address that issue.
  16. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Or members of certain corps!!!!!...... Ahem!!! Hee hee! :D
  17. Highams

Highams Member

I for one think this is great news and that it will save the BB from just fading away!

Something had to be done as the BB has reached an all time low, with the threat of the Internet band sites looming over its very existence.

I look forward to great things and surely this must rescue the magazines failing subscription lists?
  18. Bones

Bones Member

I know for a fact Tabby Clegg was at the Brighouse one.

To be fair to the BB. They've got few staff and they cover what they can in a week. BBW have a month to put their content together. Unfortunately technology has taken over and we all get the gossip a lot quicker, via sites like the tMP and 4BR.

From a business perspective, I like the idea of BB being under the control of SP&S. I agree with the sentiments of a few. It looks to me, ( cynical outsider, who loves the secular side of banding :guiness )like a bit of domination, but let's wait and see, before we all burn them as witches (quote Monty Python)

19. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I saw no mention of who the (new?) editor will be, or where the editorial offices are to be located. It would be odd (inappropriate) for the BB to come under the control of the SA's literary dept. Maybe the BB is seen as an attractive proposition since the demise of the SA's "Musician" weekly some years ago.
  20. timjones

timjones Member

I found out on Tuesday, as it was in the Salvationist (our in house newspaper)!
    So all the staff at HQ would have known before BB readers anyway.
    Was the announcement embargoed until today?

And with regard to the new slant the magazine may take, does it matter that much?
    Cadburys sponser Coronation St
    HSBC sponser ITV Drama
    NPower sponser Test Cricket

These don't influence the shows, and I suspect neither will this