Press Release - RSA 85

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by WorldofBrass.com, May 11, 2007.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

On September 18th 2007, Lieut. Colonel Ray Steadman–Allen will celebrate his 85th birthday.

Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd are delighted to announce that they will be hosting a musical commemoration to the life and work of ‘RSA’, at Fairfield Halls, Croydon.

The concert on Saturday 22nd September, will see The International Staff Band [Dr Stephen Cobb] join forces with The International Staff Songsters [Dorothy Nancekievill], in presenting an evening that represents the rich, creative legacy of a lifetime dedicated to music and The Salvation Army.

Dr Stephen Cobb says ‘Ray is an iconic figure in the history of Salvation Army music making and we really want to make this a special evening. The challenge is in selecting from such a prolific output of brass and vocal compositions, a representative programme in just one evening.’

Details of special guests, ticket availability and music to be featured will be announced very shortly.

For further information on this press release please contact;
    Julian Bright, Group Marketing Manager, SP&S Ltd.
    Office; 01933 445 461
    Mobile; 07868 741806
    Email; julian.bright@sp-s.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Allen
    Stephen Cobb
    RSA
    Ray Steadman
    The International Staff Band
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just put it in the diary - should be a good evening ;)

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

and will hopefully be coming to a DVD player near me sometime thereafter!

5. WorldofBrass.com

I believe the intention is to film the evening, yes!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hopefully the DVD will include some commentary from the great man RSA himself. It would be a shame to miss out on such an opportunity to learn from someone as significant as himself.

7. WorldofBrass.com

On September 18th 2007, Lieut. Colonel Ray Steadman–Allen will celebrate his 85th birthday, and just four days later, on Saturday 22nd September, SP&S Ltd are hosting a musical commemoration to the life and work of ‘RSA’, at Fairfield Halls, Croydon.

We are now delighted to announce details of some of the special guests who are joining us for this concert.

Bramwell Tovey, Musical Director of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, will be joining with The International Staff Band to present FANTASIA FOR PIANO AND BAND ON 'CHRIST IS THE ANSWER'.

Susan Turner [vocal] and Derick Kane [euphonium] will also be presenting solos that were especially written for them by Colonel Steadman–Allen, in what promises to be a memorable occasion.

Trevor Caffull, MD of SP&S, said ‘To have such wonderful soloists joining with The International Staff Band and International Staff Songsters enables us to put together a really very special programme of music, representing so many aspects of RSA’s tremendous musical output. I am personally thrilled that Bram Tovey has so generously agreed to join us in what we know will be a truly exciting performance.

Tickets are now available, exclusively through Fairfield Halls Box Office on 020 8688 9291 or online at www.fairfield.co.uk

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's quite a coup, and should make for a memorable evening. (Hope the ISB are brushing up on their singing in preparation ;) )

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Great respect to the man, hes written some great music.

Also Campbeltown Brass have done quite a few concerts in Kettering SA Hall in the past, and we were honoured to have him compere a couple of the concerts and also have him conduct us when we played a few of his pieces.

10. WorldofBrass.com

The ISB contributions will be;

March - Silver Star
    Selection - By Love Compelled
    Fantasia for Piano and Band on 'Christ is the Answer' (soloist; Bramwell Tovey)
    Tone Poem - The Holy War
    Trombone Ensemble - Wonders Begin
    Euphonium Solo - Lyric Variations (soloist; Derick Kane)
    Tone Poem - Romans 8

The concert will be recorded for DVD release.

There will be a foyer concert at 6pm by The International Staff Songsters to launch their new CD 'Praise His Name'.
    The World of Brass and SP&S trade stand will also be in attendance so you can catch up on your purchases of all the latest recordings.

11. John Brooks

Happy 85th Birthday R.S.-A.

Only wish I could share the celebration in person on Saturday.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Allen
    Stephen Cobb
    RSA
    Ray Steadman
    The International Staff Band
  13. Mount Media

Mount Media New Member

Didn't get a chance to go to the festival as I live here in Ireland but wondered how it went?

What was the audience like etc?

I am relatively young and have been a great admirer since I heard Daystar on the Milsestone CD.

Adam Moore

14. John Brooks

Carl, can you advise if the DVD is in stock yet? I see it on the WoB website; just wondering if it's actually available of if you're taking pre-orders.
    Thanks....John

15. WorldofBrass.com

It was booked into stock about 10 days ago, John.