presents for a christening...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Aug 18, 2006.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I need help! I am happy to spend up to about £50. We don't want to get something religious as we am not particularly religious overselves. Suggestions??? It is on Sat arghhhh

2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

In your local jewellers (good ones) there should be a shelf full of items suitable for a christening present. Such as lots of silver items, boxes, scrolls, cups, etc. Also crockery from the 'Bunnykins' (I think it's called)range. I happened to be in my local jewellers yesterday and saw a full cabinet full of things to buy for a christening. It made me wish I was attending a christening soon, just so I could have bought something!

3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

You could get some stocks and shares and keep your fingers crossed!

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Thanks Susan. I thought about getting something like that but then she will probably get all that stuff in duplicate already! I thought about £50 in childrens bonus bonds? Any other suggestions for something a bit different?

5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Ooh, that just reminded me. For my son's christening (16 yrs ago :( ) he received £20 worth of Premium Bonds (National Bonds? whatever!). I've never checked them though! :biggrin:

6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Open a bank account with the £50. Set her up in the right way! May encourage parents to contribute a little each week/month. By the time she's 18yrs, she could have a real nest egg, all started by (auntie) Rachel. :biggrin:

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the savings account is a good idea. Encourages the parents to keep adding to it, especially if you keep asking "how much is in it now?".

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Plenty of options here: http://www.baby-gifts.co.uk/christening_gifts.htm

Including a name a star gift set for 40 quid, leaving you with a tenner to spare to buy yourself a spelling/grammar checker:

:p

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I once went to a 'new age' naming day come christening party. (I have some relatives who imagine themselves as cool hippy types - With their 2 cars, professional jobs, Exotic polluting holidays etc. but I digress.....).

One present someone gave was a high quality atlas of the world in which they had written an inscription saying something like "I give you the World, grow up it it, make it your playground. Treat it with respect and look after it..... and other such guff.. It was so sickly sweet that I wanted to throw up, but the parents thought it marvelous and were reduced to tears.

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ye gods! :eek: Utterly hurl inducing stuff!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    help
    something
    overselves
    presents
    christening
  12. Alisop

Alisop Member

I sponsored a giraffe for my friends baby. He got a certificate with his name on it. Their are loads of websites where you can sponsor animals or buy goats for families in the 3rd world.

An ideal present for the family who has everything and because its all in the name of charity nobody dares to be ungracious about it!

13. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Oooh I got liz a giraffe for her birthday once, she seemed to like it! Great Animals!

I havent been Christened, but when i was born i was given the complete set of Beatrix Potter books, hard back and in there own cases. They are in great condition as, obviously they never became regular toy box toys! Apparently they could be quite collectable now and worth quite a bit but i've never looked into it.

There my suggestion is either, something collectable that could be worth somehting. Or some form of book thing? Books are great and can last forever.

I'm not sure how suitable it is for a Christening, but would it be possible to compile some sort of Family Tree information? I think information like that is something that can be cherished for life- having lost touch with some of my family, it hasnt been until recently that i've been able to re-trace this info. Would have been great to have been aware of it as i was growing up.

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Get HBB to write a lullaby...

15. sugarandspice

Or fi to write a limerick!

16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Oh yes :| I'm sure that'd go down well! Deffo get ben to write a lullaby though that is a good idea!

Me and a friend clubbed together to sponsor a monkey for another friend for her 18th birthday.... and it was dead good because it was at the monkey sanctuary in cornwall (yes cornwall kelly!) so there was a free pass included to go and visit 'Len the woolly monkey', I like the idea of adopting an animal... but will a baby appreciate that?? or it a slightly older child?

17. sugarandspice

We have a monkey sanctuary in cornwall?!!

18. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

that's a really good idea - as a parent i would think that showed you weren't just there for the day, but wanted to look out for the child's future too

19. meandmycornet

and you call yourself cornish?!?! your meant to know the tourist attractions! Its in Looe, www.ethicalworks.co.uk/monkeysanctuary ..... is Looe a foreign part of cornwall to wherever you are? :tongue:

20. sugarandspice

Yes.

Hardly ever been there. You know if you work a bank holiday you get a day off in looe? When i was younger i thought you did actualy get a day out in Looe, hence lots of questions involving "why dont you get a day off in falmouth instead?"

I think the savings account it probably the most practical idea.

21. meandmycornet

Isn't it a day off in Lue? LOL! thats a good one that is Kelly! :tongue:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    help
    something
    overselves
    presents
    christening