Presentation night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's our bands annual Christmas meal and presentation night on Thursday (*sniff* I had to give my Bandsperson of the Year award back this week), just wondered how many other bands do the same sort of thing?

Do most of you have internal awards within your bands, or are we in the minority.
    I think from memory our awards this year are;
    Bandsperson of the Year,
    Player of the Year
    Most Improved Player
    Most Persecuted Member
    Best Contribution to the Band (musical or non musical)
    and I think the last one is;
    Best non musical contribution. (The percussion section is nailed on to win that one!) :biggrin:

Everyone in the band gets a vote in all the categories except most improved player..that's down to the MD's choice.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas
    YearMost
    Bandsperson
    MemberBest Contribution
    Presentation night
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

We only have two awards from what I remember last year, We have most improved played which is chosen by the MD and then Bandperson of the Year :D and they're given out at the Christmas dinner (at the end of January! :tongue: )

4. Aaron

Aaron Member

We split our awards into 2 catergories & present them at 2 separate events...

at our annual xmas concert, there is the MD's award & the Players' Player of the year award

Then at our xmas dinner (in january) we have an awards night with a twist, it comprises of awards best suited to the events of the past year, eg most drunken mess, hamaphrodite of the year, you know the sort of thing!
    often springs some very interesting tales i tell thee!!

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

6. persins

persins Member

I'm not sure that we do at Woodfalls but at Lympstone we used to have some awards and a spectacular monologue from the president.
    I'm not sure if that still goes on but it was comedy when I was there!

Although, it was only last year that we (Woodfalls) even had a band end of year dinner thing!
    Something might happen at the AGM but I actually haven't managed to make it to one yet!

I think that it is good to recognise individual achievements within the band and also to have a few comedy ones too, as long as the recipiants will take it in the way it's meant.
    Otherwise, that could really go horribly wrong!!!

7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

At Mid Sussex we have 2 awards - one for the best Youth Band member and the other, the "Fat Lady" award (as in it ain't over til..) is awarded to a more mature player who is proving that age is no barrier to making a valuable musical contribution to the band.

Uckfield Concert Brass have a similar award - he/she receives a tasteful toilet seat with the words "for the player yet to go down the pan" on it. The original recipient added more taste by having his name put on it using the brass plate normally found on a coffin. (He's an undertaker!). The current recipient of this award is David Johnson of Kent - David will be know to many through his visits to most bandrooms in the UK. He also managed to amass some 30+ last posts last year in the Somme and has taken part in a number of solo competitions all over the UK. Not bad for someone over 70. He still travels north for lessons with Alan Morrison too.

8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

How can you have an award for the oldest member? unless you have a huge turnover of players wouldn't it be the same person every year? would be in our band!

9. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

I tend to think the best award is saying after the final concert, in a semi-Vinny Jones/lock stock type comment, "its been emotional!" and thank God I don't see you until next year!! lol sounds so good! (Sorry guys ;-) )

10. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

my youth band has some awards... most improved player, directors award, best attender...etc. oh and one for a trombone player, as a young lady who used to play trombone in the youth band was tragically killed by an elephant on holiday in asia somewhere i think (im not 100% on that story, i could have made some of that up, as it all happened well before i joined the band).

im not sure, but i think freckleton may do some awards, as i saw some little slips on stands last rehearsal with player of the year, bandsman of the year etc.. on...

11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

It's not fot the oldest member, it's for a more mature member who is still making a musical contribution.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas
    YearMost
    Bandsperson
    MemberBest Contribution
    Presentation night
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We present the Bandsperson of the year, best attendance and the most improved player along with a few jokey others at our band dinner which is normally sometime after the area. The bandsperson of the year is voted by members at the AGM, the most improved player is an MD thing and the best attendance kinda takes care of itself ;) . The others depend on the events of the preceeding year.

The BPotY (CBA to type it all out again) wins the whacking great rosebowl that used to be the Championship section 1st prize at the old Leicester contest. I wonder if any tMPer's bands have their name on the base?

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I still have my "Most Improved Player" award from youth band on a shelf somewhere... ah the pride! But no prize givings at the moment.

15. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

If I don't win that one then you really are persecuting me!:frown:

16. 2nd man down

Well look on the bright side Manx, even if you don't win it the chances are you'll steal it anyway, so either way it'll end up under your bed! :wink:

17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Be honest Manx you knew that comment was coming ;)

Although I reckon you might end up sharing that award with the "Gimp on the Timp"

18. MICKTHEEUPH

MICKTHEEUPH Member

Pennine have the "Balls of Steel" award for outstanding bravery on the contest platform!

19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'd love to see the trophy for that :D

20. MICKTHEEUPH

MICKTHEEUPH Member

The inaugural winner was sop player Markyboy, if you ever you see Pennine play he's the one making the clanking noise walking on and off stage!

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Would love to do this at our band, but all the awards would have to go to the same 10 people who turn up every week...
    BMB
    xx

22. 2nd man down

Woohoo!!! I won Bandsperson of the year again!!! Thanks chaps. :biggrin:

Well done to all our other winners, it was a really good night. I got home rather wobbly only to find our baby sitter sitting in the dark because there'd been a power cut at home. Bless. She'd had to go rooting through all the drawers looking for candles and matches using the light from her mobile.