Presentation Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cornetchap, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Watford Band are wanting to honour our long standing President and former sponsor by presenting him with something at our next concert. As a former cornet player for the Grenadier Guards I thought it might be an idea to try and get a presentation mouthpiece engraved (where, say, Denis Wick would be) with his name.

Problem is, this was kind of an off-the-wall idea I had last night during our committee meeting and I've no idea if such things exist or if anyone in the business would be able to do such a thing.

Has anyone heard of or done such a thing?

Cheers, Greg.
  2. andyp

andyp Active Member

I vaguely remember once hearing of this being done (I think someone I know does have one), and I think it's a great idea. The only problem I can see is getting either a mouthpiece with no lettering on already, or taking the exisitng lettering off. Once it's blank, any decent trophy engravers should be able to do it for you. I'd pop in to your nearest one, take an example mouthpiece with you, and ask them if they can do it (and how much, of course!). Only other thing that might cause some fun is the small size, maybe. Not much room for letters on a cornet mouthpiece!
  3. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I imagine the lettering on mouthpieces is stamped rather than engraved, but I only blow into it, so what would I know :wink:

Could always get the shank engraved.

Then it's just a case of getting a presentation box.

Cheers, Greg.