Preparation for major contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LauraGxx, Feb 26, 2004.

1. LauraGxx

LauraGxx New Member

hello! just wondered what other bands do for preparation before major contests like the areas for example. apart from practicing (obviously).
    i mean do you have any other things to keep you going and the enthusiasm there? test pieces can get boring after practicing them for long periods of a time.
    Here in Cornwall we are lucky enough to have Truro contest (an own choice competition) 3 weeks before Areas which means that not everything is focused on that one testpiece.
    also a good result at truro gives you a lot of confidence for the areas whereas a bad one highlights the areas that you need to improve on. very helpful i think!! so if your band does anything like this or anything else please reply!
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

We had a contest but it was the area piece that we had to play, but having that to work up to before, kept us going. And, we had to work up to an Eric Ball concert sort of thing that we did at the weekend which gave us a short break from the area piece. :) :p
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think it's to do with the piece you're playing. If it's boring or overtly technical then it may be a welcome break to do other stuff - gives the players brain a rest I guess! But if the piece is "nice" (I use the word advisedly) then it's OK to really bash it constantly.
  4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We tend to work on concert stuff as well as contest things so we don't get bored. We also tend to end up at a lot of social events prior to the areas which helps us to gel as a team!!!!
    An MD from another band i spoke to recently said he was only just getting out the area test piece because he hadnt wanted his band to get bored of it, i thought it was being cut a bit fine time wise myself!
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

We tend to do much the same as everyone else contest piece with concert work mixed in. This year we did an entertainments contest in Feb just to have a break from Kaleidoscope.

Although now we are fully focussed on Kaleidoscope nobody seems to bored as it is a very enjoyable piece.

As for social events, well post-rehearsal is always sociable! And a couple of nights out planned between now and Stevenage