Premiership Managers - The first for the chop?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

An offshoot from the thread Chris started, who do you think will be the first to get his marching orders, my moneys on Souness.

Your thoughts

2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ditto

They felt that SirBr had to go, but didnt wait for the right man for the job, he just hasnt got what it takes to manage a club like Newcastle...

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Souness would be my first choice, but Man City have a habit of hiring and firing. If they don't get off to a good start, Pearce could go fairly quickly. Maybe Pardew too. (I know of two regulars on tMP who would like to see that happen....).

Outsiders

McCarthy
    Curbishley ('What???' I hear you say)

4. Sopfonix

Sopfonix Member

I think Bryan Robson will be a contender for first to go. He just about scraped through with West Brom last season. This year he will have to perform miracles.

5. Chris Sanders

In the words of BA Baracus;

"What you talkin about fool?!?"

How long did Keegan out stay his welcome, then the powers that be still didnt sack him, he walked.

Plus Pearce has had so much done to Carrington, with new pitches, new backroom staff and new video conferencing rooms, they are not going to spend all this money on a manager then not give him a fair shot...

Im not saying he'll set the premiership on fire, we havent the squad or the money for that, but he has just given City our highest finish in Premiership history, he has already given us success, not in the form of silverware, but in the form of progression...

6. Chris Sanders

7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

In the Chronicle today there was an interview with Bobby Robson and the headline read "when I took over at Newcastle I was told there was no money and they didn't think I could steer away from the relegation zone"...what type of attitude is this if you want a successful business, mind just shows that many of the heirarchy at the toon are only interested in how much money they can make!

Plus the reason that they got Souness in is because no-one would take over just to lose there job to Shearer in a year or two.

Also another bet for first to go is Coleman, can see Fulham struggling this year without a good keeper like Van der Saar

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I deny nothing you say regarding Pearce. Chairmen, however, are fickle. I'm not saying it'd be right if Pearce went early if a few poor results creep in. I'm merely saying that some clubs have (in the past) been fairly 'liberal' with their hiring and firing of managers (none more so than Southampton). Keegan (albeit by the back door) got Man City into Europe which hadn't happened for many a year, perhaps that's why he wasn't sacked. But as for spending 'all that money on a manager then not give him a fair shot'.... how much have you followed football over the years?

Vialli at Chelsea, more trophies than any other manager at that club, then gets the heave ho 6 or 7 games into a new season after a poor start.

Stuart whatsisname at Southampton (manager before Redknapp). Gets a few games at the end of a campaign, then a few games into a new one. And what good did his replacement do?

And we all know how 'deadly' Doug Ellis has been at Villa where managers are concerned.

I personally hope I'm wrong regarding Pearce. It's not a criticism of him or the playing staff, just the fickle nature of they that employ....

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If you're willing to extend it to include Scottish Premiership then can I vote for Gordon Strachan. :(

10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Strachan would get my vote too.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Chris
    Souness
    Premiership Managers
    marching orders
    moneys
  12. Chris Sanders

But you said;

Thats just it, the powers that be at Man City are to soft, they let KK over spend by £50m, he wasted the money, then let the club become stale, and still didnt sack him, long after his time was due...

They cant sack Pearce, even if we finished 16th again, they're just to soft...

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know it's not the Premiership (before some bright spark picks it up!) but I see Steve Claridge has been sacked by Millwall after 36 days - nothing like a good, secure job, is there?

14. Chris Sanders

Ha, thats terrible, not even enough time to get moved in...

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mind you, Brian Clough only lasted 44 days at Leeds :eek:

16. Chris Sanders

6 weeks is nothing, its pathetic, the club are to blame for failure in the early period.

17. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Souness, don't like him.