Pre drawn No.1 - Withdraw ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by iancwilx, Oct 22, 2008.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What would be your opinion about a hypothetical situation where a band finding it had drawn No.1 at a predrawn contest subsequently withdraws for that reason ?
    -Wilkie

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pre
    Wilkie
    hypothetical situation
    predrawn contest
    reason
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Were they hypothetically not physically able to get there to play first or did they hypothetically just not want to play first? Are they hypothetically morally against playing the National Anthem? It's a hypothetical minefield innit?

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My opinion? Its a bit defeatist isn't it? :confused:

5. GOLDEN BALLS

GOLDEN BALLS New Member

Hi Wilky, It's not like being drawn No.1 on the day is it ? You know what time the competition starts and the band should have time and be able to prepare accordingly(esp. if you're staying on site). So the excuse of withdrawing because the band drew No.1 on a pre draw doesn't really stand scrutiny.
    Golden Balls

6. rikster

rikster New Member

Are you thinking that some records show that bands who draw No 1 dont feature as winners so therefore no point in playing? I would disagree as a band I played in (and was the person responsible for that draw position) not only won that section but took another number of prizes that day. I dont think it matters where you draw, someone somewhere will have a horror story to tell about that particular spot.

7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

If a band withdraws for whatever reason, then its up to them if they want to give their reasons or not, and its not really anybody else's place to have an opinion on it or not.....

8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

And we've been drawn 1 loads of times in our recent past lol! (all the fault of my hubby who has a 'knack' of drawing 1 all the time...every single time it seems lol!)

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If for that reason and that reason alone, what on earth were they going to the contest for anyway? (Hypothetically speaking of course)

Personally, I'd be quite happy to draw number 1. Nobody expects you to win off number 1 (though it proves otherwise with some frequency), so you might surprise a few people, plus you get to the bar first. (Unless you're in the first section at butlins.)

I should imagine a good number of players, having put the work in to prepare the test piece, given up their evenings for extra rehearsals, practiced at home etc. would be pretty cheesed off if the band manager strolled in and declared the contest was off, for no other reason than they'd drawn number 1!

Surely no band would pull out just for that would they? Not even hypothetically?

I wonder if the band drawn number 2 then has to play the queen? They'd probably have left their hymn books in the warm-up room if they already knew they were drawn number 2.

10. youngman

youngman Member

I think as a player i would be disapointed if the band i played for withdrew for that reason alone. Nobody wants to play first but someone has to. Would the band withdraw if they had arrived at the contest and pulled the dreaded no1 out the hat.
    Go and give it your best shot.
    You never know !

11. richard9

richard9 New Member

If you are on first you can be first to the Bar (hypothetical speaking of coarse) and that means longer drinking time

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pre
    Wilkie
    hypothetical situation
    predrawn contest
    reason
  13. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

my band is only in its second year of contesting and we would have number 1 position pre drawn or not. It was from that position that we won first prize in the 4th section and we will take that every time. You are straight on no waiting around at all.
    Wonderful position to be in .
    It is the best draw of the lot.
    It could become a good habit. Drawn No. 1. No. 1 position.
    t.

14. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

There seems to be a lot of people in this and the other thread who have made the assumption that the band who drew 1 in the top section for Pontins has withdrawn. Looking at the 4br article, which is very vague, that's quite a jump of deduction. We'll see on Sunday.

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It's better than turning up early and finding out you've drawn 19... The only place it seems to actually have an effect is the Championship national finals, and I suspect that's a mental block. Other contests are won off number 1 all the time.

And as has been noted, you're the first to the bar. What could be bad about that??

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- depends if you have to play a short concert before the results are announced ... :rolleyes:

17. SO. IF THE BAND THAT HAS BEEN DRAWN No1 WITHDRAWS FROM THE CONTEST, BAND DRAWN NUMBER 2 NOW PLAYS NUMBER 1, SO IF THEY WITHDRAW BECAUSE THEY WILL BE PLAYING No1 THEN BAND NUMBER3 IN THE DRAW WILL BE FIRST BAND ON AND........................... OH FORGET IT JUST CANCEL THE CONTEST.

18. brownrob

brownrob Member

Heheh maybe its not so bad being #1 as the adjudicator (sp?) is still sobering up ;) :D

19. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

good draw number 1, if you go and play your best, whats the problem, you get a quick warm up set a good standard and hope for the best. it has to be beaten,

20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Good draw in my opinion. Gets it over with. Has anybody done any significance tests to see if position in draw is statistically significant?

Only bad thing about playing first is celebrating the class system beforehand and I suppose you do sign up to the competition knowing that that might happen.

21. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I think there has been some amateur research and that statistically at the National Finals no band has won off a no 1 draw for 108 years. Urban myth? Also that in a large contest of 20+ bands no 16 is the luckiest.
    And of course everyone knows that southern bands never do well against a yorkshire band...

22. Posh

Posh Member

Can the "hypothetical" band play the piece or not?