Pre drawn Contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Columbo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Columbo

Columbo Member

We all know the reasons for having pre drawn contests. Personally, from a contesting point of view, I'm not keen. Interested to hear some thoughts though. My opinion is that, shouldn't we draw as close to the contest day as possible, rather than weeks in advance. Call me cynical, but no one will convince me that the adjudicator doesn't get to find out in every case? If this is true, we may as well have open adjudication.

Come on, convince me its a good idea!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pre
    Contests
    weeks
    contesting point of view
    thoughts
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm yet to be convinced that there are any adjudicators really care who the band on stage are. We all know that at the top level any decent adjudicator should be able to recognise the band anyway. But then I find all the conspiracy theories about banding laughable anyway.

4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Dosen't bother me, I haven't experienced a prejedice result because of it. Especially in lower section band contests.

They can sit in the audience out of the box as well, the adjudicator dosen't know me from adam and I don't know without looking in the programme unless its a top championship band of course!!

5. Columbo

Columbo Member

6. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

I can agree that drawing weeks in advance can lead to these "conspiracy theries" bein brandished. Although in the main I think that pre draws can have a positive effect, especially in lower section banding. My band drew band number 11 meaning we had a rehearsal at 10am and were at Tameside by 11.15 and playing just before 12. Had the same draw been done on the day we would of had to been there at probably 8.30am for the draw and had to wait around until 12. It's this aspect that is the positive of a pre draw.

Just my thoughts :p

7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

8. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

But arriving for a rehearsal at 8am for a contest draw of 10.30am, being drawn last, finding out that somehow the start has been delayed so hanging around until the early evening to play is all part of the errr fun(?) of the contest day isnt it?

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Exactly! :-?

Actually, one of the nicer things about the Irish champs is that we know roughly when we'll be playing, which helps us work out when to leave in the band bus. We are in the North East of Ireland, and the champs this year are in Cork, which is about a 5 hour drive away. I won't give away when we're playing, in case Irish adjudicators read this... ;)

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I would like to see all contests open adjudication.
    As for pre drawn contests does not really bother me at all.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

My preference is not for a totally pre-drawn contest, but the "split draw" as used at the North West Area, where if there are more than a certain number of bands in a section it gets split in half and you know beforehand which half you are in, but not whereabouts in that half.
    I think there has to be some element of draw, just to remove any thoughts of pre-judging in people's minds - I don't particularly think it happens but it's important that it is seen that it can't happen. On the other hand, who wants to hang around (just in this area) Tameside/St Helens/Preston/Blackpool on a cold Sunday? Especially if you have kids in tow. At least if it's narrowed down to 2-3 hours max that youu HAVE to be there then you have a choice.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pre
    Contests
    weeks
    contesting point of view
    thoughts
  13. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

As a Player/Conductor I have no preferences to pre draw or draw on the day. When large numbers are involved (like L&SC 4th Section - usually!) I do prefer a split draw as the hanging around makes the day drag.

As a trader I usually hate pre draws because bands drawn late tend to turn up, play, get the results and go and therefore don't spend hours wandering about and spending lots of money!

14. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

I'm in favour of a pre draw, particularly if its a big field. Itn means you can avoid an unnecessary early start and maybe an overnight stay. It does make sense to have the draw as late as possible to avoid the draw being "leaked" but I am fairly happy that adjudicators are honest people. I guess if we feel they arent there's not much point going anyway.

Split draw (like at Cambridge) seems to work well!

15. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

I think the pre draw works really well, re timing. also liked the idea yesterday of fourth section results being announced after the fourth section, although didn't have an excuse to stay and listen to the third section for she who must be obeyed, who wanted decorating finishing.

16. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i think the point of the "conspiracy theories" is pretending that your band is important enough to merit prejudice from the adjudicator. in reality the chances are they have never even heard of you.

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd see the day when I agreed with both of you IN THE SAME THREAD :eek:, but frankly - nail/head.

Do you really think any adjudicator would want to risk their reputation and a good source of income by "rigging" a lower section contest? Do they, in fact, give a monkey's which 3rd/4th section band they're listening to?

No, of course not.

18. hughess

hughess Member

Pre draw and open adjudication, Stop the hanging around

19. yoda

yoda Member

Adjudicating in a tent is easier then in the open.

Pre drawing is for lightweights...... you never lived until you have been at Blackpool in May, rehearsed at 7-30am and found out at 9am that you have drawn band number 20-something (last band but my memory is fading these days) in a contest with a piece that lasts 18 minutes and has a percussion setup that resembles a B&Q pound sale, so that they are getting through 2 bands an hour, then you finally drag your sorry shattered backsides onto the stage to perform at 7-45pm..........

Hardcore.......... :)

20. contestmaster

contestmaster New Member

Andy i agree with you adjudicators dont really care about the band on stage in a lower section, but possibley with the higher standard of bands they may well do. Who can honestly say if they care or not. i dont even think the adjudicators themselves will disclose this imformation and put their reputations on the line.

Walter Boyle