Pre-Contest Munchies!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Nov 10, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Wondering how you all prepare before contests food-wise? Does that nervy feeling stop you from feeling hungry, ... make you a glutton ... or do you just go about the morning and day just as normal?

2. six pints

six pints Active Member

just as normal, which if its a mornign contest means i dont have anything, then go straight to the bar for a few- hence always the first one drunk!

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

From what I saw at Pontins, most band members try to make sure they have lots of carbohydrates the night before ;)

For me a good sized meal in the morning is good, but it has to be at least 2-2.5 hrs before playing as I don't want to feel full when playing.

From that point on I try to drink some water to keep full, but not too much or else I'll have to go on stage!

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

well i don't get hungry before i play cause i'm soo nervous.......i also get too much saliva in my mouth if i eat b4 i'm about to play..*shudders* so i avoid water too, i play dry except my lips( i keep them moist)

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

When I first started banding I could never eat a thing the day of the contest until after I had played cos I used to get quite nervous... but now I'll happily eat a little something as the nerves don't get to me as much...

At the end of the day it's important to get ya brain food in your system which helps with overall performance and concentration; so I always try and eat something even though I don't feel particulary hungry at times.

I had a concert yesterday in uni (which was being assessed by Prof. King) conducting Tameside Overture with the Adelphi Band... I was ok until about 2 minutes before I was due to walk upto that dreaded microphone and say my little announcement about the piece and composer (which I had prepared and did from memory)...
    The band were just settling down and my heart was thumping... nothing a few deep, relaxing breaths couldn't help with... I walked out and got on with it... my hand shaking at first, but that soon stopped :)

I get my mark today for it I think... feeling more nervous about that, than I was this time yesterday! :lol: ... and yes, I will try and eat something before I go in.

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hope it went well Naruco !

Based on my lengthy and extensive experience of contesting (ie just once!!!-so far) after breakfasting on a fry up (which had more to do with mopping up the after effects of the previous night's activities ) , I couldn't face food again that day - unlike our bass trombonist who tucked into two large dinners (You know who you are Nobby!!!).I treated myself to one pint at lunchtime (we had a late draw) and then just sipped the odd fruit juice until we played.Once off stage I could have eaten for England !!!Needless to say there was much refreshment taken.

7. horny

horny Member

food!

this is from fluk- still dont know how to use 'er computer!
    if i eat before i play i get indegetsion-just like one should not eat before swimming.
    walter hargreaves-bless his little cotton socks-swore by a cup of sweet tea an hour before playing.
    it helps
    but wot the hell is wrong with a few drugs!

8. chrisd

chrisd New Member

My strategy is drink as much beer the night before, then the next day you don’t need to worry about food because you can’t even look at it never mind eat it!!

9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Contest day equals a very big picnic! usually we've eaten most of the sandwiches from the Twigge picnic before we're left the county and are usually tucking into something equally smashing (sausage rolls/dairylea dunkers/cherry bakewells :)).
    Only once have my nerves been so bad that they prevented me from eating but I made up for it post playing though!

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

nice big fried breakfast, something decent for elevenses, a fe sandwiches for lunch, maybe a couple of snacks....

as long as I don't eat anything really sugary (which seems to screw up my mouth) I can, and do, eat as much as possible on contest day...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Munchies
    contests
    feeling
    glutton
    nervy feeling
  12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

for morining contests : bananas, Boost Bar and Red Bull. then I'm suitably Wired!
    If we have a late draw I throw in some breakfast (usually McDonalds at Stevenage)

Afternoons are always tricky but I avoid eating from about 2 hours beforehand.

13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The evening before the contest, I always use to partake in a curry, madras or hotter with extra chillies, until I found that a coach trip can be severely disrupted by certain base (sic) emissons. Nowadays I try and steer clear of the pre requisite 15 pints and curry,and go for a light salad :-D

For those of you who know me, please either comfirm or deny LOL

Good fry up and 8 cups of coffee. This just about wakes me up and sets me for the rest of the day, where my band will invariably draw in the last 2 or 3 bands to play, usually at gone 8pm [​IMG]

14. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

normal day unless it's stupidly early like pontins was, i just don't feel like eating at 5 in the moring.

15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Still though... an 11:30 draw or so is quite nice as you can eat a healthy breakfast at about 9:00 and then be in the pub to replensih 'nutrients' by noon.

16. bandsman12uk

bandsman12uk New Member

pre contest munches

normally a roll and a cup of tea when get to contest .then lots of drinks and a indian or curry

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Odd as it seems, I don't normally eat breakfast. But, on a contest day I try to make the effort to have Weetabix followed by a full fry-up (... if I don't have to get up too early). Seems to settle the stomach for the rest of the day.

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am not too bad with nerves, although at Pontins (where I had to get up and play the tam tam in at the end) I was VERY nervous! I used to get bad nerves and then I couldn't eat anything in the morning of the contest. That isn't too bad if you are playing in the morning but if it is in the late afternoon it isn't good! I tend to find now that, if I do feel nerves, it is just firstly when I wake up, and by the time it comes to 11-ish I feel fine. I can then have a sandwich or something. Our section is normally in the afternoon so that works ok, then after playing I tend to fill up with a few drinks (and the band curry/chinese etc on the way home).

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I hate playing on an empty stomach so generally, if I can, I eat a couple of hours before we are due to play. All good in theory but the problems start if we have a lunchtime draw. As I get closer to the playing time my appetite plummets - call it nerves if you like but I just don't want to eat. In fact sometimes I can't even face to sight of food. So I'm left with either forcing myself to eat something I just don't want or waiting till after we play. Normally I wait, go on stage feeling hungry, play like an idiot, and then come off vowing that next time I'll eat before I play :-?

Oh the joys of lunchtime draws!!

20. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

bacon butties all round on a contest morning. theres a few people who live near me in manchester and we get together to have breakfast. we're not all in the same band as well, lots of different bands. quite funny really.