Prague

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Magic Flute, May 30, 2005.

1. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

I've heard there's a brass band piece called 'Prague', which is supposed to represent different landmarks in the city. Does anyone know who it's by and whether there are any recordings of it?
    Thanks to anyone able to help.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    landmarks
    Thanks
    anyone
    brass band piece
    Prague
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

It was the area piece in 2003 the year before Tristan encounters for the top section so most top section bands will know all about it. It caused quite a stir at the time and is recorded on the regionals cd. Hope you find it.

4. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Prague was composed by Judith Bingham. There's a recording on the areas CD from 2003, and to my knowledge that's the only recording.

6. btrommatt

btrommatt Member

Yes i think it is the only recording. Apparently its a live recording of the premier, with Williams Fairey Band performing it.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

...and when you've heard it, do let us know what ur opinion of it is.... loads of people absolutly hated it (calling it "plague")hahaha.... but I love it! 8)

8. Magic Flute

Yes, I have seen comments like that on it when I've searched the forums for it! I'm interested because I know the city quite well (am there at the moment - but no-one here has heard of the piece!) and am interested to hear how the different landmarks are represented in music!

Thanks to all who've replied.

9. persins

persins Member

I played it and at first hated it. I thought there was never any chance of making anything musical out of it.
    I was wrong. By the time Steve Bastable had worked his magic on us and it, I loved it and it was possibly the best performance that I have been involved in with Woodfalls. (Either that or Harrison's dream at the Masters 2004). We were placed 4th and were gutted. We should have won by at least 15 points!!!! But that is a different argument!!!! As far as prague goes, I think it is a fantastic piece but you really need a strong MD who is capable of seeing through the mess to the music held deep within. Only then will you really appreciate the complexity and enjoy it fully!

10. Soppy

Soppy Member

I never played it, but I've listened to it quite a bit, and it grows on you. Still, if it is an accurate portrayal of the city, the place must have some of the highest suicide rates in Europe. It's so scary and depressing!

11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The recording on the area's CD is pretty dire. It is much much better if you go and listen to a good band play it in a good hall. That was certainly my opinion on it a couple of years ago.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    landmarks
    Thanks
    anyone
    brass band piece
    Prague
  13. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

If the Prague Spring of 1968 is anything to go by, where suicide rates were rather high then it is pretty accurate!! Though thats what living under Soviet Communism and a Soviet invasion does for you!

As for the piece, its fantastic, like everyone else on first listening its pretty horrid, but the more you listen to it, the better it gets. I entirely agree that its far better live than the recording.
    A cracking piece of music! :p (ooooh.....controversial!)

14. Magic Flute

Well, scary it may be, I suppose - there are 'ghost walk' tours around the city;)
    Don't let the piece put you off though - Prague's a fantastic city.:)

15. Jamie

Jamie Member

Ginge played the recording morning, noon, and night round the house after the areas. At the time, lots of people either left after the first band or two, or listened only to their own (supporting obviously). I sat through the entire section bar one and agree that it grows on you. You need to give it a fair chance, since its a bit heavy going to start with. Helps if you hear a band that can play it really well. Seem to remember just bits of the areas where getting the right notes out took up all the concentration bands could muster and anything remotely musical went west... every band managed to pick out different bits though so it was worth hearing them all.

Has Judith Bingham written anything else? Something light and airy, maybe?!

16. persins

persins Member

Blimey, that's dedication for you!! Well done for sitting through that. I liked the piece but probably couldn't have managed that! As far as other things by Judith Bingham, I'm sure there are others. Fartycat may be able to help as he went to uni with her I think!!

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to the listing on www.ibew.co.uk her other items for band include
    Brazil, Four Minute Mile, The Stars Above, the Earth Below, These are our Footsteps

"The stars above, the earth below" was recorded by Brass Band Berner Oberland under James Gourlay (excellent cd entitled 'Theme & Co-operation') and I seem to recall the other pieces being broadcast as part of the old BBC Festival of Brass series.

18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I thought it was easy to listen to... I loved the piece...

19. Magic Flute

Well, having now got a CD of it, I like it! Some of it reminds me of 'The Rite of Spring' - another piece that grows on you!

However, listening to it after work yesterday, I decided to educate a Y8 in detention at the same time and get him to write down what he heard and what he thought it was about... 'It makes me think of a plague...' :lol: Oh well!

:bounce Post 200!!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Got to admit, I was chuckling quite heartily as I left school yesterday to the strains of 'Prague' and my heart went out to that poor year 8 as he had to listen to it..........
    Actually, my heart didn't go out to him. He deserved everything he got. I would have made him listen to the whole thing! :biggrin:

21. Magic Flute

Evening Maestro!

And to think your classes missed you while you were off! :confused: :-? :)

22. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

ah yes friends,

how true it is to say that music can evoke the spirit of a place, in the way prague doesn't. i was reminded of a record the other day that reached number one in the hit parade many years ago. for our younger readers the title was 'ghost town' and it was the sad tale of youth left on the shelf, the deteriation of night life, values and a deep depression within the whole area, as if it were a cultural void, a commercial black hole. you got the sense that there was a feeling of helplessness about the place, as if it were a run down dump of a place that no-one in their right mind would want to stay in. very evokative indeed.....

if you want to check it out the group were called the specials.

from coventry.

regards

uncle eric