Prague or Harrogate?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Big Dan, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

We were told in rehersal last week that the band had been invited to Prague in September. The committe decided we couldnt go as we have qualified for Harrogate.

This is not a dig at the committe and their decision as I can see their reasoning.

However, Is the brass band movement putting to much emphasis on competing?

We will be playing for 20 minutes in Harrogate(maybe at 9am) but we could spend a weekend in Prague and play in a concert.

I am sure that no other organisation would have chosen Harrogate.

I would have gone for Prague every time. What do you think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    Harrogate
    Prague
    committe
    rehersal
  3. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

It depends if you as a band want to progress up the sections. Providing you get a decent result in Harrogate, you could be promoted into a higher section. If you want to develop as a band....Harrogate!

If you want to develop beer bellies and not particularly bothered about competing at the highest standard possible in your section.......Prague.

Personally I would like Prague but as a band Harrogate. Its team work thats important.

Just a thought.

4. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

Do you believe the that standards are raised better through competing and prepering one piece.

I think our band could do with more playing time on atage to improve confidence.

By the way, my beer belly is developing nicely anyway thank you!

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Obviously a whole heap of effort and hard work has gone into qualifying in the first place. Perhaps people feel that it would be a shame not to follow up on it.

oh, and yes I do believe that standards are raised through competing and extensive preperation of one piece, certainly when compared with the level of preparation that goes into your average concert. Unless your concert is something special, featuring a specific piece or something, I think that certain standards improve more in a contest scenario. Of course concert experience counts for loads too - healthy balance being the way to go I suppose.
    Of course, am speaking generally here, and not about any band in particular

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Prague is a great city...
    I suppose you could go to the tour organiser and explain that u have a competition and go the week after to Prague........simple

7. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I don't think the finals count for promotion between sections, I think it's all on your area results.

Agree with everything else you said though, the band might never qualify again.

Tim.

8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think if you win at the finals you get promoted regardless though? May be wrong. Incidently, in the case were I have a clash of dates, the first one in my diary is the one I stick too, no matter how much I'd like to do the other thing.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Simple if they have a huge sponsorship deal Nick - serious fund-raising implications otherwise though I'd expect. :roll:

10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The band will have to raise money anyway for the tour and or finals , so my line of thinking is best of both worlds....the tour and the finals..maybe put a vote to the band , who wants to tour or who want's to go to Harrogate...

11. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

That would muck up the already produced grading tables, so I don't think so. I've never won a final though, so you might be right...

Tim.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    Harrogate
    Prague
    committe
    rehersal
  13. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

The point I was trying to make was that the band will be playing for 20 minutes to an audiance who wants you to play badly. The time of performance will probably be on Saturday morning (4th section)

Compare this to a concert in Prague and it sounds silly to choose Harrogate.

Banding people seem to have a need to be told how good they are compered to other bands all the time.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Harrogate!

You can tour any time

;-)

15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I suppose the question is, how many times have you been in the nationals? The answer is probably going to be 'not enough'!

Don't worry, I'm probably going to have a listen and I'll wish you well (cos we're not competing!).

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I was always under the impression that the National Champs got promoted regardless of their regional standing....

I would choose Harrogate every single time, not out of a contesting bias but because it is a rare occurance to play at the nationals (for most bands)(This time around will be my 2nd time). I will no doubt have many other oppurtunities to go to Prague...

You could maybe argue that you owe it to the bands that didn't qualify to the nationals, that you to go to the nationals. Ok, the area is all about the grading table and hence promotion, but you can't tell me that the band who came 3rd or whatever weren't gutted not to make the nationals, even if their result was good enough for them tablewise.......

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yup definately :)

18. Di

Di Active Member

That's what we have been led to believe. Having come first in the regionals with two years of average points behind the band, (got demoted last year) Hathern didn't qualify to be promoted, but it is understood they can be if they win the Nationals.

19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Winners of the National Finals are automatically promoted. (They've usually already been promoted by winning the Area but even if they haven't this is not usually a problem for the regional committee). The only exception to this rule is in the Championship Section of course, where thay just get invited back!

We toured Prague a few years ago and I think that the majority felt that whilst it was a great place to visit, the opportunities for playing were quite limited. For many Czechs, bands = military and that is something they would rather steer away from.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that it is not possible to obtain a decent beer gut in Harrogate?

D

20. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I stand corrected - thanks!

Tim.

21. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

We got an invite to do this, but of course it conflicted with the nationals.

Can't miss the nationals, its the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Maybe they'll do it next year and your band will get another invite

22. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

For some bands, competitions are the only chance they get to have all their registered players in the band room at the same time. :)