Practice Valves

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Queeg2000, Feb 20, 2018.

1. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I agree and would expect that many if not most seasoned players do similar. Rehearsing without the distraction of an instrument develops aural skills and particularly enables rhythms to be recognised more easily (that's probably one of the reasons conductors can demonstrate a difficult rhythm that trips up even the most experienced player).
    I find myself subconsciously 'air-valving' or 'air-keying (as I also play keyboard instruments). It's become a bit of a habit like twiddling thumbs or doodling. When pondering something at work I'll often realise that I'm fingering a scale or a tune!

Euphonium Lite and Jack E like this.
  2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I think this is where what Sandoval is doing adds some value - I bought mine for 2 reasons: Firstly, I travel a lot for work and it's not always possible to take an instrument with me as i need carry on allowances for laptop etc. The other reason is my advancing years! Got to keep those finger joints working!

IoiBP and 4th Cornet like this.
  3. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Snap.... it drives my wife insane!!

4th Cornet likes this.
  4. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I find that whenever I am listening to a tune, my fingers are waggling along. Probably not waggling the right notes, but going up a scale when the music goes up and down a scale when it goes down, but whether I would actually be playing the right notes if I had a real cornet in my hand is highly unlikely. I asked my 14 year old son who also plays cornet if he does the same but he looked at me like I was stupid and said "Errrr.... no, no one does that!"

4th Cornet likes this.
  5. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Brilliant

Jack E likes this.
  6. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had a similar response (on a totally different subject) from her teenage daughter. Looking at me, she rolled her eyes and said:

"Teenagers! Get yours now, while they still know it all . . . !"

7. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Even if he did, at that age he's probably too cool to admit it :)

8. ghost

ghost Member

I constantly waggle my fingers to whatever I need to be practising - its a good way of nailing the sequences and your ability to play the piece second nature - just learn it off by heart first and then waggle to practise it. Same with double and treble tonguing and tricky parts - you can buzz and tongue whilst you drive and waggle on the steering wheel etc. Well, I have been doing it for decades and it works for me.

9. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Bit offtopic, but there's a bit of an unwritten rule within the online trumpet community that Kurt Thompson is given as little attention as possible - thoroughly unpleasant character (to such an extent he's banned, often on multiple accounts, from pretty much every online forum and facebook group).

4th Cornet likes this.
  10. Pauli Walnuts

Judging by the number of people taking his "Rocky Challenge", it would seem that is not being adhered to by a lot of people. And yes, I am aware of his reputation but to be frank, I make my own mind up about what I view and post and the idea is a valid as any other so was worthy of posting.

2nd tenor likes this.
  11. Tom-King

Fair enough - atleast it's an informed decision, and it's a relevant vid, tbf.

I'm perfectly happy not being aware of his rocky challenge, as I have no interest in paying attention to what he's doing... I'd rather not pay attention to raging womanhaters and snakeoil salesmen... and I'd rather others be aware that he's (to put it lightly) a bit of a dodgy character - they can make up their own minds whether to follow him or not.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    4th Cornet likes this.
  12. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I'm with Tom on this one. I almost posted a similar message when I saw his video appear here. I've witnessed his behaviour on other forums and it is probably the most shocking thing I've encountered on the internet.

13. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I can see where Paul is coming from on this. Now who was it that recently wrote in another thread: “If nothing else, I simply disliked your attempt to sanitise the conversation ......... “? I’ll give you a clue: ‘yellow lapels’. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  14. Tom-King

If you don't see a huge difference between conflating opinions of very different expertise levels -vs- alerting people to a quoted source's appalling record for behaviour... Well, I don't know what else to say to that without becoming impolite.

4th Cornet likes this.
  15. Douglas Sewell

Douglas Sewell New Member

What vandalism. There must be many like myself who want a cheap basic instrument for practise even if it is worn out. What a waste. Needs his bits sawing off for doctors to play with eh?

16. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

As you say Pauli what you watch is entirely up to you. I always find Kurt Thompson a bit of a car crash, and I watched the Viking Valves video with half a hope that his saw would slip, especially whilst it was sitting on his lap......
    Anything that helps develop finger strength and muscle memory is a bonus - taking an instrument on your travels as mentioned earlier is the optimal, and probably easy enough if you play a cornet. Less so on a Euph and well nigh impossible for a bass player. I also quite like Queegs idea of a "hit a wrong combo" but to be fair the library of pieces and parts needed would mean some sort of connection to an electronic storage device which is only going to make the whole thing less portable

17. Pauli Walnuts

The idea of something that can recognise when you have hit the wrong valves is great but would require the cooperation of music publishers from a copyright perspective.
    It is a shame that people's dislike for the idea originator is detracting from what is a valid idea. I have played instruments from India where they have no value even for practice but where the valves were good enough for this. I have also scrapped an instrument on the advice of a very reputable repairer due to the amount of red rot in it. Had I known of this idea at the time, this would have been a useful end for it.
    On the travel point, as a regular business traveller, taking a cornet and laptop and cabin bag is not possible with many airlines now. (Checking a laptop in the hold is not good practice and banned by many corporate security policies).
    The plastic version of the Sandovalves is ideal for me although real valves would be more realistic.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  18. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Im not sure it would? Youre replicating valve combinations, not reproducing the music, and as such not breaking copywrite? I'm sure the counter argument would be that youre only monitoring pressing of valves in that combination because you are trying to perfect x piece but it would be an interesting legal argument and I dont think it would be entirely cut and dried one way or another

19. Pauli Walnuts

I was assuming the use of the sheet music in some format would be needed. For a system to know if the right valve combination has been pressed, it would need to compare the data from the input device (the valves or an electronic simulation) and a master data set that included both pitch and tempo. The latter is probably the hardest part of such a system [/nerdmode]

20. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

You could input the valve positions as a string of digital words, open being 000, first being 001 and so on. Without any kind of pitch recognition, it would be very difficult to claim copyright infringement on the music any more than it could be claimed on a set of traffic lights.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice