Practice? Or not?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by emziesonic, Feb 13, 2008.

1. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

As were now very near the areas and everyone is pulling together for the last bit,
    are we doing more practicing to get better or maybe doing less now its under our belts or to stop us over doing it?

I know I'm trying to practice everyday day now if I can but how much are you doing? (and answer honestly)! ;)
  2. David Mann

David Mann Member

You mean.... it's nearly time to START practising!

Oh no!
  3. Amy Cornet

Amy Cornet New Member

I try to do at least 15 mins each day whether I need it or not! Only joking. I do about 30 minutes each day or more if I have time, but missing playing full time with a band so my stamina is suffering.
  4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

2-3 hours a day......

30-40 mins warm up....have a break of 30 mins then 45-60 mins llip flex....break 30 mins then 3045 mins doodle tonguing ...break then excerpts/solo's etc....
  5. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

If I didn't work for a living and was rich enough to stay at home all day, and stayed off this computer thingy and didn't need to eat, and wasn't feeling so tired from continuous ten hour days work. Then I would practice all day. As it is, I try to find time for half an hour most evenings, but not all.
  6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

everyday for at least a hour (and yes i do work lol)
  7. lilz

lilz Member

i cant really say how long i practice for each day cos i walk past me horn,see it, and think ooo ill jus do them few bars...then play whateva i find near the piano/whateva im in t mood for :D
  8. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

1/2 hours.
    But not just all on the testpiece!! If I was having to spend that long practicing my part then I think I'd resign!! Not that I'd mind, but my part for the areas is mind-numbingly dull.

Warm up: 15/20min
    Lip Flex: 10mins
    Tounging: 10mins
    Whatever Solo I'm working on (currently my nybb audition piece!) 30mins
    Something Slow: 20mins
    Any band bits: however much there is to do...until I get bored, basically!

That's pretty much it-but I am flexible-I don't always have time for that. Because I go to college, and I work. *sighs*

'it's a hard life!!'!!!!
  9. Abs

Abs New Member

Little but often is the best way to go. I just fit in a little bit of practice whenever I can!
  10. Band 3 or 4 nights a week, 10 hour a day work, home, eat, mates = no practise time! But i'm happy :p
  11. hicks

hicks Member

You don't have kids then?

12. Exactly! i think most of us would practice every day for an hour or 2 but life's not that like. There's always other things we've got to do. Im at uni and I work as well so it's often hard to fit any time to practice in! I try to do 1/2 an hour a day especially at area time but it doesn't always work. For most of us this is supposed to be fun! I never feel guilty for not practising though! ;)
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've been working a lot of late shifts lately, so I've been trying to get at least an hour in every morning. I've been splitting my time between Festival Music and some stuff for a massed band concert tomorrow but pretty soon I'll be focussing all my tuime on Festival Music.
  14. agentorange

agentorange Member

Usually have a good hour, two or three times a week. But, i'll have a quick 5 mins on those tricky bars at least once (but usually 2 or 3 times) every day.
  15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I missed a practise on wednesday and I was shockingly poor on thursday at band Just couldn`t settle in tune ,the tone was not good and felt really miserable so will certainly be playing every day until Torquay. Try to manage an hour every day and certainly no less than 30 minutes sometimes just using the hymn book and maybe tongueing from the Arban (cos I like it!)
  16. GordonH

GordonH Member

When I was in my twenties I would play for two or three hours a day plus performances or band rehearsals. These days I do a minimum of 15 minutes a day six days a week (I take one day off). Generally I do about half an hour half the days I play, sometimes more if I have repertoire or trasnsposition to practice.
  17. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I aim to practise every day, but I don't!

I probably practise about 3 or 4 nights a week, for half an hour to an hour each time. Loads of lip flexibilities and scales. Not that much on any pieces, unless there's something I need to look at on the technical side of things, but once it's under my fingers, I don't tend to practise things much.
  18. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

My problem at the moment is having somewhere to practice. Luckily I'm out rehearsing or playing most evenings so my lip stays pretty good but I can't really practice at home without a practice mute, which is good some of the time but not all the time
  19. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Honestly. I have'nt picked my trombone up since 8th feb and wont until the 22nd - it's difficult to take with me when I am working abroad.

As for when I am at home......... ;-(
  20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Slightly different for me. I've been on tour for three weeks playing bass trumpet. I now have two days to re-learn the trombone before some trombone work. The question is not really to practice or not, but finding the time to be prepared for what's round the corner. Also, touring gives very little time to do anything else. Example: get up, drive to airport, get on aeroplane, get off aeroplane, get on bus, check into hotel, get on bus, rehearse, eat, play a concert, get on bus, get back to hotel, try to find time to phone the missus, have a well earned pint, go to bed, get up, get on bus, get on aeroplane....... you get the drift. Added problem of sometimes putting instrument on the truck, so no chance to play it in between legs of tour. Why can't I have a proper job?:(