Practice mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bonehead, Apr 5, 2004.

1. bonehead

bonehead New Member

Just started practising again after 6 years - need to get a tuner to sort myself out before I go to a band. Do practice mutes make you sharper, sounds like it to me but my ear has probably gone.

Any tips as to how to get my standard back up would great, range and tonguing are awful.

2. Despot

Despot Member

No your ear is probably right!

Practise mute will make the sound quite sharp, so it's usually better to warm up without it. Once you've warmed up and played a little, it'll be much easier to keep the instrument in tune when you eventually shove it in!
  3. tim

tim Member

Also forget about a tuner!!!

I use a practice mute every time i warm up... To improve dynamic control absolutely "razz" through a few hymns for the louder dynamics this should help you when you come down to play a nice big fortissimo.

Then play hymns as quietly as possible then when you want to play pianissimo its easy.

To get back upto standard you just need to get into a good practice routine working on firstly all the basics like coordinating single tounging with finger movements. Being able to play slowly and accuratley first and then start to play faster to build your coordination up agian.

Once you can do the basics 100% its much easier to get the rest of it right!
  4. skweeky

skweeky Member

practise mute is great for dynamic control, stamina, range and for everything else theres ....,, Arban
  5. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Try the Wallace practice mute, not much resistance in it and the tunings pretty good.
    As for getting back into blowing, the best thing to do is get straight back into a band. It wont take long before your back to form.
  6. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Just go back to basics mate and it will all come back.Scales,interval jumps,the old long notes and hymn tunes.Only way to go,practice makes perfect and you have a head start with knowing all the basics.Good Luck my friend--I did it myself and it's not easy but it will come.
  7. skweeky

skweeky Member

i agree with jasonp... get in a band
  8. tim

tim Member

As far as the practice mute is concerned the intonation doesn't make that much of a difference. The resistance is the important thing the more the better!!!!

You need to have the feel of the resistance so you can focus your sound without the mute coz if you have no focus to your sound and attempt to use any sort of vib from the lips your just gonna an "airy" sound with no depth or colour
  9. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

I agree, the more resistance the better, what I should have said was with the Wallace mute you can change the amount of resistance