Practice makes perfect!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eanto, Jul 4, 2006.

1. eanto

eanto Member

Just wondered how long you all practiced? I've heard & read all sorts of daily practice from about 10 mins to about 2 days!!! Personally, I (try) and play every day when I'm not at band (3 nites a week) but after about 45 mins or 1 hr, either my lip goes or so does my enthusiasm! I've started varying my practice schedule for both lyrical interest and technical improvement but it doesn't seem to help me play any longer. Is it only 'professional' bandsfolk who practice a long time? maybe because they have to??
  2. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

I try between an hour to an hour and half a day (apart from my 2 band nights a week) but I get distracted way too easily. My mobile for starters. Have to put it on silent in another room and leave the house phone off hook. And the washing up has to be done otherwise I will want to start it half way through my practice time..... !
  3. vonny

vonny Member

I have a tendency to practice for 20 minutes everyday. I usually practice scales, a hymn tune and then if i have a 'part'to rehearse for band i do that. I like to see practice as a 'quality' regime rather than a 'quantity' regime. It seems to be working for me anyway! :biggrin:

Yvonne x
  4. squirrel

squirrel Member

Practice, wots that then? :p

I haven't really done much practice for the last 10 years, in fact, the last 6 years I've only really practiced when we've had test pieces, or the odd harder concert piece, and I've regarded myself as fortunate to be able to sustain the standard that I have without the practice.

However, the last couple of months I've done 20-30 minutes twice or three times a week, on top of band rehearsals. Theres a few solos that I'm working on that have motivated me, plus I've been really enjoying playing again, and want to push myself that bit harder.

I guess some of it comes down to your responsibility to your fellow players. As long as you're on top of your part and playing well, you don't need to be putting in 2 hours a night (who has the time to do that any more), but if you're not practicing and you can't play your part, then you're letting yourself and the band down.

Oh, and if anyone from stannington reads this, ignore the above, I practice an hour a day, and always have done ;-)
  5. eanto

eanto Member

I like your style! chromatics, arpegios or washing up??? Hhmmm.... I think I know what you mean, anything for a bit of distraction from note bashing! At least you seem to get your instrument out of the case in-between rehearsals which I reckon is a good thing.
  6. eanto

eanto Member

I've got a theory that if people played a lot in their pre-teens and early years then this tends to stay with them in later life? A bit like 'The Formative Years' concept with babies (I just made that up by the way). I played 4th section bass from age 11 and never took the b****y thing home after practice! Me thinks a lot of catching up to do!
  7. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Blimey, I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Squirrel! Apart from your mundane, technical stuff, which obviously I practice all the time :oops: it very much depends on what you need to do to stay on top of the parts. I guess that informs what kind of technical stuff you do too. In an ideal world we'd all love to get in a couple of hours of it a night, but that's just not realistic for most people. Do what you need to.

:clap: Yeah, good one!
  8. squirrel

squirrel Member

Oo-eer missus :D
  9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I must say i over practice!I practice everyday essentially including band rehersal nights! (doesn't do anything for my playing in rehersal! :rolleyes: ) so im going to start praciticing less becuase it gets to the point where it hurts to play like at the moment! :rolleyes:
  10. JDH

JDH Member

Gosh - you seem a slack lot! I practice a minimum of one hour a day except when I am out playing, and two hours whenever I can fit in. Even then there is never enough time with warm-ups, scales, etudes, solos and specific concert/contest music to practice. For the latter I do find it helps me to play with a recording and then work on any specific technical bits which I find troublesome.

Practice should not be a chore, but a part of the day to look forward. I know I really miss the buzz, if I don't have time to play in a day.
  11. cookie2

cookie2 Member

You are in an enviable position to be able to do that JDH. I do miss being able to practice to the extent that I used to, but I don't agree that not putting in an hour plus a day makes you a slacker. You're not going to be a of a professional standard, but it's perfectly possible to achieve good results with targeted practice.

There is a 'buzz factor' though. I find that when I'm tackling a difficult passage there's always that music-hurling point when it seems that the more you do it the harder it gets. But when you keep at it and the breakthrough occurs, however small, there's the buzz :D

And that's why you try to practice as much as your life allows, but I'm not going to beat myself up if that's not every day.
  12. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

Im always concerned about the neigbours when practising. Having just moved house we havent had any comments yet, but my son is about to start playing the cornet which should get them going :-?

Ive seen practise mutes advertised, are they worth the money and will they save the neighbours sanity?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i was once told by a well known banding person who is no longer alive when i started playing:
    "Only Perfect Practise makes Perfect!!"
  14. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I practise between one and two hours a day...unless I'm having a bad day when every wrong note make me more and more mad so I usually quit while I'm behind and have a break for a day or two!
  15. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

Yes i think practise mutes are fantastic. you can hear hardly anything when i have my practise mute in and it makes me play louder too, I would definatley advise you to get one, they are fab :D:D:D:D
  16. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

The Yamaha Silent Mute system for various instruments work pretty well. They cut the sound to not much more than the volume level of the spoken voice without significantly altering intonation and if you're so inclined, the little electronic gizmo coupled to a set of headphones allows you to change the timbre of your sound to match your mood, I guess.

When I lived in an apartment, I used the mute for euph. The biggest drawback was the weight of the mute. It made the horn top heavy and since I always practice standing up, it made things tough after awhile due to the extra weight of the mute. Perhaps with cornet it's not that big of a deal.

I didn't bother with the electronic gizmo. I used the mute without the fancy electronics and it suited my purpose completely.

I highly recommend the Yamaha Silent Mute system for those who live in close proximity to others and who don't want to be evicted for practicing!
  17. About 1-2 hours a day at the moment. But I'm on a mission.
  18. 1alexm

1alexm Member

about 15 to 20 mins
  19. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer New Member

about 2 hours
  20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I wouldn't use one for a beginner... better to ask his school or the local village hall if you can have a room for half an hour a day, or just explain the situation to your neighbours, it's not like he'll be blasting away for over an hour at the beginning.

I practice about 1 and a half hours a day when I have the time to. Usually if I'm too busy I'll try and get 15-20 minutes in of just basic stuff to keep my lip in.