many hours a day???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flugelfrank, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

How many ours a day do you practice? Do you practice several times a day or practice one time?What`s the best way to practice, warming up,and then study your pieces? How many time to practice do you need to be in a good condition?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hours??? I can't remember the last time I did an hours practice!!

Oh, yes I can. It was last Tuesday night at band! :tongue: :rolleyes:
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Playing at band is not practising, Dave. It is rehearsing.

Practising is the art of nailing your technique.

Rehearsing is bringing together the component parts of the band, and producing a whole that is sometimes greater than its parts.

Not that definitions help me, really. I've not practised properly since 1981:redface:
  4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

During work week, I try and do at least 2 30min sessions on non rehearsal nights, 1 session on rehearsal nights. At weekends, I've I'm not gigging or rehearsing, I try and do 3 or 4 more even.

the emphasis being on TRY.

It's really down to time managment, and getting into the habit. Instead of watching drivel on tv, do 20 mins practice. Get out of bed earlier in the morning, do 20 mins practice (or other household chores that will free time later for practice).
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's what I always tell the band I conduct too. If they read this, I've blown my cover!!!
  6. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

Well i kind of have a routine but have had to change it as i always tend to play when dad gets home from work, which although he enjoy's listening to me practise, he gets quite moody with me after a long hard day at work :frown: so i now tend to play when he's at work for an hour or so a day.
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The amount of practice I do depends on my work schedule. If I'm working night or weekend day shifts, I take my instruments to work and do loads of practice (usually about 4 hours, often more) If I'm on weekday shifts, I'm not allowed, so I just keep my lip in rehearsing every night!
  8. timbloke

timbloke Member

On the rehearsal/practice thing - yes there is a difference and yes you should practice things at home and then rehearse them in a band, but in terms of practicing your stamina, concentration and technique, rehearsals are as valuable as home practice.

I'd admit to doing maybe an hours practice a week if I'm lucky, with about 6-8 hours a week rehearsing/gigging. Practice will increase slightly if there is a difficult bit, solo or test piece, or if I'm quiet for some reason. To be honest, I never have the time to do much more practicing, i'd love to if I could - I know I could be a much better player if I could practice - but it is not fair on the rest of my life. Many others in this situation?
  9. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

At home probably 1 to 2 hours a week. Plus I'm usually about half an hour early to the bandroom (wed+fri) to unlock it so I have light practice/warmup before rehearsal which is always very helpful. Sometimes at home I just sit down and read my parts and sort any rythms out etc and try to auralise things -I only really started doing that in the last year or so.
  10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I try to do at least 30 minutes a day during the week, and a little longer in the weekend
  11. At the moment I'm rehearsing tues, wed and thurs; and practising for an hour or maybe two fri, sat and sun. Monday I take it easy or do nothing, so my muscles can recover for the rehearsals.
  12. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I'm reading Dave.....:)
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hmmm, do you accept bribes??? :rolleyes:
  14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Never did, never will! Only joking MD!

30 mins or so a day unless it's rehearsal night.
  15. oh no, all this talk of practicing makes me feel guilty!! i dont do any!! :oops:
    i feel bad now...
  16. JDH

JDH Member

I bet that this varies widely according to the section of the band. In my experience, in 4th section bands many players never get their instrument out from one band rehearsal to the next, while in Championship section bands ALL of the players regularly home practice several hours per week.

That is a big factor in the difference in performance standards.
  17. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

I'd disagree with that, I try and practice every day for an hour, unless it's rehearsal night. Even when I'm conducting I get there early to warm up with the players. OK, I know I'm unemployed atm, and want to spend more time with the missus, but I believe that no matter what the section, you should practice.

Having said that, my flatmate works all hours god send, but still looks at his parts and he plays fourth section. Controversial (spelling not my strong point) but hey. every lttle helps.
  18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I try to practice an hour a day
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

When you are as naturally gifted as I am you don't need to practice!

But about an hour or so a day in 20 minute sets throughout the day, just to pretend I'm pretty rubbish. ;)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007

I Also Agree Coming From A 1st Section Band Then Playing In A Lower Section I Tend Not To Practice.saying That Promotion Twice In Three Years Up To 2 Nd Section This Year Might Have Been Tempted To Take My Bass Home If It Hade Been Any Other Test Piece Than Carnival.!!!