practice diary. do you use one ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all
    my home practice is somewhat limited at the moment (10 - 30 mins a day) and as such i want to make the best use of the time as possible.
    as such i am tempted to start a practice diary.
    make notes during rehearsal and home practice with what needs looking at etc.....
    does anyone do this ?
    do you find it useful ?
    anything to avoid ?
    all comments greatfully received :)
    thanks
    Chris

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thanksChris
    practice diary
    allmy home practice
    rehearsal
    time
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

no, thats what we had to do at uni, to be honest i would just spend the time you spend writing the diary doing more practice

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I'd 2nd That.
    Why spend time writting stuff down when you can spend that time practicing, I'm sure the notes would ultimatly reduce your playing time !
    you know what needs the practice, That stuff you can't do.

5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

They come in very useful for sound proofing my practice room

6. leisa

leisa Active Member

stop repeating yourself stevie!!

I forgot to say, if i had spent the time doing extra practising at uni rather than writing the flaming diary which i doubt anyone even looked at (!!) then i would probably have done better in performance. If you are struggling to remember in rehearsals which bits you nneed to practice, maybe star them with a pencil, it''ll take a fraction of he time

7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes, I have to write in my practice diary when my soundproof room is available for practicing, then I practice in my soundproof room...... err am I in the wrong thread here?

8. leisa

leisa Active Member

yes stevie b, yes

9. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

good idea....

trouble is i drive a lorry and i practice during my breaks (as i can't at home).

i know what would happen if i took my pad (or part thereof) into my cab !

it would never see the light of day again ! (i'm already in trouble for losing music)

what i thought of was to make a note of the bits i was struggling with in rehearsal and then work on (similar) bits from the arban and the herbert clarke books i have in my cab.

Chris

10. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

It all depends on you. If you're disorganised (like I used to be, oh OK still am at times) then a diary is useful, but fill it in after you've practiced so as not to waste practice time. I often make my students fill one in, and then I can see what they have and haven't done and can work on specific areas with them more. I fill it in for them duing the lesson and then they have no excuse for not knowing what to work on :rolleyes: