PR from the BFBB - Child Protection Policy

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 1, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

PR from the British Federation of Brass Bands

Recommended good practice in brass banding

The British Federation of Brass Bands has introduced child protection policy recommendations for bands. The establishment of a child protection policy is a clear signal by the BFBB that it is determined to ensure all necessary steps are taken to protect from harm children, young people and vulnerable adults who participate in brass playing at all levels. Two documents are available for bands to download at :

1. The first is entitled ‘Child Protection Policy’; it is a substantial document which draws attention to the protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults and the safeguards bands should have in place. The Child Protection Policy, and accompanying appendices, guide bands through the action required to ensure that everyone who participates in brass banding does so in an enjoyable and safe environment.

2. The second document, recommended by the BFBB to encourage the establishment of principles and high duty of care within bands, is the ‘Code of Conduct’, which is aimed at teachers, tutors, trainers and instructors of brass playing.

All brass bands, not only BFBB member bands, are welcome to download these two documents; hard copies will be available, upon request to the Development Officer, BFBB, Unit 12, Maple Estate, Stocks Lane, BARNSLEY South Yorkshire S75 2BL or telephone 01226 771015. Visit the BFBB website at The BFBB will welcome any comments you may have concerning the policy or any other child protection issues.

2. lewis

lewis Member

This was always going to happen with all the proceedures in place now for working with children but do these new forms from the brbb comply with the national standards? Peri teachers now have to have police checks surely if you are working with children through brass bands then you will need the same checks done?

Just a thought.
  3. madsaz

madsaz Member

I think this is going to make life fairly difficult in some areas.

Obviously, it is good practice to be aware of child protection issues. Anyone involved in a junior or youth band should have no concerns with getting checked.

I do worry that it might make it more difficult for a talented young person (lets not forget they define any young person up the the age of 18 as a child) to progress to better bands.

When I was improving as a teenager, my local Championship Section Band wouldn't let me move up from the B band as they felt my exams would interfere with my commitment to that band (shows they didn't know me very well - I rarely did any work or revision). Which seems fair enough nonetheless.

I did join another 1st/championship section band when I was 15 years of age and had an absolutely great time. I was welcomed and felt part of the band.

These guidelines, in particular about role models, mean that a lot of the behaviour we have come to expect (drinking, some smoking, swearing) should not occur if a young person is about. Groups of people rarely manage to collectively alter their behaviour all at once. Depending on how strictly you follow that, I can see a lot of bands not allowing under 18s if this is to be policed.

Similarly, I guess all bands need a "welfare officer" just in case someone under 18 joins. I regularly get criminal records checks in line with my job, and a few of our band members are teachers - but the process takes a long time & has been in the press last year because of the extraordinary backlogs. It may be intimidating for some to consider it!

I think all bands need to decide now what they plan to do for fear of running into trouble later........
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

My son (15) has to complete the CRB process as part of his eligibility to referee next season !
    The complete process though is managed via the FA and local Referees Association so it has been quite easy to deal with.

Many of us here are officials of some kind within our bands and are aware of this sort of requirement. If we fail to implement similar measures, despite knowing they are required elsewhere, we lay ourselves wide open.

Having read through the documents, I would comment that under section 2 of appenxdix 2, where it talks about using LEA's as a registered body supporting your application, this is where the BFBB ought to be more active. How many bands have the support of their LEA? Not too many where I live! I would suggest the BFBB seek to become a recognised body in the context of the CRB process.
  5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We introduced a child protection policy last year. All members of the band who assist with juniors are expected to undergo a police check . Luckily the local county council agreed to cover the cost of this for us.
  6. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

It's a minefield isn't it. I wrote our Child Protection Policy last year and am currently updating it at the moment. Most of the members who help out at youth band are crb checked through their jobs. We also have some youngsters in the main band. Does this mean that all the adults in the main band need to be checked??????
  7. lewis

lewis Member

Any adult (i.e. over 18 that works with minors needs to have a CRB check done so it is a nightmare. If you can get your local council to pay for it like has been said already in this thread then that is brilliant but otherwise it would very expensive if you had to 30 people checked.