Powerful Brass Moments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Just heard Triptych by Philip Sparke for first time.

Pretty intense bit of test piece writing! I would perhaps think it wouldn't be exaggerating if I said the loud section of the middle movement is the most powerful bit of brass writing I've ever heard.

What's everyone elses "hair stand up on back of neck" moment in brass.
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You've named one of the biggest for me! Another is the end of Diamond Heritage - fantastic!
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The end of The New Jerusalem
    The end of Of Men and Mountains
    The pp tutti in the middle movement of The Year of the Dragon
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

1.The opening chord of Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass and Percussion. Still makes me jump.

2. The entry of the brass in the final fugue in Britten's Young Person's Guide. And as a whole, the final fugue is possibly the most exciting single section of music of the 20th Century.

HANNAH Member

I don't think a single person on this thread will have a clue what I'm talking about, well maybe apart from Chunky as he saw the DVD, (although that doesnt really do it justice its impossible to understand from a DVD what a 300 piece band sounds like!) but 'From Dixie With Love' does it for me. Its a piece I played in marching band at the University of Mississippi last year. I guess parts of 'American Trilogy' are close to it.
  6. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

The climax in the 2nd mvt of montage is pretty good - and golden section correct!

End note of contest music as well
  7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Agree with that one!

First hearing of Cloudcatcher (Leyland at the Finals, sheer brilliance, should have won it that day but for a no.1 draw) did it for me too.
  8. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

i Think my moment, concerning the hairs on the back of the neck standing up has to be of BAYV Cory's performance of Eden at the National Finals when that final chord just kept getting louder and louder. Magic!:D
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Funnily enough, I've got a few ;)

The second quiet bit of Blitz (that starts with the horn solo) - I love the euph part in that, especially the top G# on the second page that clashes with everything for a crotchet...OK, so I'm feeling a little odd tonight :D

The last few bars of Journey into Freedom.

The last half of Procession to the Minster (particularly the build to the loud bit).

The bit in the middle of Sounds where virtually everyone bar the solo euph is playing chromatic semiquavers, while said solo euph is belting out a sustained tune at FF over the top - I;m just glad I got play the 'easy' semiquavers.

The Year of the Dragon middle bit (hats off to Mr Sparke for that one :clap:, and also for The Land of the Long White Cloud).

The middle bits of Revelation and Dove Descending (and by that I mean the slow movement following the IMO rather silly euph cadenza).

The last two notes in Contest Music....

I'll stop now before I turn this into another essay :sup
  10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Got to agree with Montage especially Dyke at the Open 2004 it just kept getting bigger and bigger (no double entendres here please!).
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The opening to Fairey's 1993 winning perf. of 'The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea' is as powerful a statement as any!
  12. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Of course not! but it is interesting that only one quiet moment has featured. It needs a good climax to raise the hairs on the back of your neck!
  13. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

GOT ONE! end of resurgam. beat that
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Er, I had 4? ;)

And here's another one - the start to the middle of the fugue in Fireworks.....
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  15. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Don't know how I missed Procession to the Cathedral/Minster!

Resurgam is pretty good agreed.

I seem to recall getting a bit enthusiastic about the end of Whistun Wakes too.
  16. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

hymn to the fallen (from saving private ryan), did this with my youth band, to a sell-out symphony hall, last year (60 years after WW2). there were many older people in the audience, and there were several tears being shed. hearing 50 young people bring symphony hall to an emotional silence was a once a lifetime thing for me
  17. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

That's pretty powerful stuff.

My grandad went through all that, he tells me all the stories etc.

The only time I've seen tears is after a rendition of "Keep Smiling Through", a medley of war songs.
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oh there are loads. YotD second movement as has been already mentioned, and the build up and subsequent horn melody line in the slow movement of Land of the Long White Cloud. In fact I could probably fill this post with examples just from Mr Sparke as he seems to have the knack of doing this brilliantly.

Sorry to be predictable, but some of these are my name checked in the my favourite pieces thread...

The beginning of Le Roy D'ys - creepy bass, flugel solo, creepy cornets then the gradually intensifying crescendo to the unison theme. Gets me every time. Also the trombone part just before the final run-in.

The last eight bars of the cadenzas variation ( I think its Var. III) of Variations on a Ninth. This was once described to me by a conductor as "orgasmic" and I think he was about right.

The final re-capitulation of the theme in Connotations.

The end of Resurgam.

The slow section of Journey into Freedom. The cornet solo and then when the theme gets passed around the solo seats of the band in chunks of a couple of bars. Really simple writing, but beautifully done. Also the final build up - the "dawn" as it was described to me (same conductor actually) into that gorgeous chord on the first beat of the theme.

The end of A Gaelic Blessing

YBS's performance of Les Preludes at the British Open

I think thats enough for now...
  19. ju33les

ju33les Member

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Nope, pretty much said the same thing (almost word-for-word :oops: ) apart from I've missed one:

The Elergy from a Downland Suite, which is just fantastic from start to finsh.