Power surge...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by yr_epa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

I think my desktop machine has been affected by the recent electric failure in this area. Last night, it worked fine! Had no electric for about 5 hours today, went to put it on, nothing happened.

Anyone ever experienced this kind of problem? If so, any tips would be great!

Cheers.

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

that happened to me once... then my dad went to the back of the tower thing, flipped the switch off and on (the switch thats by where the plug goes in the back of the machine) n then switched it on, and it worked perfick...

:confused:

made me look a right fool

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'd definitely try drummergurl's suggestion, might save you taking the PC apart.
    Other than that, replace the fuse in the plug, the trailing socket and so on. If that doesn't cure it then you may need a new power supply (£30-£40 from Maplins).
    A "surge protect" extension lead is a worthwhile investment, too.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not that I want to be a harbinger of doom, but the worse case scenario is that you've fried the Mobo and / or the cpu. The PSU is a possibility as has been suggested.

PSUs are available for £10-15 from somewhere like Microdirect (www.microdirect.co.uk), but be aware that this may ot solve your problem. Does anything happen at all when you press the power button - e.g. do you get any beeps or do the fans spin?

Occasionally, power surges can upset the BIOS and resetting this can sometimes be a good idea although you may have to alter the defaults afterwards).

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It's a bit of work, but you should disconnect any sensitive electronic devices from the mains current during an extended power outage. Your average surge protector is designed to handle variations in line power, not a sudden surge from nothing when the power is restored.

If you aren't using surge protection at all, you should! Even a small surge that might not affect things like lights can do subtle damage to the chips and the power supply in your computer. Each surge might not be enough to cause it malfunction, but over time the damage can accumulate to the point of failure.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If there is no power going into the machine, check in order:

1. fuses/plugs
    2. Power supply

If these are OK then if your machine starts to boot up but doesn't get into the POST, possibilities are: fried disc, fried mobo.

If it's the Mobo give it a decent funeral and get a new machine. If it's the drive, see if you can get a new drive - they're cheap enough these days.

Again, any problem involving power may also have hidden collateral damage that you may not see for a wile. If you get it working, start backing up all your files and be prepared to replace your machine.:cry: :cry:

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Bear in mind that:

1) If the Mobo has fried, it may have gone before the surge hit the disk. You can check the integrity of the disk by piggybacking it into someone else's machine - as has been said above, though, if it's still working back it up. If it's a SMART capable disk, enable it and run chkdsk;
    2) If the machine is a P4, it'll have two connectors from the PSU to the mobo (this fooled me for a bit with the 1st P4 machine I built).
    3) If you've got a multimeter (or know someone with one) you can check the PSU output across the mobo rails without swapping it out.
    4) It's very difficult to tell (without swapping the CPU out for a known working chip) whether or not it's the Motherboard, the CPU or both that have gone to sightsee at the pearly gates, although some POSTs do actually indicate faulty CPUs....

Hope you get it sorted!