Potential New Testpieces - who'd be interested

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, Mar 14, 2008.

Interested in submitting a potential new test piece?

1. Yes - I've got something or I'll start writing yesterday!

30 vote(s)
  2. Not for me, thanks!

5 vote(s)
  3. Sounds like the start of a good idea....but.....

6 vote(s)
  1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Following on from a discussion at the back of this thread, it's been suggested that it might be possible to try and get some new music from new and previously little known composers recorded and present the 'best' of those to the selection panels for consideration as test pieces for contests.

This thread is basically a vote to see how many people might be interested, and to gather suggestions as to how you might like to see it structured.

Perhaps an outline for how it might work would be:
    • Submission of pieces
    • Dependent on number of pieces, appoint a panel of informed people to cut the numbers down to a manageable number
    • Record this shortlist
    • Host the audio files along with a public voting system
    • Make formal proposals to the appropriate selection panels on behalf of the Composer of the winner(s)
    I haven't thought about any of the detail yet....so who the 'informed' people would be, criteria, whether the pieces would be 'graded' into sections with a winner in each or if we just go with overall composition etc...again, I'm open to suggestions.

I'd need a band that would be willing to volunteer their services as I'd be volunteering mine that is capable of playing all the pieces on the shortlist (I mean no disrespect to any Bands who may wish to volunteer their services by that statement - I'd just need the recordings to be over a single weekend or so to make it financially viable for me).

Please be aware that if we do something like this, there are absolutely NO GUARANTEES that the winner(s) will be picked for anything. However, if you're an up and coming composer, it may just get your work recorded and out there in the public domain so people can hear what you're doing and generate interest from Bands and Publishers in general. We need to hear your stuff!!

Suggestions, refinement, criticism of a silly idea welcome.....
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Teatpieces? Will have to keep a breast of that one!
  3. KMJ Recordings

Mr Moderator, please correct my appaling speeling :hammer
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

All done..!!
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

You could have made a right tot of yourself!
  6. KMJ Recordings

Wouldn't be the first time ;)
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One wee thing to consider ... great idea in essence but how are you going to achieve a fair voting system? It could be easy for someone to get all his/her friends & family to vote and skew the results? (... you see this happening on sibeliusmusic.com).
  8. KMJ Recordings

You're quite right, of course.

Short answer - don't know yet ;)

At the end of the day, it depends on how statistically significant the 'skew' is relative to the total vote count which may or not be limited by how the system is set up (for instance, is this to be limited to tMP membership, is it an open public vote)....plus, to an extent, it's almost inconsequential to me - I'm really doing it to get the music out there, rather than for the selection. I guess we could also put a clause in for a 'judge' based 'winner' should we need a panel to streamline entries?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

tMP ran a march composition contest along these lines not too long ago with Scorch files to view/listen to. That included a selected panel to weed out what was considered less likely efforts. Check with Roger Thorne about his system.
  10. KMJ Recordings

Yep, thanks Tom.

John and tMP have (hopefully) jumped on board and I'll give Roger a call about the system he ran to pick up any learning points.
  11. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Presumably all composers have friends and family though, which evens it out a little...? Anyway, the people running the competition could keep an eye on suspicious voting patterns. For instance, if it was hosted here on tMP; users who join the forum, vote in the poll and never read anything else or ever visit again. Not in any way to detract from the validity of the point which is absolutely right - the system must be totally fair.

Keith, I think it's a great idea, and you deserve enormous credit for actually trying to do something to keep banding moving forward. It's potentially a very tough ask for the band though...I reckon you're gonna need Champ or at least good 1st section standard.
  12. KMJ Recordings

I agree about the Band - which is why I was attempting to not sound patronising to those others out there who'd like to volunteer (I've already had an offer - thanks, guys :clap:). We do have a few representatives on tMP from such Bands who are (relatively) local to me - there could be a fair amount of good publicity involved for them if we pitch it correctly....they'd even have a master CDs worth of original music recorded....
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- to be honest, it depends on how many actually want to join in. The UK electoral system is a good example of apathy from the masses.
  14. If your worried about it being rigged by friends and family casting voted for people you could instead get an already renowned composer to judge the pieces? We used to have a competition at our local contest where people would compose pieces which was Judged by Goff richards and then the winning piece was played in the contest Gala concert! I remember Iain Mcknight winning it with a euph solo which Shaun Thomas played.
  15. KMJ Recordings

We could....but the idea behind the 'popular' vote is that we may ending up finding a gem that people actually like rather than being told what we should be playing ;)

It's the Brass Band X-Factor.....

It still might be worth having a judged winner as well, though.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Keith, you haven't mentioned anything about what range of tests you are targeting ... parameters such as section difficulty!
  17. KMJ Recordings

That's because I'm waiting for people to suggest something ;)

I guess the simplest way is to have separate categories - perhaps not as far as one per section, but aim at maybe a Championship, 1st & 2nd Section and 3rd & 4th Section.

Not limited to that, though, as I say - quite how we do it (if it goes ahead) is open for consultation. Think of it as a competition where suggestions from this thread define the rules.
  18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I think it's a great idea.

Anything that encourages new composers to put their work forward can only be a good thing.

Get writing folks!! I for one definitely look forward to hearing what you come up with!

I'm already reaching for my manuscript paper....
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yup - for sure, we're on board with this.
  20. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

What sort of deadline would we be looking at?

To write a whole testpiece that's worth reviewing would need at least 3 months in my opinion.