Postal Voting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, May 27, 2004.

?

Are you plannng to vote in the elections coming up?

1. Yes.

100.0%
  2. No. Can't be bothered with politics.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No None of the parties represent me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Just got my ballot paper through the post for the forthcoming elections. Immediately filled it in and sent it off, but was horrified (but not suprised) to find that my flatmates weren't even going to open theirs'. What's the general spread on tmp? Are people going to vote, or not bother.

2. six pints

six pints Active Member

none of the parties represent me

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nope. Can't trust any of the ministers from any party. Politics nowadays is simply a case of lies, damned lies and statistical lies. However, the word 'lie' doesn't exist in politics anymore, as it's been replaced with the word 'spin' to make it sound much less serious.

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Good one this......

I have always said that if you don't use your vote then you forfeit the right to moan about what a mess the politicians are making of everything!! But I have to admit that I'm getting more and more apathetic towards them all. I think I'll probably vote despite the fact that I don't think any of then really represent what is important to me... :roll:

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I always make a point of voting, even though I am no great fan of our present electoral system, whereby you have to select whichever package you find least offensive, and then find whoever wins claims a mandate to do whatever they want. I'm pleased to be able to vote by post this time as, what with working in London, and having band practice on Thursdays, it means I can vote and get to practice, instead of missing practice as I have done in the past (there's not time to get home to vote and then get back out again to practice :shock: )

I am a little concerned, though, as to whether there are adequate safeguards surrounding postal voting. I also wish there was an option on the ballot paper stating "none of these", so that it would be possible to register a real protest vote without promoting another candidate whose policies you are not happy with either.

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Yes!! Bring in the ubiquitous RON!!!

I've voted for him as Sheffield Student Union president for 3 years on the trot now and he's still yet to get in.......

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How can you lose the right to moan if you're convinced they're all a bunch of lying heathens anyway? Having been through, domestically, 15 years of Tory sleaze (not to mention Thatcher) and the last few years dominated by the Blair/Bush Bum-Chum Show, I think they're are probably many of us entitled to be dissatisfied whether we vote or not. Just my opinion, though! ;-)

8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I'm voting because the BNP and UKIP are in my area and I don't want to see those racist, xenophobic scum win - sadly none of the mainstream parties really represent me properly, but then again I would be worried if they did! :wink:

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'm voting (got to vote 4 bloody times!) but really only in a desperate attempt to get Red Ken out of the Mayors office before he slaps a bloody great congestion charge zone round my house! (well Heathrow actually but it will force all the traffic past my doorstep, and make journey to band a living nightmare!).

10. WoodenFlugel

I can see what you're saying - but it's just my opinion too...

The reason I say that is demonstrated in a mate of mine....when Tone got in for his second term my mate was chuntering and moaning about Labour and how he felt the country would be better run by the Liberal Democrats, or whatever their calling themselves at the minute. I asked him if he'd voted for them and he told me he couldn't be bothered to go to the polling station. I wonder how many potential Liberal voters did the same and how it might of changed the results. (most likely not much on the last election but you know what I mean).

So I say "you've been given the chance to change things but you choose not to take it, therefore you can't moan about it when you don't like what you get" Even if it's a protest vote for the Monster Raving Loonies (labour?) or Save Our Dog's Home (Tory?)... :wink:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Voting
    spread
    ballot paper
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ian,

If Lord Sutch was still around I WOULD vote for the Loonies! ;-)

13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'll vote for you Dave :D

Brass And Anagrams Party (BAAP!)
    :D

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Sod the brass and anagrams, Steve, I'll just have the party! (hic!) ;-)

15. WoodenFlugel

Yeah! GO BAAP's!!! :lol: :lol:

I met Lord Sutch at the Miners rally in Hyde Park all those years ago (I was depping for Snibston band). He was a top bloke and we had quite a good old chat with him. Met Arthur Scargill too.....he made an impassioned speech before being helicoptered away.......Hmmmmm :?

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't think any of the available political parties really represent me anymore either, but will still be voting to maintain my right to whinge. Even if you don't think the other parties are up to the job surely it's worth trying to give them a chance if you don't think the present administration is up to it either?
    You'll never know till you give them a go.

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Or how about Brass Anagrams Sports Themes And Rants of Dave Society?

Ah, no.... the acronym wouldn't look great now, would it? ;-)

18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Paynes Anagrams and Nonsensical Terms Society :D

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

tMPers Worried About Toomuch Spin. :roll:

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Now THAT'S nearer the mark! ;-)

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well I'm not voting where I live at the moment anyway, I'm registered back home in Northamptonshire so i'm going to be voting for people I have no idea about... If there's an independant or small party that need to get enough votes to get their deposit back then I'll usually vote for them. All the main parties have made themselves look like idiots by coming up with extreme policies based on the latest trends from the Sun/Mirror/Daily Sport and so I don't take them seriously, and lets face it, if Labour are anything to go by, you can't even go by their manifesto because it's all a pack of lies!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Voting
    spread
    ballot paper