post match analysis

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by six pints, Oct 8, 2005.

1. six pints

six pints Active Member

ok, so i dont pretned to know everything bout football BUT i have two questions....

1. Why did Mr Beckham get sent off for two barely yellow card offences?

2. Why take Mikky O off when he's captain, playing a canny game, and Crouch was left on? i understand why he took a striker off, but surely Crouch would have been a better option??

Answers on a postcard or in here folks....

2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

My thoughts are...
    1. 'Cos the ref's a plonker
    2. 'Cos Sven's a plonker

3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Crouch looked completely out of his depth. Couldn't understand the substitution. Hope Sven doesn't go and do something stupid like playing Rooney as a winger to accomodate Crouch in next match. This has got to be an opportunity to try Wright-Phillips.

4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm not a fan of Mr Beckam at all, but he was very very unlucky.

The first yellow card was dubious as he didn't have many other options of where to put his arm, and the second yellow card shouldn't have even been a foul as Beckham was pulling out of the challenge, unlike one of the Austrians in the first half when Owen was brought down in the area and nothing was given.

I'm now looking forward to the Poland match because I honestly think England will be a lot better without Beckham. Throughout the time he was on the field of play, he was wandering all over the field from the right to the left and back again. It made all of the speculation about where Sven would place him pretty pointless. Also, he really didn't do that much to threaten the opposition. A good half of his passes were intercepted in the match, which for a world-class midfielder is an appaling ratio. Yes, he might be a brilliant set-piece technitian, but there are Englishmen out there who also have greater all-round ability.

As for Sven substituting Owen, the manager can swap whichever players he wants. Owen will be playing on Wednesday, Peter Crouch won't because Rooney will be back from suspension. With Sol Campbell injuring himself on the slippery surface, he didn't want the same fate to happen to one of his first choice strikers and that's fair enough. The fact he's captain is of little significance.

At the end of the day, England have qualified for the World Cup (Holland beat the Czech Repulic), but the result against Poland is still important as finish 1st or 2nd in the group could make the difference in the draw for the Group stages. The team must remember this on Wednesday and play a lot better than they did today or they could end up facing the toughest teams straight off in Germany and struggle.

One thing is certain, they won't even get through to the semi-finals of the World Cup or European Cup if they play like they have for the last few games.

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

blantely cos the ref didnt want to give two pens away. which is silly, cos we deserved both!

agreed

fair enought point, but if austria had scored i think you might have had a diff opinion

Luckily!

Agreed. Best of luck to the boys (and the few men left amongst them!!)

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not that bothered about England to be perfectly honest, as long as the Liverpool lads - Gerrard, Carra the Legend and Crouchinho - do well, but the most shocking thing yeserday was not that Wales managed to win - but that Wales managed to score - THREE TIMES! :)

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Gerrard and Carragher did well but Crouch will go on my list of 'players who should never have played for England' on that showing!

Still, living on the southern part of Arran, our main TV channels are fron Northern Ireland, so before the England game, I had the privilege of watching the whole of the NI v Wales game. Good football from both sides (particularly Giggs and NI's first goal) and even in the final few minutes, Wales weren't just happy to play out time, though 3-2 up, but kept going for another goal. Irrespectve of who actually deserved to win, it was a shame someone had to lose. The co-commentator said, 'This must be a great game for the neutral to watch.' and he was right. Far better entetainment than what followed at Old Trafford.

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. If ever there was evidence to bring back the Home International Championship or something similar, this match was it!

9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

To be honest Becks was a little unlucky with his second yellow. However.....
    His current form doesn't warrant a place in the starting 11 nevermind the Captians armband. When was the last time he produced an awe inspiring Captians performance? I think Gerrard, Lampard or Terry would make far better captains and Wright-Phillips would make a better option on the right than Becks.

Crouch didn't look comfortable and didn't seem to read the game too well either. There were a couple of passes that went across goal that just yelled to be put in the back of the net and he just didn't pick them up.

To be honest, I cant even see England getting past the group stage of the World Cup, which is a shame because the talent is there, but more often than not stuck on the bench!!!!

Rant over!! ;)

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Beckham shouldn't have been sent off for the challenges because they were nothing, but he's got no-one but himself to blame as he constantly went after that bloke, think there were at least 5 challenges in a couple of minutes...even if there's nothing in the challenge that got him booked you can't go hurtling after some like a looney. Personally i think he should be dropped as he's just a waste of space, don't remember the last time I saw him have a good game for us!

Personally on the Owen/Crouch situation I thought Crouch was on the whole more in the game than Owen, and so deserved to stay on and at least have a full run out...plus Owen had plenty of chances to score, but he couldn't even hit a barn door...just goes to show what playing for Newcastle does for you!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Beckham
    Crouch
    Mikky O
    postcard
    captain
  12. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

If Austria had scored before the substitution, then yes; if they had scored afterwards, then it was just bad luck.

The media made a big thing about Sven only picking players on reputation before the match. It certainly seems to be the case with Beckham. I just hope that with Gerrard and Campbell out on Wednesday, England can still put up a better performance without Beckham in the side.

13. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

You are joking I assume

What do people expect from peter Crouch he did exactly what you knew he would do.

Don;t start me off about Steven Gerrard!!

The betting is on that with SG DB England will do well wednesday Lampard will be a free man SWP will terrorise down the wing and probably Ledley King will hold firm in the middle.

But fear not SGE will re-instate the rubbish we had on saturday when the world cup comes along

14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Did anyone see The Match on Sky One last night? Get some of those guys in the squad (from either side) at least they played like they cared!

sorry, given up on England and football, until such time as the FA get a) a manager who actually gives a stuff about the national squad rather then his paypacket, b) Get players who do likewise we'll never ahceive anything. Lets face it these guys go on the pitch and they just don't seem to care.

I'll stick with rugby thanks.