Post Christmas Blues

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by brassbandmaestro, Jan 1, 2009.

1. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well someone was saying to me why I dont start a thread for people like me who need to loose a few pounds or stones in my case! If you have any genouine problems or want support, just put a post here. I would really like to loose 5 or even 6 stones by the end of this year!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Blues
    stones
    support
    Post Christmas Blues
    dont
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Somewhere there is a website which talks about making changes but always in small "baby steps" rather than a major lifestyle change which won`t last and leaves you feeling more useless than before.
    So my "babystep" is going to be drinking one glass of water tomorrow (before all the coffees!) and keeping that up for 21 days. (habit forming)

4. brassbandmaestro

I dont seem to be too bad about life changing habits. I know that something has to be done and the only way is to be really firm with yourself. I am obviously going to be taking it in small steps throughout this new year. Setting targets for each month, etc.

5. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Yeah, that's like the thing Boots have been advertising for a few years now- Change One Thing. I agree with Mezzy that it's best to take things slowly in manageable steps and keep working towards an overall achievement than to go too fast and fail.
    My one thing to change now is to drink a glass of ice cold water on the hour, ever hour. Keeps the metabolism going and I think I need a post Christmas detox! However, it can only last a few days seeing as I'm back at school on Monday and won't have the access to the water- just going to have to drink as much as I can in school and stick to my routine in the evenings!

6. brassbandmaestro

Good to see you Flutey. Yes ice cold water will help the detox. A good flushing out of the digestive system. Probably your body also telling you its had enough alcohol for the time being.

7. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I think my body has been telling me it's had enough alcohol since Christmas eve, but I've ignored it anyway!
    Make manageable targets, BBM. When you lose weight, you need to appreciate that you will lose at different rates. Quite often, people lose a lot of weight as they first start, but as the body adjusts to the new regime they find it hard to keep up the pace of weight loss. If you are setting targets then you need to really seriously consider this otherwise you may be doing more harm than good by trying to get to a GW (goal weight).

8. brassbandmaestro

Or just hope that I would have lost enough weight as each wek goes by, most likely. I have been on weight watchers before but that's quite expensive really, so self motifiation will be the name of the game here, methinks. I lost after the first couple of weeks 5ilbs a week but then I have a lot to loose so that wouldn't matter and that came from my GP.

9. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I'm being perfectly honest with you here. I can see that from your profile picture here and what I've seen on Facebook, there is no way whatsoever that you need to lose 6 stone. For someone who was morbidly obese, that amount would be acceptable to lose in a year but I genuinely think that you could damage your body by losing that amount in such a short space of time. You do realise that you are currently aiming to lose 84lb, which works out to about 1.6lb per week. That's a reasonable amount to lose initially but as I say, the metabolic rate will change as you get thinner and you may find you want to decrease your GW by slightly less after the first few months.

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

That lowers your body temperature so burns calories (tiny amounts) but becareful of overdoing it as too much water can be unhealthy and even cause death as happened recently to a lady dieter who drank 4 litres in one go for several days.

BBM I agree with Flutey - take it easy - you really are not that big.:)

11. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I read about that woman, it was quite scary! But Mezzy, as you know, I probably won't have a problem with having too much water in my body!

BBM YOU ARE NOT THAT BIG! Hehe, sorry, I just want to drum it into your head. I seriously doubt you need to lose as much as that- in fact, you will find that by eating heathily and exercising you will be gaining muscle so your weight is likely to be inconsistent for a while- it's perfectly normal to be getting thinner physically but be putting on weight through muscle!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Blues
    stones
    support
    Post Christmas Blues
    dont
  13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I "loosed" a few pounds sterling in the Sales... dunno where they went. I could do with losing a few pounds avoirdupois though... ;)

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Go visit your GP.

I am very fortunate that I have a very supportive GP. I went to him and told him I was unhappy and he has offered me loads of help and advice.

Since November 8th I have lost a stone and a half which equates to 3" off my waist size!

Only you can do it, you can listen to every bit of advice, follow every faddy diet, but unless you are committed to eating healthily and exercise, it will never happen!

Good luck BBM!

15. brassbandmaestro

Thanks people, but that pic was taken last summer. I weigh 19stone 9ilbs now thanks to Christmas and New year etc, so I do need to loose some. It is rather uncomfortable. I should be about 13stones 7 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm targeting my weight in kg and my BMI (if anybody doesn't know how to calculate this, it's your weight in kg divided by your height in metres, squared - so a person 1.9m weighing 90kg has a BMI of 90 / (1.9 x 1.9) = 24.9). Healthy BMI is around 25, mine is currently around 30. I'm also going it alone, which annoys my wife as she's a successful Slimming World consultant.

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Another good way of checking your progress is to measure your waist rather than getting on the scales all the time!

18. brassbandmaestro

Go for it Dave! Good luck. Your BMI is similar to mine. The aim of this thread is to give each other tips, encouragement and support.

I have now decided that I will go for small targets, probably be best. Especially after Flutey and Mesmerist have given me advice on the subject!

Chunky, that's a good idea, re waist measurement. I will probably do a combination of all three of those ideas.

19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I lost a little weight last year, put some of it back in the last couple of months, but I got a Wii and Wii Fit at Christmas, so the fun and games should make it a bit easier to keep going. Good luck to you BBM. I have a couple of stones to lose also, not getting any younger here and starting to feel like an elderly lady, I need to put the :bounce back in my step!

20. brassbandmaestro

Heya Flugelgal, I am sure you have enough bounce in your step! Good luck with your weight loss! I've numerous reports about these Wii machines. like, saying when a person is obese and they are quite slim etc. How's it been for anyone else using this technology?

21. David Mann

David Mann Member

Unfortunately, it does tell the truth!

Anyway, first positive news, 0.5kg (1 lb) off this morning.

I'm going to start a weight loss thread I think.

22. brassbandmaestro

No repeating on this thread, David! Well done on your first weight loss!