Portraits Recording????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Jan 8, 2007.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Does anybody know of an online free recording of the piece Portraits?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Portraits
    piece
    anybody
    recording
    online free recording
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

I'll get a copy for you

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- as long as it is a genuine retail CD recording of the piece! Copying and sharing of music in either sheet or audio format is illegal and this site does not support such activites period!

5. impycornet

impycornet Member

What if the piece has never been commercially recorded & in fact the copy that I am 'burning' is one done by the composer for his own purposes to see how the piece sounds 'live'

Will that suit you ?

Or would you rather I let someone trawl around for the next few months looking for a genuine "retail CD recording" that does not yet exist ??? ( Well not until we record it in 3 weeks time hence Matt's interest in hearing how the damn thing goes before he records it with us !!!!! )

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What matters here is whether the composer has got it published with a 3rd party or not. If he has published the piece using his own company ... fine, but ... for example ...

http://ahds.ac.uk/copyrightfaq.htm#faq7

7. impycornet

impycornet Member

It is an original work which has not yet been published so I can't see there being any problems with clarity of copyright.

When it does get published there will also be a new CD recording of the work available commercially which you are more than welcome to purchase either direct from the composer or at any Hepworth Band concert.

Hope this pleases you

http://ahds.ac.uk/copyrightfaq.htm#WGAFq7

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's a lot better when readers of this thread understand what is lawful and what is not. Generalising by simply saying
    gives the impression that it might be okay for everyone to copy/record performances without licence. Thanks for clarifying the situation. As the composer is currently the lawful copyright holder, he owns the rights to copy and distribute as he wishes.

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

Not really

Just by saying " I'll get you a Copy" doesn't mean that I am going to illegally duplicate something does it??

You could say to me - " I quite fancy the new Chris Moyles Book " and I could say " Well I'm in town tomorrow I'll get you a copy " inferring that I will buy a new one for you and you can give me the money back ??

Anyway

Cannot really be bothered taking this any further can you ?

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I agree - I think it has run its course. Best left alone now.

Ta both.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- nope! (although this site has to be careful of possible misinterpretation of phrases by others).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Portraits
    piece
    anybody
    recording
    online free recording
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

As soon as original work is created, copyright exists and is held by the creator of the work. In the case of a recording both the composer and performers have rights regarding the distribution of it, even if it's a private recording. If you're talking about passing on a private recording made by your band for the composer, all you need to comply with the letter of the law is permission from both parties to do so.

I imagine the composer of the work (I'm sorry, I don't know who it is?) would be happy for players involved in the premiere recording to know how the piece goes before the sessions and would be happy for you to pass on a recording for those purposes (although you should check); I'm equally sure that, once you've done the premiere recording, neither your band nor the composer would want a "bootleg" recording being circulated and perhaps undermining sales of the retail CD.

Good luck with the CD, it's always good to see bands recording new music. :clap:

14. chizzum

chizzum Member

cheers for the 'copy' Rob! It was enoyable in recieving it I must say!!!