Porthcawl Entertainment Contest + Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Deano, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Deano

Deano Member

I'm thinking of going down to sunny Porthcawl this Saturday (21/02/04), anybody know the full line-up of bands competing?
  2. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'll probably pop down for some of the day. But I've no idea who's playing.

BTW, can you remind Whatley that he promised he was going to register on here after joining in the fun at Children In Need last year. Where is he?
  3. weenie

weenie Member

I'll be down there for a pint or two, or three, I've absolutely no idea of the line up and anyway, we best not put it up here, as it's closed adjudication!!
    Anyone know who the adjudicator is??
  4. JessopSmythe

What time's it start?
  5. twm_trombone

twm_trombone Member

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Results now in:

1. Tredegar 195 pts
    2. Tongwynlais 193 pts
    3. Beaumaris 192 pts.

Best Soloist: Martyn Patterson (Euphonium - Endearing Young Charms)

Highest placed 1st section band: Ammanford

Most Entertaining Stage Presentation: Beaumaris

10 Bands entered.

Adjudicator: Roy Sparkes.

(courtesy of our roving tMP reporter: Mr. Jessop Smythe)

7. JessopSmythe

I think that random drug testing should be brought into band competitions. Either Martyn Patterson (Sorry Rog, not sure if it's your hearing or my accent :wink: ) is on performance enhancing drugs or he's not human :D

It is not physically possible to play a Euph like that!

Incidentally, having listened to 8.5 of the 10 bands (missed BTM and arrived about halfway through Parc & Dare) I personally would have put Beaumaris and Tredegar the opposite way round. Generally, the performances and the results highlighted the gap between the good bands and the really good ones. No body played really badly (Although there were one or two programme choices I don't think worked too well) but the top placed bands really were a class above the others.

Having said that, In my eyes, Pontardulais should have had the prize for "Best stage presentation", purely for allowing the principal cornet to go on stage wearing a skirt that was shorter than her jacket :D
  8. hornette

hornette New Member

Huh hmmmm.... That principle cornet of Pontarddulais happens to be a close friend... Don't you think that comment was rather rude? :evil:
  9. JessopSmythe

Why is it rude? I made no comment other than the fact it was entertaining :roll:

From a presentation point of view, it was actually very poor, all of the other women in the band were wearing either trousers or skirts with black tights so to have one player standing out so obviously was very unproffessional
  10. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Your not the only one to think that!

Had a good time down in Porthcawl. Slightly suprised not to have got first, but thats contesting isn't it! Must come down to the south for the area to perform even better next time!

Fair play to the Euph player, superb he was!