Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by michellegarbutt, Sep 14, 2003.

How should porridge be made and served

1. Made with milk and served sweet

2. Made with milk and served salty

3. Made with water and served sweet

4. Made with water and served salty

5. Made OR served some other way

6. Porridge should NEVER be made or served to anyone

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

After reading the weetabix debate it crossed my mind that this might be an ideal place to sort out an argument between ChewyTuba and myself. We both love porridge. I believe it should always be made by adding milk to the oats then served with sugar, golden syrup, cream or some other sweet accompaniment. Chewy belives it should be made by adding water to the oats and served with salt (yuk :hammer ). Who is right or are we both wrong. cast your votes now please
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

definately to be made with milk, with a huge lump of jam stuck in the middle
  3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Pure And Simply-

4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

That's not true at all. I thought it was a cracking series and really enjoy watching the re-runs on bravo and the like.
  5. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

:wink: My Appologies , Yes it was Cracking!
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

'Tis nice with jam, like rice puddin' also nice with a huge blob aof jam!!!
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

hmmm, funny you should mention rice pudding... :wink:
  8. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

no, no, no, no, no, porridge should be made with milk and salt added, none of this sweet stuff, yuck!!!!!!!!!! :( :shock:
  9. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

My god this is Old Mans food - My father has been trying to feed me this stuff since I was a child, can't stand it :x
  10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'd say dark brown sugar is best tro sweeten porridge, but half milk and half water so its not too creamy.
  11. Naomi McFadyen

you're half way to 50 ;o)
    some people think that's old :lol: :p

(just getting you back for your women and technology comment the other week ;o))

12. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Argh shiver me timbers, I better go and lie down, all this excitement, I need me nap!!
  13. Naomi McFadyen

lol! :lol:

14. rutty

rutty Active Member

I used to put a nice big swirl of Golden Syrup in the middle of my porridge, plus I liked it so thick that you could stand your spoon in it. Or even apply it as rendering to a wall ;)
  15. timbloke

timbloke Member

My dad's recipe for porridge was thus...

oats:milk:water ratio of 1:1:2 with a little cocoa powder mixed in... CHOCOLATE PORRIDGE!!! then loads of golden syrup all over the place, some in the bowl, and a bit of ice-cold milk to cool it down.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I had never taken porridge with salt until I spent a couple of months staying in Greenock. Now I am quite happy to have it either way - made with water and served with salt - with slice sausage to follow! - or made with milk and served with sugar . . . depends how the mood takes me :wink:
  17. bladder

bladder Member

If you fancy porridge done slightly different try putting in a mashed banana while it's warming up, and use some honey to sweeten!!
  18. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Are to trying to tell us something here Peter! :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  19. faerie

faerie Member

Thats how I like it too :) And really thick.
    Cant beat a good bowl of porridge to start off a day in the field.

Oh really? ;) :)
  20. ju33les

ju33les Member

Instructions for making porridge:
    Put on kettle.
    Tear open sachet of instant Golden Syrup flavour porridge, and tip contents into bowl.
    Pour on boiling water.
    Eat whilst watching GMTV in the morning, slopping most of it down ones chin.
    Go to work.
    If not at work...skip first 4 instructions and slap two pieces of toast in the toaster!

Ooops - forgot most important part:
    Skip all instructions and let hubby do it for you, apart from "going to work" (unfortunately)