Popular Tenor Trombone Solos and ‘borrowable’ pieces.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2nd tenor, Oct 5, 2014.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I’m thinking towards the long term when maybe I might be ‘up to’ offering to do a solo piece with the band. I’d be interested to hear what Trombone Solos are popular with players and/or audiences. A feel for the difficulty of the pieces would be good too and if they were ABRSM grade pieces that could be a bonus later - ’The Acrobat’ is an ABRSM piece and roughly matches the limit of my rather lowly ability :frown:.

Suggestions please; Tenor Trombone pieces preferred but I’d consider something simpler (in bass clef) for a Bass Trombone too if it can be readily played on a Bb/F instrument. I also don’t mind ‘nicking’ a Euphonium or Baritone piece either but lack of valves does limit what I might reasonably attempt.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

What level of ABRSM ? do you want a comedy item such as the acrobat or a ballad, or air varie type?

The Guilmant Morceau symphony published under the title Concert Piece is available from the SA....that is standard around grade 8 now I think!

Ballad you have something like Stardust etc
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

The Acrobat is a Grade 6 piece, I could offer that now and with a bit of help do a passable performance. In a year or two some grade 7 pieces might just about fall within what I can achieve but realistically years of hard work just don't make up for a lack of talent - many teenagers play better than me :oops:, but I'm please for them and try to enjoy my own lesser skills.

So that this post might also help others please feel free to list/suggest items of all different types/styles. When I listen to others and play for my enjoyment then ballad's (and other proper tunes) are my first choice but comedy is a fine second choice. Air varie isn't 'my cup of tea' at all.
  4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Do you have lessons from a trombone teacher? if not it would be worth seeking one out, and your level would make huge steps forward with a proper practice regime......

Don't discount air vaie...they have been the staple of bandstands for 100yearsand more....maybe thoughts of love by Pryor think that is grade 8 or so.

Bill Geldard arranged Stardust for Don Lusher and is available with band parts from Studio music I believe.

The thing is to find a solo you like, and can work on!