Poor playing times for concert! Not a good advert!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapier, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Bit of a rant here. I listened to a Brass Band playing in a local park recently. They played from 11.00 until 11.30, then had a break for 30 minutes and then played from 12.00 until 12.20!! I heard a lot of moans from people in the Audience. Most listen to the various bands that perform each week and were quite disgusted with the shortness of the performance. I heard one couple say they intend to write to the Council to complain.

So come on guys, if you're booked for a Park job, earn the money. It's hard enough getting the Council to fund the events at it is! :mad:

2. spufferoo

spufferoo Member

I'd be surprised if the council, gave two figs about it. Twice in the last year we have turned up at park concerts as part of the Leeds concert season to be met with no chairs, a complete waste of the bands time.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well Killamarsh have done two of park jobs recently and for both we had a contract which stated exactly what was required.

Chesterfield Market Square - "24 members in uniform playing 1.30 to 3.30" we just managed the 24 players and because it was so hot gave them three 30 minute slots with two 15 min breaks.

Newark Castle - time fixed as 2.30 to 4.30 and we were asked to only break for 20 minutes - there was even a lady from the council there all afternoon doing a survey on bands.

We always offer either two 45 mins with a 30 minute break or three 30 mins with two 15 minute breaks - that way the band only need to know the start time to work out what time we will finish, i.e 2 hours after we start playing. We occasionally get requests for stupid playing times at fetes/shows e.g, can you do 30 minutes starting at 11.30 and then another 30 minutes at 4pm - can you beleive that they'd want the band to turn out for 5 hours?!!!. Generally we will only extend our start to finish time by an extra 30 minuites and then we'd put our fee up too.

4. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Appreciate everyone's different but my band wouldn't have gone a second time if they coudn't be bothered the first time. As posts have said a clear contract is required. The band should lead this and state exactly what the band requirements are for the performance.
    If the employers can't abide by what you require (within reasonablness) I would advise against taking the job.

Bandstand jobs we will play for 2 hours with a 20 minute break, after all that is what our self promoted concerts are like.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

About 4 years ago,the council built a beautiful little bandstand at Yeadon Tarn near Leeds.
    It was in the circular Victorian style with wrought iron railings and a lovely tiled roof.
    The only drawback was that when the brass bands booked by the Council turned up to play, it was so small it could only accomodate about 10 players and no percussion.
    When this was pointed out to the Council their response was that " No more than 10 players will be required for this type of performance"
    I don't know how many chairs were provided !!!
    - Wilky

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The bandstand at Newark Castle is excellent - no stage as such just a paved area with steel columns supporting a traditional bandstand roof. Loads of room inside and if you need more as there are no side you can spread out. The sound really travels well and the setting is superb.

We've played at one or two that were a bit on the small size - Carlisle comes to mind.

7. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

The council not providing things also bothers me. We had a job yesterday in a city park, a council job, and we had to take our own chairs. I don't have a particular problem with having to take a chair, but why can't the council provide us with chairs?! Its so stupid and makes the band look untidy on stage because all the chairs are, well lets say, of varying heights! Plus we're doing the job for the council so why are we expected to pay to park in a council car park, I don't mean just this job, its the same for all council jobs it doesn't make sense.

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

On Sunday 20th August we are at Ashby Bath Grounds from 2ck-apox 4.30 i will let you know how long we played for and how long break we had as well

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

:eek: Thats hardly worth going and setting up for!

We did a park job on Sunday aswell... in the seaside town of Ilfracombe on the lovely bandstand there.... its some 20 miles from the bandroom and it took us easily half an hour to set up all the chairs (not done for us!) stands, percussion and sound system! We played the first half for over and hour (Gilly was conducting and compereing .... and answering members of the audiences mobile phones over the microphone! and he's difficult to shut up) we had almost 20 minutes break (just long enough for an ice cream!) and then played for a further hour! so we did over two hours playing!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good topic to bring to tMP's attention ... one thing I was taught from an early stage of playing was to never underestimate the value of an audience, regardless of size. Even if it only a couple of people, it is likely one of them will have a keen interest in what you have to offer! Short-changing in either/both performance/time is just bad manners in my opinion.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    times
    advert
    bands
    lot
    Most
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well I know you give value for money Fi. As does Gilly, once he gets hold of that mike, there's no stopping him. :)

13. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

I was playing for Yeadon Band when they did the inaugural performance on the band stand. The band arrived but no chairs did, luckily some of us lived locally and had to go home and gte our dining room chairs and deck chairs. It was a right farce.

We put the percussionist on the band stand and the band sat in front. I vaguely recall making it into the YEP.

14. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Exactly! He kept walking around the park with it (It cordless!) going 'ooooh look it works over here aswell!' :tongue: and he was having little chats with people too see if they were on holiday.... waking people up who were sleeping.... and I still can't believe he answered the phone of one of the people in the park :tongue: he had a nice chat with the lady's husband over the phone.... and told him off for ringing during the concert!

We played for even longer at Minehead didn't we Dave? Wasn't it two lots of 45 minutes in the morning and two lots of 45 minutes in the afternoon? I know we played lots!

15. Deano

Deano Member

We did a council job in Barry recently, we had to carry the chairs 1/2 mile from the lifeguards station to the bandstand, they only had 16 chairs for us, we had to commandeer deck chairs from the audience to make up the rest, they then expected us to return them back to the lifeguards station at the end of the performance as well (no chance).

16. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Tredegar town council organise a great summer series in their bandstand. At least one council official turns up for each band to check no-ones taking the mick. If there's less than 21 (I think) players on stage, they don't pay. Makes sure the bands make a proper effort and everyone enjoys the afternoon. Maybe more councils should be this strict.

17. dickyg

dickyg Member

I hope there were no orchestral musicians in the audience. What would they think...............?

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Both of these quotes surprise me: we have a booking form, which outlines exactly what is expected from both parties - ie paying times of the band, the need for 25 chairs and a PA system etc etc. That way there can be no question as to what is expected from either the band or the organisers.

That said, if the band in question really were that shoddy, and assuming they hadn't agreed with the council those playing times, then I would hope that the council think twice before booking them again. That level of unprofessionalism does nothing for our movement IMO.

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

To bring you upto date on this :we are playing from 2-4 with about 15 min break,just hope the weather holds out for us;)

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just got back and we played from 2-3 with a 15 minbreak and then 3.15-4 which included encore as well .Also the weather just about held out for us as well plus a good turn out from the audience who were well pleased with how concert we gave:clap: