Pontypool Brass Band stopped from competing in local contest by SEWBBA!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Joanna Jones, Apr 30, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I think it commendable that SEWBBA have issued this statement and reconsidered their initial decision.
    However, on a personal level, I see the contents of the statement neither concillatory or apologetic, just arrogant.
    What a pity that we live in a society where mistakes are neither acknowledged or addressed, without further threats being issued.
    A very sad state of affairs indeed.

2. Little Welsh One

Little Welsh One New Member

I am delighted with the associations decision, but very disappointed that the association is very publically backing a member who was obviously acting in a predjudiced way against Pontypool brass band.

No slanderous comments have been posted on either here or facebook, or have names been mentioned. The only things that have been said have been from players from a number of bands that have discussed difficulties they have had with the SEWBBA both past and present. Surely something is only slander if it is not based on fact? The issues discussed have happened and you would think that the association would be concerned about this and want to improve their practise in future to ensure smooth and fair running of the brass band scene.

I would be interested to know what action is going to be taken against the association member who caused the problem in the first place as the facts remain that the secretary of the band was offered support by a member of the association; he even sent an email to this person checking that there was nothing more he needed to do to enter the contest. The reply sent (in March) stated that as long as the band had paid there was nothing more that needed doing. The same person then initially refused the band entry to the contest stating that he wouldn't do them any favours due 'to the idiot in the middle' and gave the lack of returning the form as the official reason.

In fact, the vast majority of the members of Pontypool brass band have deliberately not commented on the issue in any public forum so I do not think that it is fair that the band should be 'blamed' for raising this issue; surely they have had enough to deal with during this difficult time. The band were simply concerned with the overturning of the decision, others issues that have arisen are nothing to do with Pontypool brass.
    I suggest that the next meeting of the association should concentrate on ironing out the areas that have emerged as a result of this problem, rather than trying to place blame on to innocent parties.

Thank you to everyone on here who has supported Pontypool brass.