Pontins Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Oct 2, 2004.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Just wondering what everyone thinks of them.

Am taking a band in 3rd section and having fun with the Mr Barry's Prelude and Jubilate trying to work things out.

QUite like the piece but think it could possibly be a bit too hard for the 3rd section

Any other comments

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    Barry
    bit
    piece
    Pontins Test Pieces
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I thought the last movement of "The Deep" was one of the cheesiest things I'd heard in a while... and I think a few 1st trombones are going to be soiling themselves coming to the start of the second movement if they've had a few the night before!

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

This year at Pontins the test pieces are niot all that inspiring to play .The only one that looks any good BUT IT WAS USED FOR THE SAME SECTION only about 6/7 years ago is LONDON OVERTURE for first section bands.
    Organisers could have picked something else to play i.e:ESSAY.

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i cant speak for the other sections as ive not herad the pieces, but personaly i love prelude and jubilate. I think Mr Barry has written a test piece that will do just that to the third section. not only is it a challenging piece to play its an easy piece to listen to.
    i love it!!!

6. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yes we love the 3rd section peice and are having fun with it, especially my perc section aged 8, 8, 9 and 11!
    yes I agree its challenging, but thats what its all about

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Oooo I like it (third section too) it's so nice, jolly and generally has a smiling effect on me! Can't wait

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I am enjoying 'Dances and Arias.' There are some fun bits in the Eb Bass Part :D

9. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

aye, dances and arias is beltin!

10. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I think i was more woried about all the semiquavers in the first movement not the start of the second. It was only when the man in the middle turned round and said those are gonna be a hell of a lot faster, technicall stuff is a pain

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Having done the Percussion master class with Long Eaton Silver and the 3rd section piece, I like it a lot... a GOOD challenge for 3rd section! :)

Dances and Arias is good for top section...

Thumbs up to all the pieces... (as always)...........

:lol:

:-D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    Barry
    bit
    piece
    Pontins Test Pieces
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think the 2nd movement of The Deep will really sort the bands out, especially when you consider the tempo it should be played at, very demanding, otherwise fun piece. Better than Chaucer's Tunes anyway.....

14. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

am Loving London Overture!!!
    Lovely tunes and REALLY difficult!, This is gonna sort the big boys out.
    And will show off the top Trombone, Cornet, Horn and Euph players!!! (my those cadenza's sound hard!!)
    Dances and Arias is good too, playing at uni and its Great!!!
    ....BUT 26 BANDS IN THE FIRST SECTION, A FEW TOO MANY I THINK!!