Pontins Pieces Announced

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AJSOP, Feb 4, 2005.

1. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Not sure if this one has been posted already-

THE HARRY AND MARGARET MORTIMER CHAMPIONSHIP

Sunday 30th October 2005
    Three Figures – Herbert Howells - Studio Music.
    Adjudicators: Nigel Boddice & Geoffrey Whitham

FIRST SECTION

Saturday 29th October 2005
    Lorenzo – Thomas Keighley - R. Smith & Co.
    Adjudicators: - Brian Buckley & Roy Sparkes.

SECOND SECTION

Sunday 30th October 2005
    Laudate Dominum - Edward Gregson - S P & S Ltd.
    Adjudicators - Brian Buckley & Roy Sparkes.

THIRD SECTION

Excelsior" – Howard Snell - Kirklees Music
    All competing bands in Section 3 should be aware that the percussion part 3 is to be omitted from performances at the contest.
    Adjudicators: - Ian Brownbill & David Horsfield

FOURTH SECTION

Prelude Song & Dance - John Golland - Kirklees Music.
    Adjudicators: - Nigel Boddice & Geoffrey Whitham

Thanks to 4barsrest.com

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Geoffrey Whitham FIRST SECTION
    Brian Buckley
    SECOND SECTION
    Laudate Dominum
    Edward Gregson - SP & S Ltd
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Why is percussion part 3 being omitted from the 3rd section test piece? Surely if it was written it should be played. If you havent got the 3rd percussionist then fine, but don't think it's a good idea to officially omit it.

4. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

exactly

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Blimey three figures...what a Great piece. wasnt it used as the 2nd section finals test a few years ago?
    for reference try and get hold of the YBS BBC festival brass recording ( 1996 ) brilliant playing , or the BBC Festival BBS recording 1992.
    I was talking about Lorenzo with Gav Saynor yesterday , still got a recording of the Deiniolen Band playing it at the National Eisteddfodd years ago ( could be 1991-1992 ) with a young dyl williams on solo horn , Iwan and Euros Williams, Eilir Williams ( YBS ) and a really young Gav Saynor on Eb bass..great choice for the 1st section
    well done pontins

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

All the pieces are fine, but is it not just another step back? Is noone prepared to take a risk on a young composer? I go back to all those pieces that have only been used once that were popular on the one occasion they were used.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yup - '91 it was Nick. Actually, wouldn't mind hearing that recording! ;)

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

No worries Dyl will dig the tape out over the weekend and drop it off with Gav ( dont know if the big fella has still got a copy of it ). we were working out if it was Julian or Ieuan on Sop . still will get it over to you Dyl :)

9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it was originally written for my youth band and at the time we had 3 percussionists so a part was written for each player as we have 50+ children in the band.

It's a great piece though.

10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Yeah but if you are going to set a test piece then it should be played if possible with all the parts.

11. baribari

baribari Member

I personally think Herbert Howells' music is fantastic - especially like1st piano concerto. I played 3 figures a few years back (about 98,99ish?) in Nottingham in 2nd section I think - brilliant piece and thoroughly enjoyable to play. I believe it was written for three prominent brass band people (their names are the titles of each movement - Iles was one I think - cant remember others though). Wierd 2nd movement. One of my favourite pieces by one of my favourite composers.

On the other hand...when was this written? 50's? how about airing something more challenging (not saying 3 figures isn't) and contemporary. Give the players a chance to play something more modern and the audience (which will be near 90% "banding people") a chance to hear something they may not have hear before. Top section should be more challenging - how about Moon and Mexico (dont hear that very often), or Chain or Albion something a little "fresher"?

Choice of piece (A+)
    Imagination shown (D-)

Herbert Howells' music is excellent though.

my opinion, not necessarily anyone elses

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Geoffrey Whitham FIRST SECTION
    Brian Buckley
    SECOND SECTION
    Laudate Dominum
    Edward Gregson - SP & S Ltd
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Three Figures - Cope's Challenge , Iles Interlude and Rimmers Race written for the 1960 Nationals. one of my favourite test pieces .

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Recordings available from World of Brass as follows;

THE HARRY AND MARGARET MORTIMER CHAMPIONSHIP
    Three Figures – Herbert Howells
    Festival of Brass 1992 (Britannia Building Society Band)
    Virtuosi Brass Band of GB, Volume 5

Both of these titles are currently in our SALE for £4.99 each and stocks are limited.

FIRST SECTION
    Lorenzo – Thomas Keighley
    Centenary Brass (Fodens Courtois Band)
    Brass Band Classics Volume 3 (Buy As You View Band)

SECOND SECTION
    Laudate Dominum - Edward Gregson
    (This is an SP&S publication and is available for purchase by clicking HERE)
    Gregson Volume 2 (Black Dyke Mills Band)
    United (New York Staff Band)
    Laudate (Norwich Citadel Band)
    2004 NZ Festival of Brass (Trusts Porirua City Brass)

Laudate is currently in our SALE for £2.99 and stocks are limited.

THIRD SECTION
    Excelsior – Howard Snell

No recording available from World of Brass

FOURTH SECTION
    Prelude Song & Dance - John Golland

No recording available from World of Brass

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

does anyone know if it was omitted when it was used for the 3rd Section national finals test piece a few years ago?

16. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

Having been a member of the winning band that year :cool: (shazam), I can confirm that we played with 3 percussionists on stage.

17. paulspud

paulspud Member

If it was in 2000 at the RAH, i think we had 4 percussionists on stage for some reason!?!?! Can't remember why, though....

18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Was it Comic Relief?

<hides>

19. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

How gutted am I, Laudate Dominum is one of my favourite pieces and we've just been moved down to the third section *cries like a baby*

20. paulspud

paulspud Member

The way we played, it could have been.....

I think the reason was that 2 of the 3 "regular" percussionists were newcomers (including myself), and having the fourth percussionist covered the parts easier. Having said that, did it not have 4 parts? I seem to remember the ending being played on Glock, Xylophone & vibraphone together, with a seperate timp part.

There was also an issue about the timps being way out of tune/slipping out of tune for the first 8 bands IIRC.

21. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Hi Folks

Don't know the championship piece so can't comment but Howell's music is usually sound (Pageantry is ace!).

Lorenzo - great piece but I would say very easy for 1st section (played it, with good results, in 3rd section)

Variations on Laudate Dominum - one of my favourites (keep threatening my conductor to bring it to band - 4th section), 2nd section should find this OK

Don't know "Excelsior!" or "Prelude, Song and Dance" so no comments - might try and sneak a look at the score for Prelude at Preston or Blackpool and if looks good might put in a bid to attend!

Cheers

22. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well once again i will not be going to listen to it as a piece been chosen for the Top section i do not like:-(