pontins equipment and facilities :(

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Nov 1, 2004.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

.....no not the accomodation

This is not meant to have a big old crack at the NW committee but there were a few things I was dissappointed in. I hope we can constructively use this thread to try and encourage the committee to make improvements for next year.

The first thing is the warm-up facilities that were used for the 2nd Section. The room was tiny to start off with and no stands were provided. If we were meant to bring our own, we certainly didn't know about it. It meant the bands didn't have a chance to get playing together with a quick warm up on hymns etc (which is certainly well needed)

Secondly the gong used in the section didn't have proper stand!! Whilst we were setting up the stage for our performance the 'stand' was being taped up.... :shock::shock::shock:

Whilst the 2nd is very likely to be a one-off as Ray generally does a fantastic job of organising the percussion please can we have some stands for the warm-up rooms?? or at least notification to bring a set for ourselves.
  2. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I saw one band on Sunday afternoon warming up in the Launderette, another using the Cricket ground around the back and another the nightclub on the sea front.

Anyway at least they put the marquee up at the Queen Vic (priorities).:oops:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

It did make the section last a bit longer then it had to. It was so funny thought if bands wanted it moved (most of them) they had to take it up, take the gong of, move it, hammer it down, and then put the gong steadily back on while the stand swayed wearily back and forth. Never saw warm up rooms but when i join a band im sure i will.
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Yeah, we weren't impressed with the warm up room either. Lugged all our stuff up there only to not actually do owt with it cos of lack of stands. The tellys didn't work either :-(

I'm not sure if the rehearsal room we used in the morning had anything to do with the organisers of pontins at all, but the seafront nightclub we used was horrific. I've practiced in some stinking, smoky, stale beerish venues before but that took the biscuit. The cleaners had literally only just got there. Rehe***** with a dual vacuum cleaner accompaniment!

Not that it affected our performance though ;)
  5. skweeky

skweeky Member

i was confused about the electric in our chalet. It had £72.30 on it all weekend, never went down a penny:shock:
  6. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Perhaps you should have been playing Malcolm Arnold's "Grand Grand Overture," scored for symphony orchestra, pipe organ, four rifles, three vacuum cleaners and one floor polisher in E flat. The piece originally premiered in 1954 at the Hoffnung Festival, named after Gerald Hoffnung, an amateur tubist and New Yorker-style cartoonist who liked to include musical instruments in his works.

7. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Dont complain at least you didnt have to pay for it!!! having said that im glad i didnt stay in a chalet but in rhyl.(arrr double bed and nice fluffy towels with full breakfast)
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i was a bit confused as our chalet had a big iron print on the carpet but no ****** iron was to be seen anywhere! I had to iron my shirt with Elin's hair straighteners!
  9. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Wasn't it very,very fortunate that it was a fine day.......at least on Saturday, don't know about Sunday!! Who knows what would have happened whilst we waited outside to "sign on"! That procedure in itself is farcical...any one could have swapped places with me or any other member of the band in between checking our cards and going on stage!!

TIMBONE Active Member

Who's a clever girl then? No, I'm not being sarcastic, I sort of knew some of that, but not as clearly as you do. It is a really funny piece, and it just keeps 'ending', every conceivable symphonic 'ending' you can think of.
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Warm up room for us was the same one the tMP band rehe***** in Saturday.

The most difficult part for me was leaving the warm up room at 11:05 and then not being aloud to toot my horn until I went on stage about 1 hour 10 later!!

I think they could have managed the time thing a bit better.
  12. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yes, it did seem a long time hanging about, 4.15 till around 6pm when we played!
    Nice warm up room, no stands, back out in the cold! glad it didnt rain!,
    Nicest weather I've known at pontins, still caught Pontins flu though!
    Had a good time though........... we didnt use much electric, well didnt use any actually! I still have 4 spare cards
    We also had the trademark iron marks on the carpets!!
  13. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Anyone interested in Gerard Hoffung's music should hot foot it down to HMV where both of Hoffnung's live concerts have been released on CD in the 'HMW Easy' series ( 7243 5 73877 2 9), a bargain at £5.99. It is always guaranteed to raise my spirits! Of particular interest to brass players is the Concerto for Hose-Pipe and Strings.

14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

'scuse me aidan... but they were mine! :D