Pontins Chalets for Non-Playing Bandspeople.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by westburykid, May 8, 2003.

?

Should non players be allowed to book chalets at Pontins?

1. YES, Its good for bar revenue and the atmosphere.

96.3%
  2. NO, they should wait until the band line ups are complete.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. DONT CARE, not going or in a B&B in Rhyl

3.7%
  1. westburykid

westburykid Member

Has anyone tried to book a chalet for this years pontins and have been told they cannot? It was mentioned at last year contest that the chalets were being held for the players only this year.
    Is this fair?
    Surely bands which travel a distance would book plenty early enough.
    To be honest playing spoils the weekend a bit for me anyway.

Would be a bit unfair to not be allowed to go cos my band are going to the finals a cannot afford to enter Pontins as well. Plus we are English, and only 60 miles away, so we never benefit from the Welsh and "Long distance" bias of the adjudicators!!!! (Only joking!)

2. Any bands going ought to book in early and chalets should be avalible to all, all bands apprieciate supportsers!

3. rutty

rutty Active Member

Shower party! 8)

First come - first served is usually fair.

4. Sueee

Sueee Member

I think everyone should go n it's up to players to book early enough... it would be boring otherwise!

5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I would have thought that since the top section is full, the bands will be booking their accomodation fairly soon. I can understand why Pontin's won't accept bookings from non-competing bandsmen, but it doesn't help the drinking fraternity.

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Pontins also imposed quite a strict chalet limit per band a couple of years ago. I do think playing bands should get offered the accomodation first if they want it but it should be restricted. It would hardly be fair if one band booked 26 chalets and everyone brought their mum, dad, Grampa, partner, kids, uncle jo and pet budgie! But first does mean they need to say pretty quickly! We have stayed off campus before and I have to say it is just not the same (even though the chalet I was staying in last year did have holes in the double glazing, which was very interesting with the gales that weekend!). The last thing you want to do is leave just as the party is getting going and have one person having to drive everyone back to their accomodation. We were hoping to get a group together and go as a non-playing group and we have had similar problems this year.

BUT I WILL BE THERE (even if I have to ermmmmm play to do it! :lol: )

7. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

We are all booked and ready for the Bar :guiness

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

As with any band event, non players enhance the atmosphere and in my mind make contests a lot more enjoyable as i feel i am performing to people who may really appreciate my performance regardless of it s standard, and may not just be sitting there judging as banding peers do.

Let 'em have the chalets if they want!

9. picju96

picju96 Member

We stayed in a pontins chalet that had holes in the windows, the curtains falling off and a door that wouldn't shut or lock. We had to jam a chair in front at night when everyone was in, and for me sleeping on the floor in the kitchen was not good, coz I had a draft all night. :(

10. jonford

jonford Member

Wondered how long it would take till a pontins conversation started! its gone so quick this year.

I think it should be first come first served for both bands and non band members. Wonder if Jacks goin this year lol and im sure u know who i mean!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    Pontins Chalets
    Non-Playing Bandspeople
    Welsh
    distance
  12. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I am unfamiliar with the concept of booking chalets..... I always think its much more fun to go "on spec" with a sleeping bag!

13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I know that bands who played last year were given a priority booking on shalets. I also know that last year the lower sections didn't get filled up cos rumours circulated that it was fully booked.

We're going... will need a couple of trombones, a few cornets and percussion probably, so if anyone fancies it, get in touch. (4th section players - although i think we can borrow from the 3rd section).

and by the way... we are going to win... 8)

and the lottery numbers for next week are........ :wink:

14. twigglet

twigglet Member

I have never been to Pontins and am always told that I have to go, but my band don't do it. So I am definately going to go this year. As for accommodation well i think i'll just go with the flow really!!

15. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

you should know enough people there to be honest elin. If I go i'll be doing the same!

16. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

The chalets should be on a first come first get basis for playing and non-playing, but the problem does arise when like last year, a few complete non-banders booked the weekend, and a few people ended up having to visit the local A&E Dept.
    We have already booked, but could not believe the increase in price for this year.....

17. westburykid

westburykid Member

Aye, I have paid 70 quid more for my Chalet than I did for the same class chalet 3 years ago. Mind you I think we get two bog rolls this year instead of one! :shock:

Must be a bit of a shock for non-banders if they turn up for a nice break at Pontins that weekend! :twisted:

Does anyone remember the Hostein Tankard thingy on the Friday night two years ago? 5 quid for two pints of Holstein Pils and you can keep the glass.

Not sure how I made the stage for Purcell Variations on the Saturday!!

Cant wait for Chips and Curry sauce from that chippy by the front doors!!! :p

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

:shock: pontins is the most awful place for food in the world. U can't buy anything there. We take our own food for a big breakfast but u can't make a fried egg coz the pans were sooo rubbish. This year I am gonna take a frying pan as well! :lol:

19. picju96

picju96 Member

Some of our band got food poisioning from that chippy last year, I avoided it and lived on pot noodles and bread rolls from the supermarket. Oh and crisps in the pub. Didn't even think about using the frying pan - it looked disgusting.

20. twigglet

twigglet Member

Sounds like the best way, and also the funnest. You never know where you might end up!

:wink:

21. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

don't know about anyone else, but I never know anyway!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    Pontins Chalets
    Non-Playing Bandspeople
    Welsh
    distance