Pontins-anyone else think it's a rip off?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MattB, Sep 20, 2004.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Having seriously considered entering Pontins contest this year, I was somewhat put off by the £130 entrance fee!! Being a band made up of a diversity of ages we would not have stayed at the place, and therefore wouldn't have qualified for the £70 refund on entry fee.

Does anyone else think this is a wee bit off putting? Add the cost of coach on the day and you're talking nearly £500 for a day!

Comments please?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    rip off
    Pontins
    contest
    diversity
    ages
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The tory in me says no; a business has a right to make profits. However, the bandsman in me says yes, a complete rip off. It was the same at butlins for the mineworkers where bands who were only coming in for the contest had to pay at the gate to get in. Wonder if they charge all their summer entertainers for their stay as well. After all that's what we are providing - the weekends entertainment for other guests.

4. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

AFIK (others can clarify) the cost of travel for the coach is subsidised. Why is £130 excessive? Wychavon this weekend is around £150 I think.
    Is not the cost of entry reflected in that the prize money is also higher than a lot of other contests?

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What exactly is the entrance fee for? Surely this is to get the bands to commit to the contest. If a contest was a no fee entry would the organisers get loads of band saying they were going to go then at the last minute find that they have not got the numbers they were expecting. Surely the fee is set at a level that would ensure bands that had registered would think twice about losing the fee.

No reason of course why the bands couldn't be given the entrance fee back on the day of the contest when they turn up.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

The prize money at Pontins is a lot higher than many competitions though, so if you think you're going to win, it doesn't seem so bad! ;)

7. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I definitely feel for those bands who gamble a lot of money on the entry fees.

Pretty harsh when you also take this into consideration.

Pontins back pocket £££'s = ((d(n(b(m+10g))))*(h*2ap))-c

Take:

a=ales (2 per s per hour)
    b=bands (20 per n)
    c=cost of wholesold beer.
    d=days 2.25 (1/2s=3d, 1/4s=2d, 1/4s=1d)
    g=guests (includes BOCs and visitors)
    h=bar opening hours (11 per d)
    m=members (27)
    n=number of sections (5)
    p=average drinks price (taken as £3.00)
    s=suppers (n(bm+10g)

Hold on a second......*taps frantically at calculator*

This equates to a rather staggering £££+c= £549,450

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What you using as c? In this calc it seems to be about .78947p per pint which looks v cheap for wholesale. If c= £.75 the profit would be £423,225 still not bad though.

9. Well Worth It

Which will be covered by entries and chalet costs?

10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

On the other hand .........

you could argue that the same band of people who will be spending
    (m+10g)*d(h*2ap) = 37*2.5*11*4*£3.00 = £12,210
    between them on drinks alone, not counting meals, chocolate, crisps, souvenirs etc etc

are a bit tight fisted to start quibbling over a £130 contest entrance fee. ;)

Ron

[p.s. - I'm not sure where the "2" in the 2ap comes from if "a" is already allowing for 2 ales per person per hour which probably explains why my figure comes to roughly - though not exactly even though I tried just to remove the n*b=100 - twice your estimated total; and I remain to be convinced that the average consumption (allowing for kids, grannies, teetotallers, girlies and other people who shouldn't really be at a band contest...... :rolleyes: ) is going to be 2 pints per person per hour for the entire 11hrs *2 &1/2 days......but I'd be willing to try if you're buying......]

& p.p.s don't think no-one noticed the subtle change from "-c" to "+c" after the value of "c" was challenged - are you an accountant by any chance.......

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You know, I always wondered why my teachers wanted to teach me all about numbers.

Phenomenal!!!!:metal: :terrier :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    rip off
    Pontins
    contest
    diversity
    ages
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Nah, the numbers are the easy bit, its changing them to letters that adds all the confusion!

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Well, If I go, I think Animal can buy. :)

15. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I think the quality of the accommodation at Pontins is pretty poor - but then most bandmen aren't bothered by the state of the chalets cos they're too plastered to notice! Mind you having a cold bath in the mornings does wake you up with a vengeance!!

16. Well Worth It

Spotted mate!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004