Pontins 2006 - Test Pieces Announced

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Roger Thorne, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

[​IMG]

Pontins Brass Band Festival 2006

PRESS RELEASE - 13/02/06

Pontins Announce 2006 Test Pieces

On Thursday 9th February 2006 the Pontins Brass Band Committee met to discuss the 2006 Festival were James Scott the Committees musical advisor announced the Test Pieces. He was especially pleased to announce the set work for the third section a new work by Gareth Churcher a new composer to the Brass Band scene.

All the Test Pieces and prize presentations are as follows:-

THE HARRY AND MARGARET MORTIMER CHAMPIONSHIP

Sunday 5th November 2006

Blitz – Derek Bourgeois
    Available from R.Smith & Co.

FIRST PRIZE: £2,500. + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    SECOND PRIZE: £1,300, + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    THIRD PRIZE: £700, + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    FOURTH PRIZE: £450,
    SPECIAL AWARD: TO THE YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE SECTION,
    BEST SOLOIST: THE ARTHUR BEDWELL MEMORIAL TROPHY

FIRST SECTION

Saturday 4th November 2006

Music for the Common Man - Kenneth Downie
    Available from Egon Publishers Ltd.

FIRST PRIZE: £1,750 + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    SECOND PRIZE: £900. + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    THIRD PRIZE. £650. + COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    FOURTH PRIZE: £450.
    SPECIAL AWARD: TO THE YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE SECTION.

SECOND SECTION

Sunday 5th November 2006

A Swiss Excursion – Darrol Barry
    Available from Kirklees Music

THIRD SECTION

Episodes in Brass – Gareth Churcher
    This new work will be available from Kirklees Music in Mid March

FOURTH SECTION

Facets of Glass - Gordon Langford.
    Available from Chandos Music Ltd.

As in previous years the bands who entered in 2005 and those on the waiting lists will receive priority entry forms and accommodation booking forms.
    Bands should receive these by the end of February and will be given until April 16th to return them, after which further entry forms and accommodation booking forms will be available to others.

Over the past few years the Pontins Brass Band Committee have requested suggestions for improvements to the Festival, from anyone with the Brass Band movement interest at heart.
    As a result of this consultation, changes such as borrowed players, registry information system, pre-draw, and variation on the grading system have all been adopted in order to enhance the Festival.
    Further constructive suggestions are welcome and will always be considered. We would encourage anyone to contact the contest Controllers Frank Hodges or Colin Morrison.

As a result of last years survey and recent suggestions some changes to rules are to be made and will be announced in the near future.

For further information please contact either of The Festivals Contest Controllers.

Mr Colin Morrison , 22 Rushdon Close , Grays , Essex, RM17 5QW
    Telephone/Fax Number (01375) 409807, E-mail - colin.m@onet.co.uk

Mr Frank Hodges, 39 Broxton Avenue, Orrell, Wigan, WN5 8NP
    Telephone: 01942 703217 Fax: 01942 212418 Mobile: 07930 562 768 E-mail - frankhodges@bbbr.co.uk

;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

From 3 Figures to Blitz!! And I leave my band before I get a chance to play it!

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Woohoo.

I want to come out of retirement again :biggrin:

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Does anyone know anything about "A Swiss Excursion" ? (2nd Section)
    I hope it's not a thigh slapping, body swaying, Alpenhorn Fest !!
    (Might take Contesting to new heights !!)
    Does it rate with "Images" ( or even "Prometheous") for technical and musical challenges
    Its not a "Curiously Radical Awful Piece" of music is it ?
    Sorry Mods - Just couldn't resist the anacronym.
    - Wilky

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Since the composer is a member of tMP, you might get more of an answer than you bargained for :|

Congratulations to Mr. Barry on having had one of his items selected for the contest!

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

Am so glad Music for the Common Man is back on the contest stage, wonderful piece and so listenable.

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I enjoyed his Wild West type arrangement. It was excellent.
    And of course many more of Darroll's compilations - he has a true feel for the brass band sound. I look forward with interest - it's just that the "Swiss" title seems a bit bland.
    "Common Man was a 1st Section Area piece about 6 years ago - it was a very nice and tuneful (That doesn't mean easy you young ones !!) test for the bands.
    Let's give " A Swiss Excursion " a fair crack of the whip.
    - Wilky

8. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Blitz - fantastic! :clap: :tup

9. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

Music for the Common Man

Can anyone say what to expect from Music For The Common Man. Never heard it, so is it hard and in what respect, and just some general information about it.

Thanks

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I don't doubt you will find a band to play it with!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    PLAYER
    AWARD
    COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    COMMEMORATIVE CUP SECOND
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to Darrol's website, "Swiss execursions" was commissioned by the National Youth Brass Band of Switzerland for their annual summer course, conducted by Howard Snell.

"Music for the Common Man" I believe was the 1st Sectional Regional test piece in 1999.

13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Quiet start, quiet finish, some nice cadenzas in the middle, a decent tune throughout, some nice technical runs for most people and an over all good egg of a test piece. Im sure it was regionals in 2000 as its the one we qualified for the Albert hall on. My memory is atrocious though.

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Taken from the score notes written by the composer;

Written in memory of Theodore Cooney, it was commissioned by the Swiss Brass Band Association and the Music Association of Norway for their National Brass Band Championships.

The theme, stated at the outset, is largely reflective in mood, albeit with underlying moments of tension. Fragments of it re-emerge between the fast section while all derive from the opening material. The theme returns triumphantly near the end, and after a series of changing moods, serenity and repose are re-established.
    The title has a three-way aptness. It indicates the unpretentious nature of music, it alludes to a universally known fanfare and symphony, and it makes a fitting tribute to my uncle who died while I was writing the music, and who did much to encourage me as a composer.

Although published by Egon Publishers Ltd., band sets are now available from us and listed on the World of Brass website HERE.

15. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

You will be glad to know there are no cheesy alpine effects or yodelling (at least not intentional)!

It was commissioned by Markus Bach for the National Youth Band of Switzerland sometime in the 80's I think :-? He asked me for a colourful piece of music with a level of difficulty for the 1st section and infact it was used at Pontins in the late 90's as a 1st section test piece. It could prove to be a bit of a challenge for the 2nd section.

There are three movements, the first of which is Zurich Fantasy which will requires nimble flugel and first baritone players. The second movement Mountain Moods features the solo horn and solo cornet in some exposed playing. The finale is San Moritz Scherzo and requires the timpani player to have a big match temperament. There is plenty to do for the whole band and the central section features xylophone and glock, the big finish recalls music from the second movement.

It has been recorded by the Swiss National B Band but I wouldn't recommend it :D

Think the bands and audience should enjoy it, if not go to the Queen Vic;)

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's really excellent feed back direct from the composer - wonderful!
    I'm quite looking forward to it now.
    It's a shame we can't get informed composer comment on the web for all test pieces and make it compulsory reading for Adjudicators !!
    Might have trouble getting info from those no longer with us though I believe Eric Ball was into Spiritualism !!
    Thanks for your trouble DB much appreciated.
    ( A trip to the Queen Vic is also an essential experience !!)
    - Wilky

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:hammer

Blitz is an excellent choice as is Music for the Common Man :tup

18. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Just listened to Blitz. Sounds like an excellent piece to play. It has been said it is quite difficult, technically. Have you played it before? If so what's it like?

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well you can count me out ONCE again to come and listen to the Harry Mortimer Contest.
    Plus i would have liked to have seen Tallis Variations for the 1st section.
    Played Music for the Common Man at area:(
    But dont worry we wont be going to Pontins for a good number of reasons;)

20. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Your loss, it's a cracking weekend!

21. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's a great piece.

The thing that originally threw people in 1981 when it was used for London were the nested tuplets. There are things like triplets within a quintuplet (or similar). A lot of the semiquaver stuff is relatively tame by today's standards, but there's fun to be had by all ;)

There are a few awkward bits rhythmically (aren't there always) along with some interestingly low solo cornet parts (bottom F#s anyone with the back row?), but on the whole a good piece to rehearse and play. Well, it was for me anyway :D

Oh, and I think it's written in open key as well, so there are lots of accidentals...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    PLAYER
    AWARD
    COMMEMORATIVE CUP
    COMMEMORATIVE CUP SECOND