Pontin Tests 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Andy_Euph, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Probably in a knee jerk reaction to Butlins announcing there pieces a whole year in advance I see that the tests for this years Pontins have been announced.

Championship - Cloudcatcher Fells - John McCabe

1st - Sinfonietta - The Wayfarer - Eric Ball

2nd - Royal Mile Suite - Alan Fernie

3rd - Sinfonietta - Joseph Horovitz

4th - An Elgar Portrait - Dan Price

Nice to see a work of a fellow Salford gradute getting picked, well done Dan :biggrin:
  2. bigcol

bigcol Member

Royal Mile 2nd section? Bit high me thinks. In fact I think they've got the 2nd and 3rd section pieces the wrong way around.
  3. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

How imaginative.
    Not heard for years then twice in the same section within 18 months.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Because most bands will know it and perhaps won't have to devote as much rehearsal time to it in what can be a very busy couple of months of the contesting year?

Anyway, its a great piece and I will be urging my band to enter.
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Royal Mile suite also within the last few years. (Butlins 3rd section) Boring again ... it's only going to add to reasons why people don't keep contesting. Bands like a new challenge.
  6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

sorry I have to disagree on this one.

I did'nt think it was a great piece last year (not Eric Balls best by a long way) and I waould much rather have a new challenge than something we played so recently.

If a band can't prepare 2/3 different test pieces in a year then they need to have a good look at themselves.

Will still try and get my band to go - the bar will be open as usual :D
  7. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

my old band were playing royal mile suite in 4th section last year :S
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Or maybe its because they always get the details and invites out at this time if year ;)

Gutted about the choice of pieces - Wayfarer is a bit of a let down after Partita!
  9. Timpking

Timpking Member

Cloudcatcher Fells Again?!!:frown: Rubbish!

This was used at Pontins in 1999!

I feel more sorry for the 1st section bands having to play last years area piece.

Surely there must be better and more suitable choices than this. If not the banding movement is in more trouble than we think.

It's time that the music panel got out of their cocoons once in a while!!
  10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Well said.

Cloudcatcher Fells - BORING!
  11. jim

jim Member

I feel these are very negative choises, in the times when there is more music than ever before why do they have to pick a peices that have been used so recentley. My desions made drinking only next year no playing!!!!!!
  12. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

Why do the 1st section bands always have 'yellow music' set as test pieces? We have just moved down from a couple of years in the champ section and we are back to Eric Ball's Sinfonietta - The Wayfarer. It was boring last time I played it (4 years ago), so i'm sure it will be even more boring second time round.
    I might try and convince our band to give Pontins a miss this year and try for Butlins instead!
  13. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Admittedly, I don't have to play them, but I am quite looking forward to hearing both Cloudcather and Wayfarer at Pontins. Both great pieces, in my opinion, and both with enough to test the bands, musicially. Granted, both have been used recently (is 9 years ago recent though?) but as I didn't have any first hand experience of them, I'm not personally too bothered! Can see where bands, especially in the 1st section are coming from though, as it is perhaps a bit soon to re-use Wayfarer. Still a great piece though.
    Don't know too much about the 2nd section piece, but Sinfonietta (anything by Joeseph Horovitz for that matter) is a great piece, so we will be looking forward to playing that in October.
    However, big well done to my friend Dan Price on getting selected in the 4th section. It's a great piece, and I'm sure bands will really enjoy working on it. Congratulations, Dan (and happy banking!) :D
  14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Eh? I always had you down as intellegent.............

Of all the pieces that would test 1st section bands, they pick something that was used at last year's areas. The year before 1st section bands at Butlins and Pontins both had to play the same piece (Music for a Common Man- Downie).

That'll pull the audiences in, listening to something they've not heard in a while................
  15. jim

jim Member

The peicses however are great peicses, Wayfarer is one of my all time favroutes.
  16. Timpking

Timpking Member

It doesn't matter if the champ and 1st section choices are great or not. They are BORING!!!:mad:

Most things in the world have changed in the last nine years however the brass band movement has stood still, oh no sorry my mistake stepped back in time.

Next idea will be to use Festival music as the nationals piece.
    That's INOVATION for you. NOT!!!
  17. My thoughts of doing Wayfarer again .... I personally hate doing the same stuff (even after years apart).

I have nothing against the music...its a stern test, it has good bits in but we did it to death last year. Whats wrong with some other music (e.g Seascapes, Trittico, Tallis Variations, Variations on a 9th, Prisms, Connotations, The Beacons etc etc.)

I might be in the minority cos its clearly a popular choice with some, but I don't relish the thoughts of performing the Wayfarer again.

I'm interested in what others think??

ps this is not necessarily the view of my band, just my own reaction.
  18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

My thanks to you sir, very astute. :)

From a purely selfish point of view. My band will be faced with an own choice test piece contest at the beginning of October, Pontins at the end of October, An entertainment contest in early November and another own choice test piece contest at the end of November. Now with potentially three test piece contests in a two month period I would guess that the band will not want to do the same piece at all three. Faced with the still relatively fresh in the mind choice of Wayfarer for Pontins we are more likely to attend because we won't need as much rehearsal time on that particular piece.
  19. Congratulations Dan!! I'm very pleased for you - i look forward to playing it! x
  20. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

GRRRR. (this is not the view of my band, just myself)

A big step forward for the banding movement!? I don't think it has moved since I before I started playing. Granted I'm only 21, 9 years is a massive amount of time in other music, especially pop! I'm not saying I like the latest chart sound, but at least it's different to the spice girls, and steps and whatever was around less than 10 years ago!

Using a piece this soon in play, and particularly one that wasn't very popular (check the forums and band rooms everywhere) within the 1st section bands, not long ago!
    It infuriates me that these choices are allowed to take place, I must add, apart from the 4th section test piece, it is lovely that a new work has been written especially.
    I look at the Butlins test pieces, and I recognise one piece. I look at the Pontins test pieces and recognise 3. I also look at the regionals pieces for this year and wonder when we will play Festival Overture, or anything circa 1950.

One good thing about this, (IF we decide to do pontins this year- a great shame as we did pretty well last year) is that we won't have to spend too long on it, and perhaps could slot in another contest before the areas.

Rant over!