Pomp & Circumstance NO 4 - Sop Part

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassendworld, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Does anyone have a spare legal original of the above part, its the Original Boosey no 490 version.

Please Pm me if you can help

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

After Peter closed your last thread on this subject, I would venture to suggest that this music is now in the public domain. Correct me if I am wrong, but both the composer (Elgar) and arranger (Ord Hume) are out of copyright. Also, the music was printed almost 100 years ago.

I would also suggest that to photocopy one part to replace a lost or damaged one is generally considered acceptable.

While I don't condone the wholesale flouting of copyright laws, I think you are fine in this instance.

Could we have some clarification please from one of our resident experts?
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

This is an interesting scenario!

Duncan, you may be perfectly right here (I suspect you are) but there's actually no way we can be sure without consulting Boosey's.

They only needed to make small editorial changes to the original to create a 'new edition' which could still be in copyright. In fact, thinking about it further, as Studio Music now sell Boosey's brass band publications, they would have certainly made changes to the parts (new copyright lines, ISMNs, maybe a newly set title) which might be enough to establish new graphic copyright, which has a life of 25 years.

A good parallel would be this year's 3rd section Area piece, which I believe has been reset and has therefore re-established copyright in the piece. Even though Percy Fletcher is now PD, this piece now isn't.

My advice would be to phone Studio Music (01582 432139) and, probably for the price of a pint, a new part could have been with you already.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Studio normally charge about £2.50 for a single replacement - and send it quickly.
    Great service and it keeps you 100% legal.