PolySteel Youth Wow the Crowds In Cardiff

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by weenie, Jun 18, 2008.

1. weenie

weenie Member

The newly formed PolySteel Youth Band took to the road on Sunday 15th June for it's first performance at Cardiff's Millennium Centre under the baton of it's talented musical director Tom Davoran.

Before heading over the bridge to the Welsh capital, the band enjoyed a buffet at the PolySteel Bandroom in Quedgeley organised by members of the senior band.

After a short rehearsal it was time to grace the stage. PYB opened up their programme with the classic William Rimmer march 'Slaidburn', before flugel soloist Elly King took to the stand and performed a quite beautiful rendition of 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' from the musical 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. Next up the band whizzed through a foot tapping arrangement of Lalo Schifrin's 'Mission Impossible'. Then to calm things down, the audience were treated to the 'Hymn To St. Barnabas' from Philip Harper's 'Gallimaufry Suite'.

The youth band's percussion section were then featured in Gordon Langford's wonderful arrangement of 'Men Of Harlech' which kept the locals happy. The band then played their final piece of the afternoon, Jock Mckenzie's 'Invention' for brass band which brought the curtain down on a wonderfully played programme.
    There was of course the obligatory encore in the shape of Derek Broadbent's arrangement of 'The Floral Dance'.

So that was it then, PYB's first public performance outside the county of Gloucestershire certainly brought a ray of sunshine to a rather damp Cardiff on a Sunday afternoon. Let's hope it is not too long before they perform there once again.
  2. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Sounds like it was a good concert, welldone to PSB
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Unfortunately I couldn't be there but having spoken to my Daughter Becky who plays 1st Horn for PYB she had a great time.

Many congratulations to Tom and the Band. Having listened to the band rehearse over the last few months Tom has got this group of talented youngsters playing with much precision and style and the sound they produce with what is still an understrength band is huge.:clap:

Well done All
  4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Thought the band played really well!
    Well done Tom and everyone else involved!
    hope to see you all soon ;)
  5. jim

jim Member

They were superb very proud of them, there quirte playing in 'Hymn to st barnibus' was particuley special.
  6. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

You spelt my name right :D
    It was really fun.