PolySteel Announce New Youth Band.

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by weenie, Jan 8, 2008.

1. weenie

weenie Member

The PolySteel Band is proud to announce the birth of a new youth band for the South West of England.

The PolySteel Youth Band (PYB) aims to provide first class tuition in brass and percussion including coaching from experienced instrumentalists within the PolySteel Band itself and featuring guest tuition from prominent figures in the banding world.
    PYB is directed by tuba player and composer Tom Davoren. Tom, a recent graduate of the Royal Welsh College of Music and current composition student at Cardiff University, is committed to developing a vibrant approach to music at PYB, combining traditional and well established methods with the unique sense of style and flare the can only be found at the PolySteel Band.

PYB will also enjoy strong links with the senior band, giving members a taste of what it takes to be in top flight banding through attending and performing at PolySteel concerts and sitting in on selected rehearsals.

Senior Band MD Philip Harper had this to say:

"I'm absolutely delighted that the PolySteel Band is to have a youth band. It will create wonderful links with our local community and provide first-class tuition and guidance for local children, aiming for the level of excellence associated with the PolySteel brand. I'm really excited about discovering and nurturing the fantastic young stars of the future in our local area."

In addition to this the band are proud to announce Wright and Round Publishing of Gloucester as the PYB’s official music supplier, whose generosity has provided the band with a library of new and exciting music, including the music of Philip Harper.

The first rehearsal of the PolySteel Youth Band will be on Tuesday 5th February, 6.30pm at the senior bandroom in Quedgeley. So if you, a friend or family member are aged 18 years or under and would relish the challenge of making music with one of the UK’s premier brass ensembles contact PYB director Tom Davoren at:

E-mail: youthband@polysteelband.co.uk

Tel: 07815 101751

For directions to the band room visit:

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Excellent plan - the very best of luck with it :D
  3. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Well done to all at Polysteel, good to see this happening in Gloucestershire.
  4. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Nice one, best of luck with the venture. How long do the rehearsals last?
  5. weenie

weenie Member

Thanks Kis. At the moment rehearsals are due to last an hour.
  6. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Woop Polysteel ! ;) haha
  7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Great News.....Good luck with the project

We have already made enquiries about it for our Daughter Becky
  8. This is a brilliant idea, as a current member of Greater Gwent Youth Brass Band, i know how much fun it is and improves you as a player a great deal. The yougsters will have amazing players around them in the main band. I wish the youth band the best of sucess! :tup
  9. jim

jim Member

Very proud of you Tom, you know I and the band are behind you 110%.

Jamie if only you were a few years younger!!!
  10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Would be helpful if Tom would answer his phone tho! Hard to find out more if he doesn't!
  11. i know james! it would be great and i would like to help arrainge maybe a joint concert with polysteel youth band and maybe gwent in the future wat you think, just an idea.... i know its early days but who knows.
  12. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Just spoken to Tom, he got back to me really quickly to be fair.

Most helpful and it all sounds very interesting.

Good luck with it Guys and Gals!
  13. jpbray

jpbray Member

Let's hope this is not just a voice in the wilderness, and other bands pick up the gauntlet of forming a youth band (those who have one well done). Good luck to Polysteel.