Poll : Web Site of the Month : December 2006

Discussion in 'tMP Website of the Month' started by Di, Dec 1, 2006.

?

Web Site of the Month : December 2006

Poll closed Jan 1, 2007.
  1. [url]www.hebdenbridgeband.co.uk[/url]

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. [url]www.poyntonband.co.uk[/url]

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. [url]http://www.hangletonband.co.uk/[/url]

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. [url]http://www.baadsvik.com/[/url]

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. [url]www.newbridgeband.co.uk[/url]

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Di

Di Active Member

Rightyo ladies and gents. Voting is now in session for web site of the month for December 2006. :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rightyo
    Month
    December
    Web Site
    Rightyo ladies
  3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

A&n

How come Aveley & Newham bands website is not on the above list? I believe it was the 3rd band to be nominated and seconded last month??..

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

See rules and Guidelines:
    there were 6 seconded nominations this month, so we had to reduce it to 5

5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Fair enough- but as A & N were the 3rd band to be nominated (and quickly seconded)- before 3 of the above sites, shouldnt they be in the first 5 (and therefore in the list above) ???

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It's a conspiracy.......

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

...against the Essex Boys (and girls!)!!! :)

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Again, if you read the R&G's:

So unfortunately the A&N site didn't make the final five. The time and speed of the nomination and second have nothing to do with whether the site is put forward to the final poll or not.

9. DesignNotes

DesignNotes New Member

Newbridge band, server very slow... site took over 5 seconds to load. So I didn't look at the site.

Baadsvik - Poor design, frames are a nightmare! accessiblity non existant. But I do like the design to your CD! Very nice! :)

Hangleton - Nice crisp design, i like it! link to your stylesheet! don't paste the code in every single html file, it makes updating a pain! also you don't need to use javascript for your rollovers, try using the css hover function. Overall i like this site. If you need some ideas on how you could use CSS rollovers, drop me a line I'll send you some code and walkthroughs.

Poynton - The design is a bit weak, but there's lots of content. Maybe just a bit of neating up is needed? you need to pull all the elements together. From a coding point of view, have you considered using CSS? Accessiblity is going to be a big thing in a few years time.

Hebden - Again another site which needs something to bring the site together, graphical elements do make a big difference!

-

My vote goes to Hangleton!

-

Overall I think the main thing which was lacking from all of these sites was accessiblity! It really does matter, all designers should be thinking about this now! Consider using CSS, and link to the CSS, don't paste it in the header of every page! That way if you want to adjust the design of your site you only have to deal with one page, not hundreds!

Design does matter, and so does navigation. I want to be able to get somewhere quickly, or you need to persuade me I want to go there! ;)

Hosting! It needs to be reliable and fast. If possible use email addresses which are you're domain, you can always forward them to your usual work pop3 account, but on first impressions its more professional!

And please don't post you're email in plain html code, you will get spammed! Encode it!
    http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html
    Or use a PHP form, or function.

Laurence

10. alks

alks Member

i agree wit design notes above, accessibility and web standards etc is where its at and where its all heading.
    XHTML/CSS should be used. Web design has really moved on recently and its difficult to keep up with it all!! its so fast moving.

alks

11. Mofman

Mofman Member

I'd like DesignNotes to explain further why the design of Poyntons website is a bit weak? Looking at Hangleton, its pretty much the same layout, ie Menu Bar running across the top.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rightyo
    Month
    December
    Web Site
    Rightyo ladies
  13. DesignNotes

DesignNotes New Member

The design of Hangleton is all enclosed, a fixed width, with a 1px black border around all the content, creating a neat and crisp design. The background colour is not used on the mainsite, so it creates the impression that the site is sitting on top of it.

The Poyntons site, is not a fixed width, certain page elements are wider than the top header, and the left spacing is not the same on all pages (see events). It looks like orginally you had a specified width, but over time certain content has been added which has exceeded this width.

The left hand side is fine the design flows, due to the coloured block, but because there's nothing on the right hand side all the content looks quite messy. There's nothing to contain the content and it simply becomes one with the white background.

(DocType is missing which means that the site views differently on different browsers)

-

For both sites, consider search engine optimizing your sites! MetaTags! Google uses your page title as the google title, so make it a good one and include words people might search for. The description google lists is the first paragraph of text on your site! So make sure this is relevant, you want people to click on your site not someone elses! You can always use negative margins and a divlayer to hide this text from the main site.

Hope that sheds a little light! Laurence

14. kcbwebmaster

kcbwebmaster New Member

I agree totally a good explanation. My vote also goes to Hangleton.

15. Mofman

Mofman Member

Has Poynton won then?

16. Di

Di Active Member

Yup, they certainly have. Well done Poynton. I will send notification to the webmaster today. :)

17. Mofman

Mofman Member

That'll be me then! Yippee!!!

18. Mofman

Mofman Member

Do we get a banner to put on our website?

19. Di

Di Active Member

Ah, you saved me another job then.

Hi Mofman, you won. :clap:

(Just kidding ... email with you in a few mins ;) )