POLL: "Cheating" at contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Mar 18, 2010.

At contest I think bands should...

1. Do whatever they can get away with to win

77 vote(s)
  2. Moving parts around is ok, but not changing instruments, adding mutes etc

49 vote(s)
  3. Stick faithfully to the scoring etc of the music

27 vote(s)
  4. Stop worrying and get to the bar :)

60 vote(s)
  5. Something different (I have posted below!)

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nethers

nethers Active Member

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Where? :confused:

Ah, there it is!
  3. nethers

nethers Active Member

You are allowed to select more than one answer if you feel so inclined!
  4. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

Good idea
    Will be interesting to see what the majority thinks this way.
  5. wittig

wittig Member

no clear majority...now there's a surprise in the brass band world. It's a well known fact that banders can't agree on anything.
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well, I'm not sure that's true. ;)
  7. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I don't think you can change instruments during a contest performance. Not brass instruments anyway. It's against the rules for the Nationals, and I presume for most other contests too. You are allowed to play percussion instruments as well as your brass instrument.

I believe this rule came in 100 years or so ago when Black Dyke's Euph player won the best euph soloist and also the best trom soloist prizes from the same performance. He used a valved trombone to win the best trom prize. Something like that anyway.
  8. wittig

wittig Member

I'm not sure that's what was meant Tam, I thought it was like passing the baritone solo on to the euphonium player that was implied - maybe not though. I'm firmly in the do anything to win camp.

The MD's interpretation ranks so highly with most adjudicators that I think anything that can make your performance stand out from the others is fair game. If the adjudicator's criteria was purely to play the music as accurately as possible regarding tempo, dynamics, style etc then I can see the argument being that it is cheating, but the goalposts are never fixed in position so anything goes as far as I am concerned
  9. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

The poll % don't add up to 100%...?
  10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

...and if you add the number of votes in each category, it's 111, not the 89 shown as the total.

It rather dents one's faith in polls, doesn't it?
  11. The Wherryman

While I was posting the above, the total changed to 91 total, but 114 if you add the individual voters :confused:
  12. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Is this to do with the fact that you can select more than one option?

I bet if the first person to vote selected two options they would have both shown 100%.
  13. The Wherryman

Doesn't this make any result less than meaningful, then?
  14. Chippy_Cornet

Chippy_Cornet Member

How ironic!!

A poll to get views on the flaws of adjudication and contesting, that is flawed itself!!!

15. nethers

nethers Active Member

At this point 45 of 144 have voted for 'anything goes', which is 39.47% as stated. There is the option to vote for more than one option if someone feels the need. Lots of people have wanted to cast more than one vote, and that is fine.
  16. nethers

nethers Active Member

We seem to be getting a bit of a leader now... interesting to see a few big names throwing their oar in on the main thread, I think it shows how emotive and deeply penetrated these issues are.

Vote on!
  17. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Stick faithfully to the scoring etc. -----
    Thats got to be the no ambition lower section 'happy to settle for an average performance because we dare'nt do anything different to whats directed on the score' brigade.
    I say, do whatever you can get away with to 'get the right performance'
    The end product is what counts.
    I've cheated all my playing career in order to fool people into thinking I can play a bit. Bluff bluff and more blluff!
  18. killer

killer Member

you never convinced me Butler;)
  19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I remember telling you once that hair was a good thing --- you were'nt convinced then either :D
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Me too, and I'm actually proud of it !!
    But you already know that, having had me sat next to you for nigh on ten years !!
    Killer was (is) a much respected member of our waggle and blow club.
    It's a technique only achieved through dedicated practice and perseverance !!
    (and, of course, cultivating that steady unblinking gaze into the MDs eyes daring him/her (PC) to challenge your musical artistry !)

- Mr Wilx (YBB)