Polite response would be nice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mofman, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Mofman

Mofman Member

Rants begins....

Why is it that people post requests/info about seeking a band or are available for depping yet never seem to a) update their posts or b) reply to Private Messages. Surely if you are seeking a band or offering a service it's common courtesy to keep us all updated as to what you have chosen to do?

Rant over. And relax.

2. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

This is one of my pet hates. There is someone on here who regularly advertises herself as looking for a band but when you P.M. her she doesn't reply! Makes my blood boil!!! Grrr.....

3. Blower

Blower Member

Name and shame?

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It's like folk who put their house on the market with no intention of selling. It's just to see how much interest there is and how much it is valued at.
    Time wasting teasers !

- Mr Wilx

5. nethers

nethers Active Member

It's like watching Nigella Lawson and the camera keeps showing pictures of food and cooking. Very inconsiderate.

6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Not Guilty - I always reply. Just dont get many offers :'(

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There are quite a few people that do that kind of thin g, being wanting to dep/find bands, and selling or "selling" property!!! Time wasters or not being polite enoiugh to let other people know what they are doing!

8. nethers

nethers Active Member

To be fair, if someone can't be bothered to reply to a message or check their details are still correct, they're probably not going to bring much to your ensemble.

9. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Guilty!

Shoot me if you wish, I will own up as being one of those pains on the backside and I will tell you why.

I have requested joining a new band, I tell me my requirements and I get responses back from bands 40 odd miles away. Its not what i asked for.
    Then there are the ones, who I do respond to and for whatever reason, they don't take no for an answer, and you end up replying to there private messages upteen times. I have better things to do. Sometimes is best to ignore.

Sorry

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Majority of the problems with this issue on here (and always have been) is students offering their services.
    People end up going to uni or conservatoire and they think that suddenly they are "all that" and trying to make a fast ££ (usually a lot!) out of it. Sad I know, but its the environment they find themselves in.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rants
    band
    service
    requests
    info
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Andy, that can be a problem. I've seen players go through it myself. They'll come to band and say "Oh I'm depping for Crossley's carpets at the weekend, should be able to sting em for a few quid there!"

What they tend not to realise is that If you sting them for £80 for a job, they'll pay you..... once. And then word gets around, and that's the last depping work you see.

Far more productive is to have a reasonable rate for bands that can afford it (my rate goes down if the band are nice to me) and a 'favours' system for bands that obviously can't. For example I have an understanding with Wetherby band that I've never charged them more than a pint and a lift for a contest/concert etc. and if my band's been short a player, one of my mates from there will help out on a similar basis.

You see less brass in the short term, but you make a lot more friends and contacts who are willing to reciprocate - and more importantly you keep getting the jobs.

13. Mofman

Mofman Member

I feel as though I should reply to this thread to at least not fall into the same criticism that's being discussed. I can sympathise with Stella's comments but a reply at the end of a thread to say you've found a seat or you're not looking anymore would solve the problem. Once people know what your choice has been they'll most likely stop pestering you. You can ignore them then if they still continue to bother you.

14. Mofman

Mofman Member

Sorry that wouldn't be the right thing to do. There may be a genuine reason (ill, accident or even a bereavement) Wouldn't want to upset folk.

15. StellaJohnson

I've been on the recieving end of both. Just over a year ago i responded to an ad on 4br for a band advertising for a bass player. Emailed them as said, zero response only to find out months later they are still advertising for the same seat! Thats annoying and fruastrating.

You only have to look at the recruitment threads for people looking for band and people post that they have a vacancy, They are miles away and is obvious to me they are having a go and see what happens, nothing ventured. I have no problem with that, but should I be inclined to respond to them. Some may disagree with me, but I feel no I shouldn't. Just imagine if you had a inbox in your private messages with 6 or so responses that are not what you asked for.

Last year I had a pm after trying to find a band, for an offer to do the area for a band down south. what do you think my answer would be!!??

Its so easy to agree and say its out of order and it is to some extent, but stop posting offers that you know and I know are not what I asked for and is not suitable whatsoever!!

My rant is over to!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  16. nethers

nethers Active Member

Bare in mind that many bands are desperate to fill empty seats. I wouldn't think twice about trying to contact someone who ticks most of the boxes, even if some big boxes ares till empty.

I guess this method is better than 'poaching' :p

Remember too that what goes around comes around, the person you ignore today may be the person ignoring you tomorrow.

17. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

But, if I'm ignoring them, how will I know when they are ignoring me? :dunno

18. nethers

nethers Active Member

:clap: Excellent, you win the internet!

19. StellaJohnson

whatever you do Marc, don't pm a vacancy your band, New Zealand is a little to far for me and you will get ignored!!

20. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Dear Stella

The Pearly B Band are on the look out for a bass player.

Ideally one with their own teeth (not sure if you tick this box, sorry).

Anyway, since the carolling ASBO incident we have been kicked out of the Scout Hut, so we could come to you for rehearsals.

How are you fixed for next Thursday?

Your new bandmate, Bob

21. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Who said that?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rants
    band
    service
    requests
    info